4x5 Utility Trailers

• HTML tutorial

fugi

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
What are your thoughts on 4x5 utility trailers? Lowes has one with a 20" tall gate all the way around. It's cheap at around $500. This is going to be used mostly for getting to and from local campgrounds and fishing holes. I thought about picking one up and putting bigger tires on for more clearance. Again, thoughts?

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I did an axle over, put 13" tires and rims, front wheel jack, 2 rear leveler jacks, and bearing buddies. It's been on 2 road trips so far...about 1800 miles total. It tows like a dream (75mph highway easy) and with my FJ, I don't really see any loss in gas mileage. I can load a cooler, 3 Rubbermaid Action Packers, camp chairs, and a 20lb. propane bottle. Best part is I only have about $750 total in the thing. I do plan to order a new longer front tongue about 1 1/2 to 2' longer, just to make it easier to back up and tow in rough stuff.

Overall, so far I'm well pleased.FJ & RTT at Mardi Krawl.jpg

Reactions: Tallen79

fugi

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
That's a perfect setup and I like it. Looks like a small project is in the works. Is that the Lowe's trailer? If not, make and model? Thanks!

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
It is the Lowes trailer. Be aware they put them on sale about every 2 to 3 months...saves about $50.