whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
Sold our 4Runner to get a bigger vehicle and ended up with a 22 Armada Platinum with 22 inch wheels.
At this point in our lives the extent of our off roading will be taking gravel roads and the beach in Corolla, NC with our 2 Rottweilers.
I was trying to keep the costs down and just buy AT's for the vehicle at this point. At over 400 a piece, my only option are the Toyo AT's which I do like.
My only concern is the ability to drive on the beach with 22 inch AT's.

Thanks in advance for any input or experiences with the same setup.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: cinnamonroll

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Most of us 16" to 18" wheels so we can air down. a 22" wheel might look good but doesn't have a large foot print when aired down. Running on sand I float pretty well at 15 to 18 psi. My tires are 315, 70r 17 E rated. The rig is a Ram 2500 long bed 4 door.

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
I guess I should have clarified my opinion. I tremendously dislike 22 inch rims but for now, I am trying to save money. I will eventually switch to 18 inch rims but we are taking a trip to Colorado in 2 months and then going to the Outer Banks after that. So, we are saving funds for that. So, for now just thinking about 22 inch all terrains.

Thanks in advance.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Toyota AT3 is a good tire, you already seem to recognize th limitations of the low profile tires so I won't belabor that subject.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Expedition Master III

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
A/T on 22" wheels might be just as effective where you are headed as your current tires. If you're saving money I wouldn't buy tires at all in this case. Saving a bit and getting new wheels and tires at once might save you a good chunk.

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I have driven on the beach north of Corolla quite a few times and the vehicles that I have seen get stuck are typically all wheel drive and or those with large wheels with small sidewall tires. They probably did not air down a single bit As well. But I have also seen same type vehicles not have any problems. If you drive on the beach in the evening and when there is low tide you will be able to stay on hard sand going both north and south As the traffic rules are unofficially little more relaxed. But during the day and peak hours, or during a high tide, you will have to drive next to the dunes when going south on your return and that is all soft sand and where you can have issues. Momentum and driving in existing tire tracks will be your friend. But you may want to have some Form of recovery gear such as shovel, traction boards, or strap for someone to pull you out. You should air down no matter what but not sure how large your sidewall is. Typically 18 psi is good pressure to run.

I have never had issues with typical size wheel (17-18) and being air downed. As Ethan suggested, maybe Consider smaller wheels and new tires From the get go. $1600 just may be enough for new tires and a used set of smaller wheels.

Last edited:

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
Thank you all for the responses. Yeah, we loved driving on Corolla beach with our GX and then our 4Runner but life changes required a bigger vehicle. I have some thinking to do but appreciate all the input.