Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX

Looks like it could be a good competitor for the inReach and Zoleo (I have a Zoleo, wife has an inReach Mini). The hardware and service pricing is really competitive, would like to know more about the satellite provider, though, as I'm not familiar with it. How's the coverage as you venture away from the equator?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Interesting. Too bad their not for sale yet. I found a bunch of marketing ad's but the "reviews" seem to be based more on assumption. I didn't see hard fact on the satellite system though, only who the operators will be,
The projected release date is sometime 2nd quarter. Whenever that is for the company.

Reactions: DRAX

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Interesting. Too bad their not for sale yet. I found a bunch of marketing ad's but the "reviews" seem to be based more on assumption. I didn't see hard fact on the satellite system though, only who the operators will be,
The projected release date is sometime 2nd quarter. Whenever that is for the company.
Did some digging but didn't get into the finer details of the tech, but it seems like MediaTek's new chips are able to connect to a number of satellite services as long as they support 3GPP NTN standards (I may be mucking up the terms), so it's not a singular satellite operator but multiple.

From Bullitt unveils satellite-enabled Android smartphones

The service is facilitated by Silicon Valley startup Skylo and its partnerships with GEO operators, including Inmarsat, to use their satellites for a separate business specializing in connecting remote Internet of Things (IoT) devices.

Tim Shepherd, Bullitt’s senior director for applications and product marketing, said these satellite services will be available for its customers in Europe and North America by the end of March.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
but it seems like MediaTek's new chips are able to connect to a number of satellite services as long as they support 3GPP NTN standards
Only able to connect with a certain system, is something that's plagued the satphone industry for years.. You buy phone X and it only works with X satellites. One day your system stopped working and now you need to start over.
I have been holding off getting a sat based "SOS" phone. I knew once the technology took off, the systems would evolve.
All we can do is hope and see when their released.

WesternDirtRoads

Rank VI

Influencer I

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Zacharoff
Member #

Service Branch
Army Sergeant

Looks like it could be a good competitor for the inReach and Zoleo (I have a Zoleo, wife has an inReach Mini). The hardware and service pricing is really competitive, would like to know more about the satellite provider, though, as I'm not familiar with it. How's the coverage as you venture away from the equator?
Not sure