Rank IV

Traveler III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Edelman
Member #

How did the ladder install go? I saw one video where it looks a little tricky to get the lower mount attached to the bottom of the lift gate.

I have a silver 2018 Trailhawk, still stock.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

How did the ladder install go? I saw one video where it looks a little tricky to get the lower mount attached to the bottom of the lift gate.

I have a silver 2018 Trailhawk, still stock.
The install was very simple but the hatch changed in 2019 and my ladder is different from the one you would need. I know the mounting point to the bottom is different but I don't know if it's easier or more difficult. Sorry I'm not more help to you.

Joel_E

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Edelman
Member #

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize that they changed the hatch configuration and the ladder attachment is different.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I wanted to be able to use multiple radios in the truck so I decided to wire up everything with PowerPole connectors under the passenger seat. This way, I can add or remove radios fairly easily in the future. Today’s project was to get the power routed. The Jeep has a handy grommet through the firewall for runnnig accessory wires but getting everything fished through the engine compartment was still a pain. I got everything buttoned up just before it started to snow so it was a pretty productive day. All that’s visible now is the Powerwere connector under the passenger seat.

I’ve got a new antenna mount for the rack on the way and should have coax for the antenna run by the time it gets here.

E70AB202-3A55-41A2-9806-848DDF602536.jpeg

Zip tie EVERYTHING
4F847614-565A-4CAD-B49E-927099EE64A1.jpeg

937E1623-F9DC-44DD-9033-3222164C9A90.jpeg

6A8AD11E-FE12-4C7F-9793-50565A903742.jpeg

0139A984-3ECE-42C7-9F74-2B8870B80905.jpeg

Joel_E

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Edelman
Member #

I wanted to be able to use multiple radios in the truck so I decided to wire up everything with PowerPole connectors under the passenger seat. This way, I can add or remove radios fairly easily in the future. Today’s project was to get the power routed. The Jeep has a handy grommet through the firewall for runnnig accessory wires but getting everything fished through the engine compartment was still a pain. I got everything buttoned up just before it started to snow so it was a pretty productive day. All that’s visible now is the Powerwere connector under the passenger seat.

I’ve got a new antenna mount for the rack on the way and should have coax for the antenna run by the time it gets here.

View attachment 185655

Zip tie EVERYTHING
View attachment 185656

View attachment 185657

View attachment 185661

View attachment 185662
Nice setup. I like that they have available those fused leads for connecting to the battery. Just makes the wiring a little simpler.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Nice setup. I like that they have available those fused leads for connecting to the battery. Just makes the wiring a little simpler.
Thanks! Fused leads for radios or lights are a must. They only cost a few dollars and, like you say, make life so much easier! I still need to zip tie a few wires but it started snowing and I was getting hungry. Tomorrow, I’ll finish that up and maybe start on the antenna coax.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I got tired of having to take off the 2m/70cm antenna every time I wanted to park in the garage so I ended up buying a Comet B10 to use with repeaters around town and short distance car to car on trails. I also have a 1/2 wave that I keep in the back and I can switch it out if I need a little more range. I could have just put the B10 on the mag base but it’s short enough that it just barely clears the garage door when mounted on the rack. I’m going to leave the CB antenna on the mag mount base since I don’t use it as often.

I finally got everything fitted and hooked up and I think it looks pretty clean. I ended up repurposing an old Ram Mount for the FTM400xdr head which is mounted to a block of wood that fits in the front storage tray. The arm pivots out of the way so I stil have a good view of the 4WD controls when I need them. The base is mounted under the passenger seat with the CB.

Here is the Comet mounted to the rack before connecting the coax.

4EFB50A2-9555-4069-ADD1-89D79CF99EB0.jpeg

Powered up and ready to go.

806EDF32-FD3F-428F-AE96-98D9D6E15623.jpeg

Reactions: freak4life

PhilP

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Paternoster
I figured it was time to go ahead and start a build thread to keep track of what I’ve done to this Jeep. My wife and I love to travel and see new places and in 5 months this rig has already seen National Forests and Parks in 5 states. It’s pretty normal for us to take a Friday off and be out the door on a Thursday night to visit some random destination. We also like to check out local wineries wherever we travel and (of course) try the best local food. Because of the miles we rack up, this needs to be comfortable on the interstate as well as capable off-road. I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that even the most capable rigs still spend most of their time on pavement and it’s important to make sure the on-road capability is not lessened by the off-road modifications. That being said, I lIke the flexibility of being able to take the road (trail) less traveled for some great scenery. I don’t do a lot of rock crawling but I like having the capability in a pinch so I’ll likely add a 2“ lift later on. We’ll see how it goes.

I chose the Cherokee Trailhawk because, after almost a year of research and test drives, it was the vehicle that met both the ‘wants’ and the ‘needs’ best for me. So far I’ve been very happy with it. I got well north of 100,000 miles out of my last rig and I hope this one will do as well.

OK, on to the progress. Here it is on day 1, a stock 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk:

View attachment 127062

I don’t have a name for this one yet but I think it sort of looks like the shark from Jaws. I’m still kicking around some ideas. The roof rack was the first addition and I picked up some recovery boards (full post about the boards and mounts here) because getting stuck sucks. I‘ve done it in the past and don’t recommend it at all.

View attachment 127063

I also added a Cobra 75 WXST CB radio (full post here). Even with the renewed popularity of HAM and the recent surge in GMRS/FRS radios, CB is still the one most used. I mounted the base under the passenger seat and the CB can stay out of the way in the center console when not in use. I also keep a cheap Baofeng with a 12V adapter an a mag mount antenna in the truck in case I want to reach out a bit further. Lately I stick to DMR but, again, its nice to have options.

View attachment 127064

View attachment 127074

I had the front two windows tinted to match the rear ones. I don’t like limousine tint but I also don’t like slow-roasting on the interstate when the sun is on me. The back windows tested at 28% factory tint so the 35% I had put on matches almost perfectly. No problems seeing at night and I don’t turn medium well as the sun sets.

View attachment 127075

This week I finished changing the interior lights. I’m used to having a red dome light in my work vehicle to save my night vision so I always do it to my personal vehicle as well. Some people love it, some hate it. it works well for me. In my last rig I just changed out all the bulbs but in the Jeep, the front map lights and the rear cargo lights are incandescent while the rear passenger lights are single LEDs soldered on a circuit board. For those, I had to buy some red window tint and cover the lenses with two applications of the film. That ended up matching the LED bulbs I bought for the front and cargo areas perfectly. I left the white lights in the visor vanities and I left the white LED that shines down on the center console because it can be turned off. If I were to need super bright white light for anything, I also have an LED lantern on board. So, yet again, now I have options.

View attachment 127077

View attachment 127078

View attachment 127079

So here is how she sits right now. Still close to stock with some minor changes. I wanted to make this post so I would have a record of the changes/additions I’m making and I’ll try to keep it updated as I go.

View attachment 127080
Do you experience unsettling roof flexing at the rear rail mounts when the rack is loaded? I carry two SUPs on a Yakima rack, and the amount of flex at the rear rail mounts makes me wonder what the side rails are attached to.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Do you experience unsettling roof flexing at the rear rail mounts when the rack is loaded? I carry two SUPs on a Yakima rack, and the amount of flex at the rear rail mounts makes me wonder what the side rails are attached to.
Wow, sorry for the late reply. Not sure how I missed it.
I have not seen any noticeable roof flex but I don't carry a lot of weight up there. The most I usually have up top are my recovery boards and light accessories like radio masts or muddy gear. I don't know what the rear of the rails are mounted to but I remember that the GOBI rack instructions showed the hardpoints to mount their rack to. So there must be something.