Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

I had mentioned at the beginning of this build thread that there would be some explanations on some of the choices being made.

Tires:
I've fitted BFG All Terrains in size 265 70 r17 (31.7") on factory optional wheels. This choice was based on a few factors.
First off, I could keep them tucked under the fenders to be legal wherever we may wander. The narrow footprint and AT design should help keep the mud off the truck and help with fuel range as well.
Second, it's a common size and tire that can be found virtually anywhere.
Third, the same size fits on my factory spare in its original location!
Then there's the noise when knocking down the miles between locations.
AT's are just quieter than RT's and MT's and that reduces fatigue.

Lift/suspension:
I decided early on that this truck would stay pretty low. I chose the fox leveling shock set to remove the rake, improve the off-road manners, and soften the ride.
The goal here was to keep the driveline happy and not end up top heavy and tippy.
Because of this I added the skids and rock sliders to protect the underside of the truck.
The rear leaf springs may have to be replaced due to weight, but that remains to be seen.

Sleeping arrangements:
This decision has been a struggle. I still have the CVT RTT pictured on the trailer including the annex. I love a lot about RTT's in general, but I've got some reservations about using it in this build.
Fuel mileage, like with the tires is one of the first concerns. I am trying to keep the fuel range over 300 miles per tank. The Ranger only carries 18 gal. Our RTT is like a parachute at highway speeds.
Then the elephant in the room with a Soft shell RTT, time. It is time consuming to set up and take down. This is less of an issue when camping for several days.
The weight is part of the consideration. Not only is it heavy (near 200 lbs with annex) Most of that weight is up high exaggerating the negative affect on handling.
For now, the answer looks to be our Gazelle T4. Sets up and packs away crazy fast and weighs 30 lbs. It is long when packed up and will have to ride on the roof rack.
I'm still torn on this one as there are other RTT options, but they get pretty expensive and large when you consider we need room for three.

More to come later. :-)

Last edited:

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

RSI Kitchen came in! Waiting on the stow away table and roof rack for it to show up.

PXL_20210402_182430654.jpg
Mounted up the ARB Elements fridge as well.

PXL_20210402_232057538.jpg

Trigger is getting new leaf springs to carry this new weight. Going with Old Man EMU springs rated for constant load of 660 lbs in the bed.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
RSI Kitchen came in! Waiting on the stow away table and roof rack for it to show up.

View attachment 193567
Mounted up the ARB Elements fridge as well.

View attachment 193568

Trigger is getting new leaf springs to carry this new weight. Going with Old Man EMU springs rated for constant load of 660 lbs in the bed.
I'm still debating the OME springs. I'll wait until I get the camper and make the decision if I need them then. Were you getting much sag before installing the new kit?

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

My headlights told me it was down in the back. Didn't really look bad until then.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
My headlights told me it was down in the back. Didn't really look bad until then.
I had to adjust the headlights when I leveled the front. Right now with just normal camping weight in the back, its fine.

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

OME springs are ordered, but it may be a bit before they show up.
Roof rack and table for the RSI Smartcap are also out in the shipping nether still as well.
Shrockworks winch mount is expected mid May. I decided to go with a Bluetti AC200P with 400 watts solar for the power for the fridge etc. I wired an aux 12v charge circuit that is programmed to shut off power to the Bluetti anytime the truck is off to protect the starter battery.

In the meantime, I started working on the wiring for interior lights and the future exterior lighting. The lights are from Perth Diesel Performance and can be red or white. Switches in the cab are from Switch Pro's.
Ignore the crazy wiring in the red shot, as I was just testing the lights out.lol The fuse panel will be fed by the Bluetti's 25amp 12v output and runs everything in the back.

PXL_20210419_193938611.jpgPXL_20210418_010247994.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20210420_123015869.jpgPXL_20210419_152545685.jpg

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Still waiting on The RSI Table and platform rack to show up. In the meantime mounted some frontrunner load bars so I could get the awning up and in service. Spent the weekend out with it in light rain and winds, performed awesome! The Awning is the Bush Company 270 XT.
PXL_20210430_212619239.jpg
PXL_20210430_212638360.jpg
PXL_20210502_114236190.jpg

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Finally mounted the propane and strapped down the water Jerry. I added the hose to the lifesaver jerry so that it can stay where it is and be used.

PXL_20210505_155720214.jpg

I wired a charging circuit from the switch pro's to keep the Bluetti's charge topped off while driving. The switch pro's module is programmable so I set up a circuit to turn on and off with the ignition automatically.
Also ran an extension cord to the back for easy access to 110 power.

PXL_20210505_155706159.jpg

Mounted up a pair of Rigid dss lights on the windshield.

PXL_20210503_183335600.jpg

Found a hidden spot for the GMRS/FRS radio and mounted the antennae.

PXL_20210504_000105064.jpg
PXL_20210504_000057078.jpg

Oh, and mounted my badge.

PXL_20210504_001552255.jpg

Reactions: GLOCKer

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Installed the Old Man Emu springs this week. Pain in the butt. The poly bushings put up quite the fight and I had to modify the centering pin on the drivers side spring to accommodate the leveling shim.
The springs are part # EL121R which are for a constant 300kg (661 lbs) in the bed. The truck feels like there is nothing in/on the bed now!PXL_20210515_124623690.jpg
PXL_20210515_123818508.jpg

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Finally weighed the truck in a ready to go state....

I'm flirting with the gvwr of 6k.

Time to sort through the tools and gear and find some headroom.

Reactions: GLOCKer

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Finally weighed the truck in a ready to go state....

I'm flirting with the gvwr of 6k.

Time to sort through the tools and gear and find some headroom.
This is my concern with my Ranger. I've added an add-a-leaf to the rear that supposedly increases capacity. But still...
...how much can she take? HAHAHA I haven't even been out fully loaded yet! Don't judge, but for teh really hot days, I've scored an old window unit AC that I plan on modifying for ducting AC into my RTT. And I have a generator. And I have a 20lb lpg tank for running the grill, cook stove, and generator. And then there is the possibility of dragging my kayak along and my fishing gear. And all of my recovery gear. The weight is going to add up!