South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
For a not so delicate problem. Those of you that disperse camp for extended periods, where do you look to dispose of your trash that has accumulated? I mean when you are on the road @Road :grinning: and aren't headed back home or through a campground where a bin is located do you drive through McDonald's and throw it in theirs? Find the county dump? Bury it (JK NR)? I can see where those duffle bag thingys hanging on the spare works for a while but at some point...you gotta leave a dump! Be honest, where is the worst place you have ever dumped?

Reactions: Road

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

By extended period what do you mean just long enough to accumulate trash, week, month, etc?
We normally camp for a 2 day weekend, at most a week. We pack trash in grocery bags and throw it in Walmart or maybe McDonald's or similar stores trash can if needed but usually we pack it home and burn it.
I'd imagine more than a week and you'll want to burn it or figure out a way to compact it.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I get rid of the garbage everytime I gas up.
Road side rest stops usually have garbage bins too.
If you do it daily, there should not be very much.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
like @Boostpowered said..we also use the plastic grocery bags and then use the handles to tie them up and put in a bigger trash bag. trash will reek to high hell, especially in the summer, so the big duffle bag or trasharoo is nice to have to keep trash outside of the vehicle and secure from small animals. once we leave the location, we can then start throwing the small grocery bags out a few at a time at a rest area trash can, gas station, etc.

if we're at a walmart and see a pick up with colorado or california plates, we might throw a few bags in the back of the bed.

i couldnt imagine burning or burying any of it, though

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For a not so delicate problem. Those of you that disperse camp for extended periods, where do you look to dispose of your trash that has accumulated? I mean when you are on the road @Road :grinning: and aren't headed back home or through a campground where a bin is located do you drive through McDonald's and throw it in theirs? Find the county dump? Bury it (JK NR)? I can see where those duffle bag thingys hanging on the spare works for a while but at some point...you gotta leave a dump! Be honest, where is the worst place you have ever dumped?

Ha - oh boy, @FishinCrzy, you've opened up a topic important to me. Thanks for asking.

Here's a whole mess of info on what I've learned as an adventurer who is gone for months at a time, usually off-grid and away.

The TLDR; version is:

Be Organized
Haul It In, Haul It Out
Leave It Better Than You Found It

The details, for anyone who cares to wade through it, apply more to extended-stay back country camping, long-term travel, and off-grid living. I often go several months without seeing a fast food place or stop light, so may approach things differently.

In weekend or week-long adventures where you encounter more urban and highway stops, or can haul trash home at the end of the week, it is much easier to deal with. Much of this will apply, though, to camping organization on shorter trips.

I generate very little trash when long-term camping back country. When I say long term, I mean from several weeks to several months or more. I consider it an interesting challenge to see how little waste I can generate, and how little I have to then deal with daily or haul out.

My biggest haul out is always returnables/recyclables. I do not like trashing aluminum or plastic that can be recycled. When down on the border or up in the mountains, I regularly make it part of supply runs and exploring to haul returnables--often 50 miles or more each way--to the nearest place I can drop them off, at which time I'll drop off any small bag of trash I have, too. I take the opportunity to refill water containers, as well. It's also when I catch up with people I've gotten to know at places I've visited over the years. Becomes part of one's routine. A market day when you get everything done in one run.

MINIMIZE WHAT YOU HAUL IN

PACKAGING:
What really helps is to get rid of packaging right at the market before I put it in my fridge. Buy fresh food, not canned or pre-packaged, including meats and fish. A lot of places let you bring your own containers when buying grains, coffee beans, and proteins and vegetables.

IF I have to buy Styrofoam trays under anything; those weird absorbent pads under chicken and fish (which get real smelly real fast in camp); pre-packaged cello wraps with labels; six pack holders, cardboard around beer, or any other packaging, I try to get rid of it at the grocery before the goods go in my fridge or pantry. That crap goes in the market's trash, not mine. Saves space to use my own reusable containers, and saves space in my trash to get rid of packaging then, not later.

Even fast food packaging when I'm on the interstate or over-nighting at truck stops; all that packaging comes off and gets thrown away at the restaurant. Just give me the burger in paper; I don't need the box, the bag, and twenty napkins.

SHOPPING BAGS: I take my own reusable shopping bags in, too, wherever I can. In Maine you pay less when you bring your own bags because we're a long time big recycling, low-impact state going back decades. So it's been a habit most of my adult life. What I use most is the black folding We Love Local container in the image below. I have half a dozen of them; they fold flat, are easy to store, and are wicked handy for a number of camp chores. I keep daily kitchen stuff like my JetBoil, coffee, utensils, & sink stuff in one, too, for easy packing.

grocerycontainer-8645crop-900.jpg
Black carrier; folds flat; holds a lot; very handy for getting groceries as well as for general camp storage.

STAY ORGANIZED IN CAMP IN REGARDS TO WASTE

FOOD WASTE: I keep all veggie trimmings, eggshells, etc separate from other trash and try to minimize anything smelly. It's really not hard. I'm solo and a clean-plater, so easy to plan my meals to not have waste. Leftovers go in Ziploc 4oz square mini-containers and right into the fridge. I also keep all condiments and peppers, olives, etc in those containers because they stack so nice and take up such little space in my fridge.

The organic food waste mentioned above goes in a small bio/compostable bag in a vinyl bag that always hangs on the handle of my van's rear door. It's a simple part of kitchen routine and convenient to my work flow.

for biobags_5257-900.jpeg
Small vinyl trash bag holder with hook-n-loop top and zippered bottom to store more bags and facilitate cleaning.

I put NO smelly food waste in the Spare Tire Bag on my trailer. It's more likely to attract animals at night or leave behind grease smells etc that linger and can still attract animals weeks later. If you camp in bear country often, you might know what I mean. If dealt with every other day or so; the bio bag from inside my van door gets rolled up, air squeezed out, then put in a gallon ziploc with other bags like it, if need be, and there's no odor to bother. Simple to haul out when you get out.

PAPER WASTE: What little I generate (paper towels, empty cardboard rolls, etc) I use to start fires or burn when having a fire. I don't burn anything that will stay behind. If I DO have anything after a night's fire that has not burned, the cold coals get raked and anything not ash gets bagged and hauled out with food trash mentioned above. I try to minimize the amount of paper towels I use, opting for lightweight towels I can rinse for general cooking and cleaning chores.

TIP: Keep a ziploc for paper towels used to drain bacon or to wipe out a pan after cooking bacon or burgers. Helps a fire get started.

OTHER TRASH: There really isn't much after all the above, but it goes in a bag hooked to the inside of my Spare Tire Bag. Easily hauled out to a road side rest area trash can or trash at the market. As it has no food or human waste, it's never a problem. Even fits into the small openings on trash barrels at fuel stops. The reason a lot of them have small openings, by the way, is that too many people were stuffing their household and RV trash bags into them every time they filled up.

GARB-toggles_7769-800.jpeg
Spare Tire Bag trash bag for non-food waste. I know a lot of folks put their smelly food waste in the Spare Tire Bag. I won't.
If you're handling your kitchen right, you won't have smelly waste and your Spare Tire Bag won't be attracting bears, raccoons, or bugs, etc.

DISPOSING OF TRASH:

I do NOT bury food or trash, nor dig cat holes for human waste. FAR too much of that happening, even in the most remote of places.

With the sheer number of folks hitting the trails, many of whom just don't know better or don't care, it's disgusting how often waste of all sorts is not disposed of properly. Many places do not allow digging of cat holes for human waste anymore, because there are SO many being dug. You're asked to haul out all waste, human and otherwise. Haul it in, haul it out. Leave nothing behind. Simple, really; you just have to be prepared to do so.

Folks not being prepared to do so has become a problem in towns near popular camping and river-running spots. Way too much improper waste being dumped, and some towns people and small biz in those towns are pissed.

For human waste, I now have a Nature's Head, but for long time used a 5 gal bucket and liner with peat moss. Properly done, either can be used for a very long time before having to empty, as long as you keep solids and liquids separate. And, if you do it right, the end product can be spread around your roses at home. The bucket is the same idea as the Nature's Head; solids and liquids separate, just a poor man's version. Believe me, it works, with no offensive odor.

Like others have said, using small bags to put one's daily trash in, then taking it with you when you gas up or run for supplies, it's then much easier to use a trash can or dumpster without adding a big lawn bag full of stuff at the end of a week or two.

I use the bio/compostable bags as much as I can instead of the plastic grocery bags, as the biodegradable bags break down much faster in landfill. Ever see whole fence rows flying bags, or cactus way out in the desert with plastic bags stuck to them?

I use the compostable bags for picking up other people's trash, too, which I do a lot. I keep a pair of orange gloves and a bag or two in an orange day pack I use for walking around.

Orange because it's what I have and for working on my van, though others then notice and ask "You work for the state?"

I say "Nope, just picking up trash others left behind." It most always starts a conversation about how easy it is to not generate trash when camping and what they can do, too, to lessen the impacts of camping, whether in a state park, back country in WMA or BLM, or elsewhere.

It is also easy to dispose of picked up trash when you get back to a WMA office or park HQ, etc. They appreciate that you've policed an area and let you dispose of it in their dumpster along with your own trash.

Orangeglove-biobag_5515-900.jpg
Bio-compostable bags; durable long enough to use, though break down far more easily in landfills.

doyourpart_0216-900.jpeg

Do Your Part
Haul It In, Haul It Out

Leave It Better Than You Found It

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

What Road said, 100% agree. I also burn as much as I can when I can. Much of my trips are in Baja, so I will often use the city dumps.
We used to take empty 55’s to some of the beaches, the locals would burn them down and sort out the cans. We quit doing that.
You can minimize your trash with some though and using fresh food, not prepackaged store bought.

Reactions: WilhelmB and Road

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Any biz with a dumpster out in the open. I'm a field tech, my work truck would be filled with garbage if I didn't toss it in the customers dumpster.

I don't think anyone would be upset about you throwing away your trash responsibly in their dumpster. Rest stops have dumpsters as well. But for ''out of town plates'' only. In California, you can just toss your garbage in the center of any town intersection.

I burn most of my garbage at the camp fire.

Reactions: Louiston and Road

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks, ya'll, and @Road , I knew you would have the environmentally friendly answer and comprehensive details I was looking for. Going for longer and longer stays it was something that came to mind when getting gas and looking at the rather small hole on their trash can I realized there are limits to what one can do where. I was doing most of that but now I will refine my technique! And, save those bio-degradable bags for camping.

Reactions: grubworm and Road

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Just pack some gloves and use the dumpster at the gas station.

They won't mind, especially if prices go up. I used to refill my water tanks at my gas station. (asked first). Then again, they knew that without that water, their phones would have gone down, 5 miles away.

• Haha
Reactions: Road and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
human waste can be a bit problematic, but that's why its a good idea to carry a mason jar full of these guys on trips. sprinkle a few around the campsite right after dark and when you wake up...they're back in the jar and the campsite is clean.

1615559054038.png

Reactions: Road and FishinCrzy

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks, ya'll, and @Road , I knew you would have the environmentally friendly answer and comprehensive details I was looking for. Going for longer and longer stays it was something that came to mind when getting gas and looking at the rather small hole on their trash can I realized there are limits to what one can do where. I was doing most of that but now I will refine my technique! And, save those bio-degradable bags for camping.
Thanks and you're welcome.

Yeah, I got a little carried away there in the middle of the night. I posted around 22:30, went outside with the dog (warm night; mid 40s), thought of something else, came back in and added more, then did that a couple times. I see my last edit time was 03:13. Many of the adventure posts I put here and other sites become draft versions of articles and blog posts I've been wanting to write anyway. Places to sort thoughts out on various topics.

I'll clean it up to be more concise when I have time.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
@Road

Thank you for all you do. Happy to see I'm not the only one hauling other people's trash out of the woods. Popular trail heads in NH were shut down due to the amount of human debris left behind. This Covid thing really messed up the hiking in Maine and NH.

Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Road's note about minimizing what you pack in the first place is where I start.

My extended trips are usually in the XJ and there isn't much room to spare (no external spare, so not external trash capacity). I try to make sure that everything we take can gracefully break down and fit into a plastic grocery bag. If something is likely to be messy then rinse it out so it doesn't make a mess inside the rig. And then we will dispose of it in the trash can at the fuel station once we get there.