Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello!

I am sure that here are members with mobile HAM in more modern rigs :smile:

Any issues/ tips n tricks with regard to faults related to the ECU and immobilizers and all this modern stuff?

Thank you!

Safe travels,
Bjoern

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

If it is wired correctly and connected to a properly installed antenna, you should have no problems with the ECU. You are more likely to find a dead battery or a blown fuse if it’s not properly installed. As for the immobilization system, those are encrypted RFID systems so your ham radio would not trigger that.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
If it is wired correctly and connected to a properly installed antenna, you should have no problems with the ECU. You are more likely to find a dead battery or a blown fuse if it’s not properly installed. As for the immobilization system, those are encrypted RFID systems so your ham radio would not trigger that.
Thank you for this very precise answer. Very helpful! :blush:
Cheers, Bjoern

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
As the J.W. said it shouldn't be an issue if installed properly. And the key to proper install is prep and attention to detail. There is a lot more to a proper installation then a couple wires. So before you drop your first wire sit down and figure out how you want your installation to go. Figure out the mounting location(s), wire routing, power distribution and management, etc... Then put together a shopping list of everything you need from the connectors to the looms to the relays, etc... And go get everything in one shot. Then go and do your install. If you do it right you should have no problems.