alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
That would be fantastic! I'm expecting to depart in about a month or so. I had heard that the ferry route is very scenic but doing that with a dog might not be recommended since you might not be allow to visit your dog often.
It really depends on your dog. I think they allow pretty ample time, although it’s obviously not ideal for a dog.

I have a large German Shepherd that is very skiddish even though he’s around other dogs all the time, and he’s done fine on the ferry. You get about 15 minutes to take them out of the car and walk them on the car deck, from what I remember around 5-6 times a day. They do it in certain hour intervals so sometimes it’s at 3 am which you may not like.

The ferry is very pretty and enjoyable of a ride. Tons of people do it with dogs, so I wouldn’t let that deter you.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
How much more does an aluminum bumper weigh over the stock one?
One thing that's always steered me away from aftermarket bumpers is that very, very few are engineered to respond in a crash the way the Toyota original equipment is engineered. As far as I know, only ARB even tries and I don't really like the aesthetics of the ARB bumpers. If I'm only offroading the vehicle, that's not so much a concern. But if it's also my daily driver, do I really want to change the engineering of the vehicle so that it's no longer responding the way it's supposed to in an accident?

When I damage my bumper, I'll replace it with an OEM one.

Reactions: alexdnick

Beeftaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rancho Mission Viejo, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
T
Member #

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Hey Dobie, you know I was just joking about the "bigger truck" thing...

I hope to make that trip to Alaska myself in a few years. Have wanted to do it for decades. Me and the wife watched a documentary about building the Alaska Highway 25 years ago and decided to do it. Then we let child and careers get in the way. But it's still on the back burner. Looking forward to reading about your trip with lots of pictures.

We'll take a dog as well !

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hey Dobie, you know I was just joking about the "bigger truck" thing...

I hope to make that trip to Alaska myself in a few years. Have wanted to do it for decades. Me and the wife watched a documentary about building the Alaska Highway 25 years ago and decided to do it. Then we let child and careers get in the way. But it's still on the back burner. Looking forward to reading about your trip with lots of pictures.

We'll take a dog as well !
A bigger truck is an option though. An F250 easily gives more payload capacity. Then again, so does the new Ford Ranger (1600 lbs). But I’ve been a Toyota guy for 19 years and it’s hard for me to consider jumping ship.

Anyhow, still figuring out my Alaska plans but will definitely post as the adventure gets underway.

Reactions: alexdnick

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
A bigger truck is an option though. An F250 easily gives more payload capacity. Then again, so does the new Ford Ranger (1600 lbs). But I’ve been a Toyota guy for 19 years and it’s hard for me to consider jumping ship.

Anyhow, still figuring out my Alaska plans but will definitely post as the adventure gets underway.
I loved my Tundra when I had it.

The nice thing is, at least in my area, you can sell that shiny new 2019 Tacoma and get at least what you bought it for.