4R Suspensions?

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

TheAdventureIndex, did you go with oem sized KO2's on your oem wheels on stock suspension before going with the Icon stage twos or did you go with different sized wheels and bigger tires? I did the latter (17x8 Pro Comp Series 51 and K02 265/70/17) and the fronts were rubbing like crazy. I thought I could get away with going up 1.09" in overall diameter with the 17"/KO2 combo over the stock 18" with 265/60/18 wheels & tires. I thought wrong. Hehehe

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=265-60r18-265-70r17
Feel free to take a look at my build thread for the exact specs. But I out the tires on new wheels along with the lift.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: hellachris

Four Leaf Overlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Looking for some advise on suspensions. I have a 5th gen with a Gobi rack and will be adding a C4 slim line bumper and winch, RCI skid plates, and Sliders. I've been looking at Toytec Boss Performance Suspension, OME BP-51, and of course ICON but unsure which stage. Looking to make a good choice out of the gate but not buy something I don't need.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Looking for some advise on suspensions. I have a 5th gen with a Gobi rack and will be adding a C4 slim line bumper and winch, RCI skid plates, and Sliders. I've been looking at Toytec Boss Performance Suspension, OME BP-51, and of course ICON but unsure which stage. Looking to make a good choice out of the gate but not buy something I don't need.
Would love to see some picks of your build... these are some of the exact mods I’m considering.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I see a lot of recommendations for 4-figure lift kits, and am curious about the general dislike of spacer lifts.

Granted, it already came with 5100s or I wouldnt have gone that route, but my wife has ~30k miles with the 2" F/R spacers on her 2016 TRDP, and loves it. She used to regularly mild offroading by herself, even, before we moved and had a kid.

However, I hate "leveling" lifts--it is basically like permanently committing to never using your vehicle for actually carrying anything it was built to carry.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I've been running an Old Man Emu setup for over 2 years now and have been very happy with it. It's very basic and does the job. I went with heavy coils up front (steel bumper/winch) and mediums for the rear. It carries weight, absorbs the bumps and there's no adjusting or rebuilding.

I put in the Camburg UCA's (ball-joints) about a year ago and they've held up well. That being said, I'm getting a terrible squeak from them in these cold temperatures. Been communicating with Camburg this morning, trying to resolve the issue. It could be the Amsoil grease I'm using. Not knocking the Camburg's at all, at least yet lol.
I run the Old Man Emu suspension also. I liked having all the spring options as I add weight to the rig build. Its been more than sufficient so far. I did the differential drop and SPC upper control arms as well. It actually handles much better than when it was stock. I still have original trail wheels but I run a 285/70 BFG K02 tire. Its a good combination.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova