3rd/4th Gen 4runner or Xterra? Which would you get and why?

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,

After my last trip to Bishop, and overlanding in my 1" lifted Impreza, I really enjoy it, but there were many obstacles that I just had to turn around just due to ground clearance. Even with a spotter, going over those obstacles would just be too risky to be going over. Drivetrain wise, I was perfectly fine as the Subaru AWD worked wonders.

That said, after doing some research, i've been stuck between the 3rd gen and 4th gen 4runner, as well as the Nissan Xterra. With that said, I'm wondering, if you had a $10~15k budget, which rig would you get and why? Or are there other rigs you would suggest?

Also some side questions..
Which rig is more reliable? capable stock? Mod friendly?

In any case, here's a shot of my impreza :)

Thanks!

Reactions: MBroenkow

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I recommend you get a 4runner. Yes I'm bias (own both 3rd and 4th gen) but having worked on both for years I still say 4runner.

The 3rd gen is a great option for the size and what you get stock. This is our current offroad vehicle.

With this option:
-97-99 models you can find both auto and manual 3.4L (damn reliable) motor with a factory rear e-locker

- 00-02 models didn't have a rear locker option but had a 'center diff lock'. Basically it allowed you to have a setting like all-wheel-drive. It's ok but I'd look for a 98-99. Which brings me to my next point.
- 97-99(00) the transfer case is shifted manually. This is more desirable that the 00-02 push button/manual that gave you 2wd-awd-4hi-4lo that uses motors. Most people rarely or never use 4wd so the motors may get sticky. Find a manual shift t-case.

- reliable motor, good manual transmission, good auto transmission but I would add an external cooler if it doesn't already from factory.

- Rear axle is toyota 8", strong with no needed mods. Lots of them had a factory rear e-locker. If it doesn't you can swap a axle in later or go ARB, Yukon, etc. Front diff is good, aftermarket lockers available. be aware of cv angles when doing a lift, no more that 2.5-3" up front.
Gearing is mostly 4.10s but You can hunt around and may find one with 4.30s

- Mod friendly yes. You will have a few more options on the 4th gen but the 3rd gen still allows for many aftermarket options on lifts (fox, king, Icon, ome, toytec...long travel, mid travel, how big is you budget? Etc), full belly skids, bumpers, lockers, optional factory supercharger + add-ons, armor, you get the idea.

Armor parts are available but take a few weeks to build, it's not a jeep so be prepared to wait for some things to be built to order.

Overall good vehicle daily and weekend wheeler. The 3.4 is easy to work on and maintain.

The 4th gen 4runner (my wife's V8) is also a great option. You have the option of a 4.0 V6 or the 4.7l V8.

- 4.0 is a good V6, good power and there is lots of motors out there. Find one with GOOD maintenance record and should give you plenty of life. Factory TRD supercharger is available.

4.7L V8 is a beast, love this motor. very simple and easy to work on. Maintenance is low and wallet friendly.

- it is a bigger vehicle with more interior options.

- suspension very similar to 3rd gen, reliable, and lots of aftermarket options from mild to long travel setups.

- For this model I recommend looking for the V8 but will have to settle for AWD-4lo with center diff lock.
V6 models do have a 2wd-4hi-4lo via dial selector on the dash.
- they all have a electronic shifted transfer case. If you are looking into buying one shift it a few times between settings to make sure is not sticky or stuck. Like I said the average owner (in CA) will never or once a year snow trip shift into 4wd.

- a few more overall options on the aftermarket world than the 3rd gen.

In conclusion either with toyota or Nissan, each model has their quirks and common failure points I suggest checking the forums for both and see what you may encounter.
Either vehicle you decide with have it checked properly by a shop before purchase, this can save you a big headache later on.

@cam_toyota_tech

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I was in the same boat about 12 year's ago. I wanted a 3rd gen 4Runner but couldn't find any I liked. I did find a 2003 4th gen in black, but I didn't want black. I went ahead and test drove it and loved it. I got a great deal on it and the dealer gave me a great price on my trade in.

Check out toyota-4runner.org for great information on 4Runners. If you do go with a 4th gen 4Runner V6. Try to avoid the 04, 05 models. Those years tend to have head gasket issues.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Hell of a post from @ToyotaPro Concord (do you still wrench on Toyotas currently? :) ). I'd use that as the basis for your decision he knows his stuff that's for damn sure!

Another aspect to consider since you are coming from a newer model Impreza is that you'd probably appreciate the creature comforts in the 4th gen. I'm a fan of both (especially the 4.7L V8 4th!). Seeing how you are in CA as well, I see about 3x as many 3rd gens on the road vs 4th gens so your search may take some time. I'm sure they are out there but it's a testament to how much people love theirs since you'll rarely see the desired combo for sale all that often.

Take your time and make sure it has everything you want, you will be happy with both scenarios they are both GREAT options!

Influencer II

If I was limited by budget, I would look at both and pick the vehicle that was the best deal.
Yea, I've been looking at these 3 and have been able to see some in person on CL and dealers. They are nice, so I was wondering what the appeal was to these rigs are in the overland world. It's been a hard pick especially since I like all of them equally (some parts better than others). The only thing is...

1. I love the 4runners look better than the xterra
2. Xterra is too "blunt" for me. I get it's an extremely rugged car but it's a bit too blunt for me.
3. 4runners are a bit more on cost, which is why i'm second guessing.

Influencer II

I recommend you get a 4runner. Yes I'm bias (own both 3rd and 4th gen) but having worked on both for years I still say 4runner.

The 3rd gen is a great option for the size and what you get stock. This is our current offroad vehicle.

With this option:
-97-99 models you can find both auto and manual 3.4L (damn reliable) motor with a factory rear e-locker

- 00-02 models didn't have a rear locker option but had a 'center diff lock'. Basically it allowed you to have a setting like all-wheel-drive. It's ok but I'd look for a 98-99. Which brings me to my next point.
- 97-99(00) the transfer case is shifted manually. This is more desirable that the 00-02 push button/manual that gave you 2wd-awd-4hi-4lo that uses motors. Most people rarely or never use 4wd so the motors may get sticky. Find a manual shift t-case.

- reliable motor, good manual transmission, good auto transmission but I would add an external cooler if it doesn't already from factory.

- Rear axle is toyota 8", strong with no needed mods. Lots of them had a factory rear e-locker. If it doesn't you can swap a axle in later or go ARB, Yukon, etc. Front diff is good, aftermarket lockers available. be aware of cv angles when doing a lift, no more that 2.5-3" up front.
Gearing is mostly 4.10s but You can hunt around and may find one with 4.30s

- Mod friendly yes. You will have a few more options on the 4th gen but the 3rd gen still allows for many aftermarket options on lifts (fox, king, Icon, ome, toytec...long travel, mid travel, how big is you budget? Etc), full belly skids, bumpers, lockers, optional factory supercharger + add-ons, armor, you get the idea.

Armor parts are available but take a few weeks to build, it's not a jeep so be prepared to wait for some things to be built to order.

Overall good vehicle daily and weekend wheeler. The 3.4 is easy to work on and maintain.

The 4th gen 4runner (my wife's V8) is also a great option. You have the option of a 4.0 V6 or the 4.7l V8.

- 4.0 is a good V6, good power and there is lots of motors out there. Find one with GOOD maintenance record and should give you plenty of life. Factory TRD supercharger is available.

4.7L V8 is a beast, love this motor. very simple and easy to work on. Maintenance is low and wallet friendly.

- it is a bigger vehicle with more interior options.

- suspension very similar to 3rd gen, reliable, and lots of aftermarket options from mild to long travel setups.

- For this model I recommend looking for the V8 but will have to settle for AWD-4lo with center diff lock.
V6 models do have a 2wd-4hi-4lo via dial selector on the dash.
- they all have a electronic shifted transfer case. If you are looking into buying one shift it a few times between settings to make sure is not sticky or stuck. Like I said the average owner (in CA) will never or once a year snow trip shift into 4wd.

- a few more overall options on the aftermarket world than the 3rd gen.

In conclusion either with toyota or Nissan, each model has their quirks and common failure points I suggest checking the forums for both and see what you may encounter.
Either vehicle you decide with have it checked properly by a shop before purchase, this can save you a big headache later on.

@cam_toyota_tech
Very good information here! thank you very much!

I honestly don't plan to mod it for awhile, or mod it very slowly over time(whether it be I find parts on CL for cheap, or have the need to buy a part). So there really isn't any set budget which is why i'm curious as to how capable the rig is stock.

Just a few questions.
1. You mention that the shifter solenoid can get stuck, can this get replaced easily? Or is it the internals of the tranny making it impossible to do at home + a lot of tools?
2. How would buying a 3.4L 97-99 model be? The thing that makes me second guess it, is just the high miles.
3. As for the 4.0 v6, why do you say that I should find one with a good maintenance record? I would believe I should find any car with a good record, but it seems like I should pay attention more with the 4.0 v6.

Thanks!

Influencer II

I was in the same boat about 12 year's ago. I wanted a 3rd gen 4Runner but couldn't find any I liked. I did find a 2003 4th gen in black, but I didn't want black. I went ahead and test drove it and loved it. I got a great deal on it and the dealer gave me a great price on my trade in.

Check out toyota-4runner.org for great information on 4Runners. If you do go with a 4th gen 4Runner V6. Try to avoid the 04, 05 models. Those years tend to have head gasket issues.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app
Hmm good to know. I'm exactly where you're at. I test drove a few 4runners/saw them in person, but I read about the headgasket issue which made me second guess the 03~05 4runners.... The 06+ option is what i've been looking for but it seems nearly impossible as I've been sitting on CL everyday and they seem to get sold within the hour or so....

But i've been wondering...
How badly are the 03-05 models affected by the HG issue?
I've never done a HG, but i've done a timing belt/water pump on a miata. Could I replace the HG at home easily?

Influencer II

Hell of a post from @ToyotaPro Concord (do you still wrench on Toyotas currently? :) ). I'd use that as the basis for your decision he knows his stuff that's for damn sure!

Another aspect to consider since you are coming from a newer model Impreza is that you'd probably appreciate the creature comforts in the 4th gen. I'm a fan of both (especially the 4.7L V8 4th!). Seeing how you are in CA as well, I see about 3x as many 3rd gens on the road vs 4th gens so your search may take some time. I'm sure they are out there but it's a testament to how much people love theirs since you'll rarely see the desired combo for sale all that often.

Take your time and make sure it has everything you want, you will be happy with both scenarios they are both GREAT options!
Yea, I've been leaning towards the 4th gen more because of it's features.

BTW I've been wanting to ask, are the 4th gen 4runners not popular/limited production? As you say, I see about 3x more 3rd gens than 4rth gens on the road....

Thanks, I really hope to find the one I like soon!

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

I think it had to do with gas prices at the time the 4th gen 4Runner was produced if I had to wager a guess. Simply more people were looking for more economical transportation, and as a result it wasn't overly popular during it's production time. Recently the boom of 5th gen sales would point to that, as gas prices have stabilized over the last few years and the sales numbers have responded accordingly.

I go on CarGurus to browse pretty frequently and it's been pretty barren for quite some time in regards to the V8 4th gens. People who have them love them, and keep them it looks like!

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Very good information here! thank you very much!

I honestly don't plan to mod it for awhile, or mod it very slowly over time(whether it be I find parts on CL for cheap, or have the need to buy a part). So there really isn't any set budget which is why i'm curious as to how capable the rig is stock.

Just a few questions.
1. You mention that the shifter solenoid can get stuck, can this get replaced easily? Or is it the internals of the tranny making it impossible to do at home + a lot of tools?
2. How would buying a 3.4L 97-99 model be? The thing that makes me second guess it, is just the high miles.
3. As for the 4.0 v6, why do you say that I should find one with a good maintenance record? I would believe I should find any car with a good record, but it seems like I should pay attention more with the 4.0 v6.

Thanks!
- 98-99 are going to have some miles on them but anything in the 120k-180k is ok. These 3.4L are great and last a long time. See them with 200-350k miles on them often. Both our 4runners have 190k and 205k. Bought both with over 180k on them.

- they are more $ for a reason [emoji12]

- the motor on he transfer case is not easily replaceable, have to pull the whole thing apart. I'm all for people doing their own work at home, but this case is up there on needing tools.

- as mentioned before some 4.0l models have a head gasket issue after 180k miles. Cylinder 6 misfire due to the gasket failing. It is a PITA to do the job! It's 20-22 hrs shop labor, for the fact that it is a chain motor with a huge front cover. I've done 5-6 already and got good at it, but I'd be very cautious of doing it at home. Plan for some long down time.
That's why I love the 3.4 and 4.7, very easily maintained at home by you. Both have timing belts and can be done with a basic set of tools.

- 4.0 is a different beast. It's a good motor if maintained well. The 3.4 is much more forgiving to people that don't do regular service.
4.0 had chain timing and dual oil controlled timing actuators. Lack of oil changes or cheap oil can slowly sludge this up and they aren't cheap.

@cam_toyota_tech

Reactions: chrispartida

Influencer II

I think it had to do with gas prices at the time the 4th gen 4Runner was produced if I had to wager a guess. Simply more people were looking for more economical transportation, and as a result it wasn't overly popular during it's production time. Recently the boom of 5th gen sales would point to that, as gas prices have stabilized over the last few years and the sales numbers have responded accordingly.

I go on CarGurus to browse pretty frequently and it's been pretty barren for quite some time in regards to the V8 4th gens. People who have them love them, and keep them it looks like!
That makes sense, now thinking about it.

I've been sitting on CL and CG frequently, refreshing the pages on both every half an hour to hour. Just getting so anxious to find mine. haha

Reactions: Jaydub514

Influencer II

- 98-99 are going to have some miles on them but anything in the 120k-180k is ok. These 3.4L are great and last a long time. See them with 200-350k miles on them often. Both our 4runners have 190k and 205k. Bought both with over 180k on them.

- they are more $ for a reason [emoji12]

- the motor on he transfer case is not easily replaceable, have to pull the whole thing apart. I'm all for people doing their own work at home, but this case is up there on needing tools.

- as mentioned before some 4.0l models have a head gasket issue after 180k miles. Cylinder 6 misfire due to the gasket failing. It is a PITA to do the job! It's 20-22 hrs shop labor, for the fact that it is a chain motor with a huge front cover. I've done 5-6 already and got good at it, but I'd be very cautious of doing it at home. Plan for some long down time.
That's why I love the 3.4 and 4.7, very easily maintained at home by you. Both have timing belts and can be done with a basic set of tools.

- 4.0 is a different beast. It's a good motor if maintained well. The 3.4 is much more forgiving to people that don't do regular service.
4.0 had chain timing and dual oil controlled timing actuators. Lack of oil changes or cheap oil can slowly sludge this up and they aren't cheap.

@cam_toyota_tech
Good to know that the 3.4L's will last a good amount of miles. But would I also have to worry about bushings or drivetrain problems?

Dumb questions...
When you say "the motor on he transfer case is not easily replaceable, have to pull the whole thing apart.", are we talking about the whole transmission, or the electronic motor that controls the drive selection(2wd/4hi/4lo)? I've been hoping that if the electronic motor gets stuck(which sounds like it's common), i'd simply just replace/fix it, after looking over this DIY.

Is the HG do-able without pulling the motor from the car? I have a lot of tools, but not an engine hoist/stand. I don't mind having down time since I really do plan on just buying the 4runner, make some small repairs if needed, then get the car running by summer time when I move. Also, any instructions/diy's out there? I've been looking around, but find nothing...

On the 4.0, if the owner didn't change the oil frequently enough, or used cheap oil, and it gets sludged up, what happens? Can it easily be cleaned out?

Thanks!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
If you decide to purchase a 4Runner definitely sign up to T4R.org they have so much information about the 4Runner. I doubt that there is a question that has not been asked about 4Runners on there. Most repairs are simple to do on a Toyota, parts prices are fairly low ( coming from a previous American made Diesel truck owner). I just purchased a '98 3rd Gen and I love it. It has 201k miles on it. I did look at the Xterra as well. Aftermarket Parts galore for the Toyota, not as much for the Nissan. They are out there, just not as plentiful. Nissan's have a good engine/transmission setup and are built pretty rugged, as both have a body on frame build to them. If you do not plan on modifying much then both vehicles are great base vehicles. Fuel mileage is pretty much the same on both - average 17 highway / 14 city.

Influencer II

If you decide to purchase a 4Runner definitely sign up to T4R.org they have so much information about the 4Runner. I doubt that there is a question that has not been asked about 4Runners on there. Most repairs are simple to do on a Toyota, parts prices are fairly low ( coming from a previous American made Diesel truck owner). I just purchased a '98 3rd Gen and I love it. It has 201k miles on it. I did look at the Xterra as well. Aftermarket Parts galore for the Toyota, not as much for the Nissan. They are out there, just not as plentiful. Nissan's have a good engine/transmission setup and are built pretty rugged, as both have a body on frame build to them. If you do not plan on modifying much then both vehicles are great base vehicles. Fuel mileage is pretty much the same on both - average 17 highway / 14 city.
I'll definitely be signing up on t4r.org. I've been browsing over there quite a lot lately for information while i'm looking for my 4runner. :)

I've read both good and bad things about the Xterra which is making me rethink it, and make me lean towards the 4runner more, but I hear you. Stock for stock, light modding, they are right about the same.

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

I wanted to say this.. But I don't wanna be all fanboy without a good reason xD. And as we don't get 4runenrs or xterra's here in Europe I just keep my mouth shut :P
Hahah. All I am saying is they have a good reputation for being reliable for a reason. I'm not gonna knock anyone for driving something other than Toyota but that's what I drive and have for years. Always served me well.

OB 3319

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Toyotas are excellent off road vehicles and are definitely built to last a lifetime. I own a 3rd gen, myself. It is nice to see other vehicles out on the trails, especially oddball vehicles with a little personalized custom work done to them. Subaru, Suzuki, Kia, Diahatsu, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Mazda all make good vehicles to explore with true 4wd (high and low range transfer case) the great outdoors in and can be found rather cheap to buy.

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ

With this option:

@cam_toyota_tech
Actually, the 00 did have the rear diff lock, at least my 2000 3.4 5-speed did. I think the center diff lock was for the automatics only, but the manuals still had it. Also, 2000 was the last year of the manual in the 4Runner.