Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

I have an Ironman 270 Awning that I got for a steal at an Expo a couple years ago. Once we put it on, we realized that the standard mount wasn’t high enough for us to open the rear hatch of our 4Runner completely. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it? I take the awning off for winter time and figured I could figure out a mount to try in the next month. I am guessing it is about 2” or more that would need to be cleared.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I would probably just bolt on a DIY mount with some extra height to it. All you need is a pair of metal plates with some holes. Do you have pictures? What kind of rack are you working with?

1707007766974.png

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

I would probably just bolt on a DIY mount with some extra height to it. All you need is a pair of metal plates with some holes. Do you have pictures? What kind of rack are you working with?

View attachment 273354
It’s the Ironman 270. I don’t remember which exact model.

I’m been toying with just adding a spacer between the L bracket and the crossmember but didn’t know how much the crossbars would handle with the weight moving around in the wind and off-road

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

5th Gen 4runner owner with the Ironman Deltawing XTR-143 And Victory 4x4 rack with 2” wide cross bars. Had same issue. I made spacers out of 1” square tubing that fit between the mounts and crossbars. Each spacer is made up of 2 pieces of 1” square tubing side-by-side and welded together for 1” tall by 2” wide spacer, same width as my crossbars. This was enough to lift the awning up to clear my hatch. Still presses up on the awning fabric some. Do not know if you are using OEM rack and crossbars, but if you are your strength concerns may have some validity. I know you can get stronger aftermarket crossbars that work with the OEM side rails on 5th gen’s. Maybe 4th gen’s too, not sure?
IMG_6059.jpeg

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

5th Gen 4runner owner with the Ironman Deltawing XTR-143 And Victory 4x4 rack with 2” wide cross bars. Had same issue. I made spacers out of 1” square tubing that fit between the mounts and crossbars. Each spacer is made up of 2 pieces of 1” square tubing side-by-side and welded together for 1” tall by 2” wide spacer, same width as my crossbars. This was enough to lift the awning up to clear my hatch. Still presses up on the awning fabric some. Do not know if you are using OEM rack and crossbars, but if you are your strength concerns may have some validity. I know you can get stronger aftermarket crossbars that work with the OEM side rails on 5th gen’s. Maybe 4th gen’s too, not sure?
View attachment 273417
Running a CBI/Prinsu full length. Can you send a pic of your mount without the awning open. I think I’m tracking exactly what you did but pictures always work better for me.

Do you notice anything with extra wind resistance or noise with it being that high?

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I do not have a picture of the final setup, only the picture below from mock-up. The picture shows a 1x1 spacer below the awning mount to see if that was high enough. It was and as I stated above and I welded two 1x1 pieces side by side to make a spacer equal in width to my cross bars.

I used U-bolts to secure the mounts to the crossbars as I did not trust using 1/4-20 screws in T-nuts in the slots of the crossbars due to the large leverage created by the awning. And I replaced the mounting plates that came with the U-bolts with plates made from 3/16" steel as you can see the original ones were thin and tended to bend when tightened down.

1707332381933.png

1707333065583.png

There is some noise, but I never had it mounted lower so do not know impact of mounted height on noise.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Bush Company makes some very sturdy brackets that would likely give you the height you need. I ran these with t-slot crossbars and 1/4 -20 t-slot nuts with no issues with my OVS 270 awning.

Awning Heavy Duty L Bracket
Gotcha! I have never came across this search. I will need to get the dimensions and see if this will work