5lb. propane tank - get or skip the one with built in gauge?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I want a 5 lb. propane tank and shopping for the Flame King one. They have a 5 lb.'er that comes with a built in gauge and one without. The one with the gauge is only 5 bucks more. I heard the gauges aren't accurate although don't mind forking over the extra 5 bucks so I can glance at it and see when it might be getting low. Thoughts?

Reactions: KD7WCD

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i just use a hose with a gauge. i rather keep the tank simple and if there is a problem with the gauge, its easier to deal with it being on the hose rather than the tank
besides, my tank usually gets a little roughed up during travel and a gauge would get cracked, etc

1726442171530.png

Reactions: Alex-DK and KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
By the nature of working with compressed gasses the gage dousent really tell you much. It is not like the fuel gage in s vehicles. It will pretty much tell you that you are running out when you are just about out.

Non the less there is nothing bad about having on.

You can judge your fuel level in the tank while you are using it by feeling the side. There will be a buffenent line where it is colder. On a cold morning you will even see a frost line where the fuel level is at.

Weighing is also a pretty good way to judge how much fuel is left in it. When it is empty note the weight. Then fill it and see what it weighs. Then again after a normal use or weekend trip. After a while you'll get a feel for where it is at buy just picking it up.

The little 5Lds bottles are great. Post some pictures of them in use and maybe your transportation solutions.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
What has your experience been with your gauge? Feel it is accurate enough?
By the nature of working with compressed gasses the gage dousent really tell you much. It is not like the fuel gage in s vehicles. It will pretty much tell you that you are running out when you are just about out.
@KD7WCD is spot on here...i really dont use the gage either, but its there to glance at ever so often and get a rough idea of how much fuel is left. i run it till it stops and then plug in the next bottle. im running the bottle until its empty no matter what the gage says. i run the larger tanks at home for my flattop grill and i dont have a gage on it...seems most gages usually get condensate in them and get cracked and damaged over time and arent that accurate even when new