Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Earlier this month, I led a small group of folks along OTG's 180+ mile Mogollon Rim Discovery Plan. With plans to follow up our Mogollon trip with Sedona, this was the perfect warmup for a 10 day adventure through some of northern Arizona's most breathtaking landscapes.

After the Grand Canyon, the Mogollon Rim (we'll refer it to simply as the Rim) is Arizona's largest geological feature, and at 200 miles long, it's one the longest escarpments in the world! The Rim is composed primarily of limestones and sandstones that were formed from sediments that were deposted over the Carboniferous and Permian periods. The eastern end of the Rim is much less impressive, with the Rim rising 4-5,000' above sea level. The much more impressive western end rises to over 8,000', with the escarpment faces descending up several thousand feet from the lowlands below.

Folks in Phoenix and other desert dwellers often escape to the higher elevations of the Rim, which tends to be much cooler than the boiling temperatures of the desert lowlands during the warm season. The eastern end of the track sees much less maintainence than the western half of Rim Road, so expect quite a few bumps along the way, but nothing a stock Subaru can't handle. Once you hit the "main" part of Rim Road, the road is wide, and typically graded on an annual basis to create what we like to call a dirt highway. The views along the western end are by far the most impressive.

The rim is littered with hundreds of campsites, but trying to find a cliffside camp can be challenging on weekends when city dwellers flock to the rim. However, if you get creative and start exploring some of the side roads off of Rim Road, chances are you'll score something eventually.

Our third day along the track departs from the Rim, onto the alternative track extension just north of Hwy 260 and parallels the West Clear Creek Wilderness area. Unlike the dirt super highway along much of Rim Road, this portion of the track features lots and lots of rocks! Nothing really technical, but you'll spend a solid 4-5 hours in 4-low making your way through the country that begins in the pine forest, but soon gives way to the Serengeti like scrublands filled with massive ancient Juniper.

index.php.png

index.php (1).png

index.php (2).png

index.php (3).png

index.php (4).png

index.php (5).png

index.php (6).png

index.php (7).png

index.php (8).png

index.php (8).png

index.php (9).png

index.php (10).png

index.php (11).png

index.php (12).png
AP1GczNXDQmueq6CD2gmh3whx8rjWGeV.png

AP1GczMdInbAA2SjXI9QD8k0SfURT3W6.png

AP1GczM7lD9zvxF9ySnYSgIDaOjQZ2dG.png

AP1GczNdmlUF8jVjfTwUHzk1Ql5W0F3M.png

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
Awesome! I was on my way up there to do some trail maintenance with my volunteer group on Saturday when my 4Runner's cooling system decided to die

Can't wait to get up there and do some more exploring. I'm really interested in the Eastern part lately, as it's the part i've explored the least

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Awesome! I was on my way up there to do some trail maintenance with my volunteer group on Saturday when my 4Runner's cooling system decided to die

Can't wait to get up there and do some more exploring. I'm really interested in the Eastern part lately, as it's the part i've explored the least
Honestly, not a whole lot to see on the east end, at least not along Rim Road. Have you explored on the west end, beyond rim road? We did a bunch of exploring out that way and to Buckhorn Cabin. Really pretty, but man, those trails are in rough condition out that way, but a totally different vibe than you'll get along the Rim. I don't think we passed any vehicles while exploring out that way.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Honestly, not a whole lot to see on the east end, at least not along Rim Road. Have you explored on the west end, beyond rim road? We did a bunch of exploring out that way and to Buckhorn Cabin. Really pretty, but man, those trails are in rough condition out that way, but a totally different vibe than you'll get along the Rim. I don't think we passed any vehicles while exploring out that way.
Some friends and I ran part of the BDR from truth or consequences to the az border. Chloride canyon was fun, but it did get rough the further west we got.

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

I'll post a link to the Youtube video once I get it cut up-- you can see the bone jarring trails we had to deal with. A far cry from the graded dirt super highway of Rim Road!!