Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

No "action" shots but my buddy took his 2wd Ford van on our trip over the weekend. We were doing trails up around Big Sur, so nothing "gnarly" but there were ones I looked at and though "nah, he shouldn't try this." A little momentum and a little bravery and he got through it all. I did see daylight under the front tires a few times, so a slower approach probably would have been better. He's going to lift it, put better (and bigger) tires on it, and do a rear locker and I think it'll do a TON.

messages_0 (30).jpeg

-TJ

Reactions: rho and dirtnsmores

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I'm headed down there February 23rd till 26th was planning on doing River Road since it'll be solo and I won't have help for a recovery if something happens.... that is unless ya'll have suggestions or want to join.
River rd is pretty cool. Air down some and you’re good. Some of the roads marked 4wd only are laughable. You can drive a few in a Corolla. I think the only thing on Black Gap is that wall, otherwise it looks very doable

Reactions: Drunk_Dog

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Getting a true trac installed in my Tacoma prerunner next week! Can't wait
Very nice, while it isn't a full locker... I think you'll enjoy how well they work in a 2wd application. I have TT's in the front and rear of my jeep now and they're fantastic.

STORY TIME! Late last year I destroyed a front ring gear on a trail (spider gears failed, ate the ring gear after), so after pulling the front axle apart and pulling that gear, I drove out in low range and 2wd with just the rear TT (this is before i got the front TT) and it did fantastically well considering this was a very difficult rock crawling trail. I had to winch a few times, but, that was mostly to get the Jeep up and over 3'+ rocks.

Reactions: dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
Very nice, while it isn't a full locker... I think you'll enjoy how well they work in a 2wd application. I have TT's in the front and rear of my jeep now and they're fantastic.

STORY TIME! Late last year I destroyed a front ring gear on a trail (spider gears failed, ate the ring gear after), so after pulling the front axle apart and pulling that gear, I drove out in low range and 2wd with just the rear TT (this is before i got the front TT) and it did fantastically well considering this was a very difficult rock crawling trail. I had to winch a few times, but, that was mostly to get the Jeep up and over 3'+ rocks.
Wow! That's some serious trail damage. This isn't the first time I've heard people say the truetrac got them out of sticky situations when 4x4 wasn't available. Hell of a story!

I agree a full locker might have been better, but having this help in ALL situations was a huge selling point for me.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Wow! That's some serious trail damage. This isn't the first time I've heard people say the truetrac got them out of sticky situations when 4x4 wasn't available. Hell of a story!

I agree a full locker might have been better, but having this help in ALL situations was a huge selling point for me.
Yep. And you're not rockcrawling or desert racing so something like this covers just about every situation that you'll see.

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
This is my old RWD Toyota T-100 when I was just starting to really build her up for adventuring. This was taken at Fern Canyon back in 2017, before the lift, limited slip, dual batteries and NWTI bumper.
I'll dig around and see if I have anything from when she was built up.

Attachments

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I have taken 2wd's to a ton of crazy places.....rear locker, good tires aired down and driver control will work wonders.

Important note, you still want 4 traction boards even though you are 2wd, often you need to get the front wheels out of a hole/rut/sand/mud/snow and back up on the surface.

Reactions: Wildcat-01

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
I have taken 2wd's to a ton of crazy places.....rear locker, good tires aired down and driver control will work wonders.

Important note, you still want 4 traction boards even though you are 2wd, often you need to get the front wheels out of a hole/rut/sand/mud/snow and back up on the surface.
Agreed.
It's impressive what a RWD truck with a set of BFGs and a traction aid and a little extra clearance can do.