• HTML tutorial

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Hi everyone,

Pike, checking in for the first time from Weatherford, TX just outside of Fort Worth.

New to overlanding...bought this rig about a month before I caught on to some of the awesome adventuring outfits like Expedition Overland and Mountain State Overland are doing on YouTube. It's a little too late to try trading this big girl for a 4Runner so we're just gonna make it work...and while it might be a tight squeeze here and there I think we're going to be fine. Besides the upfitting work done by Tuscany (a local Fort Worth outfit) the "JumboLander" is untouched at the moment. Here's what we have onboard so far:

6" ProComp suspension lift (this is one thing I wish I'd have had more say in...hopefully this will do though)
ProComp performance shocks (ditto)
35" BFG KO2's (love 'em)
3-step wheel to wheel bars (not as good as dedicated rock rails but way more protection than the average step rail I hope)
Functional air dam (looks cool but probably could have done without)
All the normal Z71 'stuff'

I'd love to hear feedback from other Silverado owners about upgrades they've made...specifically info about bed caps, roof rails, RTT's, hitch gates and anything else you want to divulge! Total noob here so I'm learning from any and every source I can. Right now my upgrade priorites are:

Steel bumper with 10k pound Warn up front....that painted front end is pretty but not likely to hold up for long I'm afraid.
Bed cap....thinking ARE?
Drawer system for organizing
RTT

Thanks and glad to have found the community here!

Pike

IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2920.JPG IMG_2849.JPG

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Looks like you and I are going to be friends lol.

Instagram: @dhcave
Nice! Yep, I'd say so sir. For one...need some advice on which trails we can take these fat bottomed girls without coming back with 3 different shades of black on the door panels, haha. Glad to meet you!

My instagram: @thatmattclement

Reactions: kickkem

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Nice! Yep, I'd say so sir. For one...need some advice on which trails we can take these fat bottomed girls without coming back with 3 different shades of black on the door panels, haha. Glad to meet you!

My instagram: @thatmattclement
The one thing holding me back was not knowing anyone willing to get out there with. Not too keen on going it alone. As far as scratches go, you'll either have to get used to it or take steps to protect the paint. It's just part of the game.

I have 3 places in mind that are local to us.

1. Oklahoma Adventure Trail
2. Davy Crocket or Sam Houston NF
3. Ouachita NF

In June I'm taking a trip with New Mexico Backroads to the Gila National Forest. It will be my 2nd trip with NMBR, and the guide, Jake Quinones is a great guy. More so if you're new (like us) since his trips are designed to be instructional. Highly recommended and it would be awesome to convoy out with a fellow Texan.

Reactions: kickkem

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

The one thing holding me back was not knowing anyone willing to get out there with. Not too keen on going it alone. As far as scratches go, you'll either have to get used to it or take steps to protect the paint. It's just part of the game.

I have 3 places in mind that are local to us.

1. Oklahoma Adventure Trail
2. Davy Crocket or Sam Houston NF
3. Ouachita NF

In June I'm taking a trip with New Mexico Backroads to the Gila National Forest. It will be my 2nd trip with NMBR, and the guide, Jake Quinones is a great guy. More so if you're new (like us) since his trips are designed to be instructional. Highly recommended and it would be awesome to convoy out with a fellow Texan.

Nice----just started a PM with ya bud. On the scratches...google 'Flight Shield'. There's a couple places in the DFW area that apply it...it's a 'nano-polymer' that basically acts like another layer of clearcoat. Not cheap but should have the same effect on truck paint as those screen shields do for your phone.

Count me in on the NM trip! My wife and I have been talking about a trip like that (we also have an 8 year old daughter)...let's get in contact about it!

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

For you guys who have full size trucks....any recommendations on caps? Also....RTT's....anyone mounted one on top of a cap and have experiences to share? Thanks!

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

The last couple of months have seen some good progress on 'Black Betty'! Added a Snugtop Rebel (w/500lb load capacity), Decked drawer system and a Yakima rack with extended Megawarrior basket. We've had the chance to finally take her out for a camping weekend during the Texas Overland spring meet up. I still get a little jealous at all the cool Toyota's and Jeep's...but that fades pretty quick when I jump inside and motor down the road/trail/highway...5.3L V8 is getting 15-16MPG fully loaded and we haven't met a hill that was a problem yet. Next up---a Roadshower system up top and perhaps a Foxwing awning if I can get the mount right. She's been a good truck so far and proud to carry an Overland Bound emblem on her tailgate!

Attachments

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Nice rig, good to see another full size Chevy here! Black too, good choice!... Can't give any input on the RTT, I ended up going with a "stealth" setup in the bed. Just couldn't make myself put a RTT up on top and I didn't want to start over with a bed rack set up. If you do go that way and are looking for roof rack options, I have really liked the Frontrunner slimline, I would definitely recommend them! Can't wait to see where you go with this!

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Looking good, we went with the Alu-Cab 270 Shadow anwing on our F250 and love it! We also got the wall kit for it and almost love it.

Once I figure out a way to post pictures I will share them with you if you like? Daryl

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Just stumbled on your build! Looks awesome! I’m def feeling you on the width of my hips and the size of these trails. Already have tons of pin stripes and one nice kiss from a bolder :(. I just picked up a front runner tent as it is the thinnest I could find when shut. Which made it inline with my cab on my truckbed rack.

I see you have the same stock step/rock slider as me. I’ve bashed mine on both sides so far but the held up. If you ever come across nice rock sliders for the rado I’d love to check them out.

If you ever want some good trails in California! Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Bojak4909

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Atlanta
Pike - Good looking rig. Really like the setup you got so far. I will be going with a cap and a decked system on my sierra soon as well. Might go softopper route, but not sure. Keep up the good work and keep wheelin it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

Would do you like your Decked system. Can you give me some pros and cons you have discovered while owning it? I am seriously looking to get one.