Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
Ok everybody. I just traded my full size GMC 3500 for a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. Not we start the build. My last build was a 2015 JK 2 door (TRLEATR) and I love it (kinda miss the Jeep wave already), but didn't get rid of it. It was too small for camping on easy trails. Now the Taco. Here are my constraints. I want to have something that I can daily drive (must fit in short term parking at SFO) and something that I can take to the slabs at Slick Rock... Don't need to go all the way through. First Toyota, love how it drives and looks. Need some inspiration from the community. I promise - will take photo's along the way.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Ok everybody. I just traded my full size GMC 3500 for a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. Not we start the build. My last build was a 2015 JK 2 door (TRLEATR) and I love it (kinda miss the Jeep wave already), but didn't get rid of it. It was too small for camping on easy trails. Now the Taco. Here are my constraints. I want to have something that I can daily drive (must fit in short term parking at SFO) and something that I can take to the slabs at Slick Rock... Don't need to go all the way through. First Toyota, love how it drives and looks. Need some inspiration from the community. I promise - will take photo's along the way.
Wow! That's exciting. Congrats! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Congrats. Start with suspension and wheels/tires if needed. You've done it before though haven't you. Jealous.

Reactions: TRL EATR

TRL EATR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
Congrats. Start with suspension and wheels/tires if needed. You've done it before though haven't you. Jealous.
I have, but on a Jeep Wrangler. I made mistakes on that one, I want to learn from those with Toyota's before I make them again :)

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've. Even building a 2011 Tacoma and started with suspension wheels/tires. Then roof rack, front bumper, and rear - in that order. The main mistake I made was buying the a winch a couple months after the front bumper. If you go with an ARB bumper, the winch mounts inside the bumper, feet forward. If you buy a Warn Zeon (very popular and good quality) you must have the bumper off in order to fit it properly. Unfortunately, I had to learn that myself, removing the bumper in order to install the Winch. Also, in this bumper/winch combo, you'll need synthetic line and an offset fairlead. That's another $400. The good thing about this is you'll have a great setup in the end.

TRL EATR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
Yes. Putting a snugtop xtra vision on it tomorrow!

Reactions: Barton Fink

TRL EATR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
Planning next step. Ordering a set of Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 6 suspension and lift today, should be here in a few weeks. I think I'm going to attempt to install myself. Has anyone installed on a 16+ Taco? I don't want to put spacers on the truck, nor do I want to have to re-gear, so, I'm thinking 285/75/16 as max. But I'm torn on which tires to put on it. A good balance of off road capability, with little noise on the road.

Reactions: Buffdeez

1largemouth

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Martinez
Member #

That size tire is perfect, a good tire would be the Nitto terra grappler I ran them 2x but then moved on to mt/r . As for install of the icons I'd imagine not much different than the previous years as far as how to install... I would deffinatley recommend getting u.c.a.'s slapping them on, then loosen the l.c.a. so it drops. Slide in the new coilover and done! If you plan on a steel bumper & winch you had better get a 700# spring on them icons now. Good luck dude!

Porter707

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Northern California
Member #

Congrats on the purchase! Will be fun watching the progress you make on it!

I'm throwing on a Bilstein 5100 setup here shortly, not as fancy as those Icons, but will do the job for the time being!

ExFil

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Jose, Ca
Member #

Hey Scott, I am a huge fan of icon suspension so I would start there( but any of the big three are good) . as always protection protection protection .. lots of options for that stuff..pelfrey bilt has really good and high quality stuff.. along with relentless and demello products. When I was building my 2016 I went with bfgoodrich 255/85r16.. the pizza cutter tires.. they weigh less than other competitors/ less stress on components and can be quiet on the roadway... good luck with the build!!