5x10 Cargo Trailer Conversion

• HTML tutorial

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Well we are beginning our build on a 5x10 cargo trailer. We had been shopping on Craigslist and other spots trying to find a 6x10 trailer when we found this one. While it is a 5x10 because of the price and the fact that someone had already done some of the things we were going to do it was impossible to pass up. I will let this thread be my build out thread as I go through getting it to where we want it. I am keeping all the capability in my Suburban and trying to make as many things as possible to cross over so that I have both capabilities with as little adjustment as I can. So here is a video of my starting place. Enjoy.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Congrats,,,

I think Cargo Trailers are the best buy for building an overland trailer. Fully proven, weathertight, light wieght, you cannot build for less $$$.

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I agree.!
Yesterday's progress is that I have electricity in, a couple of USB ports, light, wired to the fridge and got heat in. I have a propex heater in a craftsman tool box that I uIMG_1449.jpgse for heat.
Slowly but surely.

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

Reactions: CaptainBuilt

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Roughed in the front shelves. More goodies on the way like a Maxfan and got my sliders for the fridge slide. Going to focus on the sleeping area first and then move back to the galley. Primer is going on the walls and floor today. Hopefully color on the walls (two side walls) before the week is up. Next stop will be flooring and max fan then the ceiling in the sleeping are can get done. Step by step!

IMG_1458.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
very nice!

the wife and i are getting ready to build out a 7x14 cargo trailer.
i bought a small camp trailer from forest river in 2019 and had leaks as soon as i got it home. after much hassle, they took it back to the factory for warranty repairs and it came back worse. brother-in-law bought an R-pod last year and already had to rebuild the front because of water leaks and damage. taking both factory made rvs apart and seeing how crappy they are made (mine is all staples for the interior and they pulling apart) i definitely think i can get a much better product by purchasing a good brand cargo trailer and building it out.

@Widgeonmangh , i really appreciate your vids. informative and inspirational. i'm a retired contracor/builder, so yeah, i have the skill and tools...but motivation is the hard part. watching your building vids has given me a few ideas and motivation to get started. thanks

do you have any updates?

Reactions: Widgeonmangh

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Thanks! Yeah it is all done and I have been using it! Grand total spent one month in it so far (various trips) and getting ready to spend 10 days in the elk woods!

Good luck on your build. The nice thing about it from a build perspective is that it is a small space. So when you make progress you really make progress. I worked my butt off on days off and weekends so that I could get it done for this summer. After using it (longest was a 2 week vacation by a lake) I love it and would absolutely recommend it!

In the video I talk about the challenges with the solar. It was actually with configuring the battery monitor. One of my solar panels I attached with wing nuts so that I can take it off and attach it to an extension cord. Then when I camp in a location where shade is an issue I can chase the sun. We spent 2 weeks camping in the shade and I was able to keep the battery in-between 70 - 90 % the whole time. Just took a while to figure out the battery monitor so that I could relax about how much power we were using. The max fan at night is amazing and oh so quiet. The insulation on the walls makes it quiet in the sleeping area as well. We were dispersed camping on a lake in Gifford Pinchot National forest in a camping area where there are about 10 spaces. A hispanic family reunion occurred while we were there and lets just say they enjoy the forest a little different than we do. :) They were great people with lots of little kidos running around playing into the night, (even invited us to dinner one night) but we were able to go to bed and not even hear them! It was awesome.

Not many things I would do differently.

Here is the final project done and in use.

Last edited:
  • Love

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks! Yeah it is all done and I have been using it! Grand total spent one month in it so far (various trips) and getting ready to spend 10 days in the elk woods!

Good luck on your build. The nice thing about it from a build perspective is that it is a small space. So when you make progress you really make progress. I worked my butt off on days off and weekends so that I could get it done for this summer. After using it (longest was a 2 week vacation by a lake) I love it and would absolutely recommend it!

In the video I talk about the challenges with the solar. It was actually with configuring the battery monitor. One of my solar panels I attached with wing nuts so that I can take it off and attach it to an extension cord. Then when I camp in a location where shade is an issue I can chase the sun. We spent 2 weeks camping in the shade and I was able to keep the battery in-between 70 - 90 % the whole time. Just took a while to figure out the battery monitor so that I could relax about how much power we were using. The max fan at night is amazing and oh so quiet. The insulation on the walls makes it quiet in the sleeping area as well. We were dispersed camping on a lake in Gifford Pinchot National forest in a camping area where there are about 10 spaces. A hispanic family reunion occurred while we were there and lets just say they enjoy the forest a little different than we do. :) They were great people with lots of little kidos running around playing into the night, (even invited us to dinner one night) but we were able to go to bed and not even hear them! It was awesome.

Not many things I would do differently.

Here is the final project done and in use.

great job!
i started my build a couple weeks ago doing a cargo conversion (currently the thread right under you) and definitely getting some inspiration and ideas from you.
love it!

Reactions: Widgeonmangh

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Thanks! Great to hear. I will check out your build. You will love it when you get it done. Here is the thing I like , it is totally customized to what you want. If you don't like it there is only one person to blame. lol

I have a few tweaks that I will do in the future. Adding a place for the spare tire and propane tanks in the front, but other than that I am done.

Enjoy the build!

Clarkk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Clark
I have completed a project like that on a 6x 12 cargo trailer. The details of converting my cargo trailer begin with removing the plywood walls. Install the electrical and water systems. I choose solar panels that provide an eco-friendly approach.

Last edited: