Kaw_biker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
DDD
Back in the summer of 2020, you could still get a good deal on new vehicles. I brought this brand new F-150 XLT home that July. Got her for $43k ($10k under sticker) + 60 months same as cash. I pity folks buying today :(

Had the hood shield and window deflectors on the following week, along with a catch can under the hood.

Put about 600 miles on those lovely white-letter Michelins before swapping them out for some 33” Dick Cepeks. Also fitted with Bilsteins at 2.5” and 3” blocks in back.

8-year-old for scale.

Found a factory wheel on eBay, and had another Trail Country tire spooned on. Full size spare, plus 5-wheel rotations. Fits nicely under the bed.

Did the LineX thing.

By November 2020, I started getting ready for a solo trip out west. Still only had about 2500 miles on the truck at this point.

Wired up a dash cam.

Took off the front dam and installed PDM 1/8” aluminum skid plates.

Installed a RetraxPRO XR tonneau with Yakima rails

And a basket…

Added some Hi Lift tube mounts on the basket for the jack

Packed up at 5am the day after Christmas 2020, stopped to top off the tank before hitting the road!

Pretty basic camping setup, but it got the job done. Visited some amazing places throughout the southwest – spent 5 days at KOFA, plus Organ Pipe, White Sands, and a whole lot more. Put about 5.000 miles on the truck in 12 days, with about 400 miles off road.

I’ve only done a few weekend camping trips each year since then, but I got the bug bad this year and am planning another solo winter trip. But lessons were learned, and I’l be making some changes to the rig. I’m ditching the tonneau, rails and basket (for sale, cheap!), and installing Decked drawers, a KB Voodoo VRS rack, OVS RTT and awning.

Decked drawers went on last Saturday. The rack is here and should be able to install everything else this coming weekend.

VRS rack ready for assembly:

I have a feeling I might have to swap out for some heavy-duty leaf springs, but I’m going to see how she sits loaded down first.

I do plan on ditching the factory running boards before the trip, and while I don’t have time to get proper rock sliders beforehand, but I ordered some GoRhino pseudo-sliders that will tuck up tighter to the truck than the factory steps.

Future upgrades will likely include 35s and wheels, proper rock sliders, bumpers, lighting, and maybe a winch.

More pics to come in a few days!

RDevita

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
DeVita
Member #

Back in the summer of 2020, you could still get a good deal on new vehicles. I brought this brand new F-150 XLT home that July. Got her for $43k ($10k under sticker) + 60 months same as cash. I pity folks buying today :(

Had the hood shield and window deflectors on the following week, along with a catch can under the hood.

Put about 600 miles on those lovely white-letter Michelins before swapping them out for some 33” Dick Cepeks. Also fitted with Bilsteins at 2.5” and 3” blocks in back.

8-year-old for scale.

Found a factory wheel on eBay, and had another Trail Country tire spooned on. Full size spare, plus 5-wheel rotations. Fits nicely under the bed.

Did the LineX thing.

By November 2020, I started getting ready for a solo trip out west. Still only had about 2500 miles on the truck at this point.

Wired up a dash cam.

And a basket…

Packed up at 5am the day after Christmas 2020, stopped to top off the tank before hitting the road!

Pretty basic camping setup, but it got the job done. Visited some amazing places throughout the southwest – spent 5 days at KOFA, plus Organ Pipe, White Sands, and a whole lot more. Put about 5.000 miles on the truck in 12 days, with about 400 miles off road.

I’ve only done a few weekend camping trips each year since then, but I got the bug bad this year and am planning another solo winter trip. But lessons were learned, and I’l be making some changes to the rig. I’m ditching the tonneau, rails and basket (for sale, cheap!), and installing Decked drawers, a KB Voodoo VRS rack, OVS RTT and awning.

Decked drawers went on last Saturday. The rack is here and should be able to install everything else this coming weekend.

I have a feeling I might have to swap out for some heavy-duty leaf springs, but I’m going to see how she sits loaded down first.

I do plan on ditching the factory running boards before the trip, and while I don’t have time to get proper rock sliders beforehand, but I ordered some GoRhino pseudo-sliders that will tuck up tighter to the truck than the factory steps.

Future upgrades will likely include 35s and wheels, proper rock sliders, bumpers, lighting, and maybe a winch.

Wow! Great build and what a first run. I drive a 2012 f150, love it. Enjoy your upcoming trip, can’t wait to read about it

Reactions: Kaw_biker

Contributor III

Buford, GA, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Cleaveland
Chiming in on this, I have a 2020 F150 XLT. I don't have a 4wd, just 2wd with a trutrack diff put in, not a true locker but does very surprisingly well! For the trips out west, how often did you need 4wd? or was it more basic driving? I really want to make a trip out there, but I am definitely hesitant. Wife and I don't do any hard wheeling, more scenic exploring and camping.

Kaw_biker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
DDD
Chiming in on this, I have a 2020 F150 XLT. I don't have a 4wd, just 2wd with a trutrack diff put in, not a true locker but does very surprisingly well! For the trips out west, how often did you need 4wd? or was it more basic driving? I really want to make a trip out there, but I am definitely hesitant. Wife and I don't do any hard wheeling, more scenic exploring and camping.
There are all kinds of wonderful places you can visit in New Mexico and Arizona with a 2wd truck. And many places, like KofA, have their trails well-labeled – there are several trails there that require a lift and 4wd, but many that don't. You can still have a great time across 90% of the southwest in a Subaru.

Kaw_biker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
DDD
Installed the VRX rack this weekend. Was also going to add the RTT, but the rack is about 1/4" shy of clearing the cab. Will order some 3" riser mounts tomorrow and try again when they get here.

Still unpacked the tent to check it out.

Reactions: Blu12T

AdamSmith

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Smith

8-year-old for scale.

Did the LineX thing.

Wired up a dash cam.

And a basket…

Your 2020 F-150 journey is impressive! The solo trip out west, modifications, and plans showcase a true adventure spirit. The Decked drawers, VRS rack, and upcoming changes sound exciting. Keep sharing your rig's evolution; it's inspiring for fellow enthusiasts! I love it. Thanks for sharing your truck pictures with us. I was actually searching for the reviews online for Trust My Paper because I am not so good at writing an essay assignment and while searching for it online, I found link to your post and can't stop myself by replying you here.
Nice one, I really love it. I like your choice :)

Kaw_biker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
DDD
Coming together.

I wasn't particularly confident in the rigidity and general structural soundness of the VRS rack as it was, so I ordered extra panels and top rails to help stiffen it up. Frankly, rack is like a freaking erector set. I'm still not supremely confident in the six brackets holding it all to the aluminum bed, but I'm heading out Tuesday, so at this point it just is what it is.

Starting to get things mounted up on the rack

Replaced the factory running boards with some GoRhino "sliders" – they're not really sliders, but they are much more heavy duty than the factory running boards, and they're snugged up nicely to the body and don't hang down like the factory ones. They're there to help prevent damage to the rocker panel and give me more clearance than the factory running boards.

Got a few buddies over yesterday to help get the tent up there.

With the drawers loaded up, the weight of the rack and the 200lb+ tent, the truck was not, um, handling its best. Considering I'll have at least 500lbs in the bed constantly, I had some Super Springs put on to help with the increased payload. They work marvelously.

It's raining today, but I needed to get the tent set up, aired out, and tried out!. Going to sleep in it tonight and see how it goes. Shouldn't get any colder than 48F here tonight, so it should be fine temperature-wise. I'm more curious about how the memory foam "mattress" is going to feel. We'll see.

GroovinMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Smith
That's a totally cool rack and tent setup! My brother would like that setup! He recently traded his Cherokee to a nice F150. It's in the shop for the mounting of BFG's, tis wheels, and new rotors. I'm getting a tent for the JK next year. We'll hit the trails soon.

Reactions: Kaw_biker

Kaw_biker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
DDD
Back home now, after 4600 miles. Hit 5 national parks and two national forests throughout the southwest, plus a bunch of other stops. No real off-roading this time ‘round, but plenty of roads and conditions that required 4wd and clearance.

The Decked drawers were awesome. I had them packed full of all kinds of heavy gear, and they functioned flawlessly.

The Decked Cargoglide had some issues after it was loaded down with about 300lbs, mainly due to what I believe is a design oversight for the F150. The truck has a 3/4” protrusion on the bed bulkhead that doesn’t give the cargoglide enough space - when fully closed, the back of the drawer is pressed tightly against the bed, and it’s not supposed to be. If that protrusion in the bed wasn’t there, it wouldn’t be an issue. Being that tight made it extremely difficult to get the cargoglide out from its closed position. On day 2 of the trip, I stopped by a Home Depot for a rat tail file, and filed out the last stop position hole in the cargoglide frame about 1/4” so the locking mechanism could engage sooner. Then touched up the file point with a paint pen. It did the trick.

The VRS rack seems to have functioned ok. I had to go through and tighten up all the nuts every few days. I’m still not confident this can be a good off-road solution without some fortification, which I will be looking at doing very soon.

The OVS Sidewinder tent was pretty awesome. It’s my first RTT, so I don’t have too much to compare it to, other than a variety of ground tents. The mattress is great, and I have no desire to upgrade it. It’s pretty easy to get set up and taken down - after doing it a few times, I’d say I can set it up in 2 minutes and take down in 4. The long hooks for the rain fly secure to 2 aluminum braces in the tent frame t-slots. These aluminum braces deformed quickly, and would be better if made from steel. The tent’s inner frame is easy to swing out and extend - a very smart design - but the extensions are secured by plastic quick-release clamps, and one of those broke before I left, so I kept a pair of vise grips in the tent to secure the frame once extended. I could have avoided this by properly adjusting the QR clamp before strongarming it, though. That’s on me.

All in all, I’m pretty well satisfied with how everything turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu12T