Nebraska, USA
First Name
November
Last Name
Echo21
Member #

Service Branch
USCG 47' MLB Pilot
Every time our family gets out to overland in NE, CO, WY, or SD we love every minute. I can’t wait for the next adventure.
So this may be an odd question but how does the cargo area look like loaded up? Do you put the cooler in there?
Not an odd question at all. On this trip (for better mpg over six hours to our destination) I kept it primarily empty. The logic for this is to sleep inside the Sequoia’s massive interior space. I am 6’5” and still have 6” to spare inside. Even a Land Cruiser doesn’t have that room.

So all gear was stored inside. Once at base camp (CO) we left the 4Runner and our Gazelle tent to explore Wyoming areas including Laramie.

At night all gear was placed on the Yakima rack to be off the ground and clear space for sleeping on a queen memory foam topper with sleeping bags. It worked great especially our second night in 15-20 mph winds.

Coming from the military, all gear is stored in different Pelican cases. Cooking gear has its own, tools another, lighting and batteries, IFAK, etc.. Having these up top was great for keeping gear organized and out of the way. Plus they are weatherproof and waterproof in the event we encountered rain. In the morning we just tossed them in the back to continue our adventure. I hope that helps.

We have traveled with gear in the rack but keep loads minimal for drag. I can’t put the cooler up top due to weight (60-80 lbs at times) and 7’ off the ground makes it less ideal to put up there. Plus, that weight and height shifts the center of gravity too much to my liking.

The Yakima rack has a static weight of 600 lbs vs a dynamic weight of 150 lbs. it’s great to load up in excess when at base camp; however, while moving those forces can only be 150 lbs. total. Most racks are this way.

Reactions: OverLamb24