Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Hey everyone! I just joined today and am so excited for this membership and community, so I figured I'd take some time to start a build thread of my own!

Last November (2016), I decided to make the jump from a small fast sports car to the WK2 so I could build a dream overlanding Overland. I love diesel tech, so that was a must. I found this example with 40k miles in Chicago, booked my one way flight, then drove it back. I take plenty of photos, so prepare for picture heavy.

The vehicle:
- Name: Greta
- Details: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 EcoDiesel

[Mods]

Aesthetics/Security:
- Dechromed all badges (front/rear), door handles, mirrors
- Connor Trailer Lock
- Front camera system (prewired; purchased rear backup camera for use up front)

Wheels/Tires:
- 18" OEM Jeep wheels (4 + spare)
- BFG AT KO2 265/65/18 (4 + spare)

Protection:
- Mopar Skid Plates (front axle, transfer case, fuel tanks)
- Chief Products Nudge Bar
- Chief Products Sump Protection Plate + Transmission Protection Plate
- Chief Products Lower Front Guard + ACC guard (leaving off lower fascia)

Storage:
- Front Runner Outfitters Slimline II roof rack
- Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Solo (Spare + Hi-Lift mounted)

Lighting:
- Front Runner Outfitters 40" Spot/Flood Combo light bar (mounted on roof rack)
- Black Oak 7" LED Round Lights (mounted on Nudge Bar)

Recovery:
- Hi-Lift Jack 48"
- Bully Tools Shovel

Planned:
- Refrigeration/trunk storage bins
- 2017 18" Trailhawk Wheels
- Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 265/65/18

Here's what it looked like the day I bought it!
IMG_1272.JPG

Well once I drove it home, the first thing I wanted was to swap the 20's for 18's so I could fit meatier rubber on there. After having owned a Touareg T2 TDI in the past with the stock 20's, I don't like exploding tires in the middle of Mexico... So this is how the Jeep turned out about a month later.

15994861_10207698157785254_5507602099699922602_o.jpg

Realizing I wanted to build it out and start this wonderful car modding journey once again (so, so many cars money pitted...) I opted to purchase full Mopar skid plates. Once completed, I then bought a roof rack as I was gearing up for my first camping experience with a few friends in Delaware. So I researched pretty heavily and decided on the Front Runner Outfitters roof rack, mainly because of the sheer number of accessories and how modular it is!
20170609_181302.jpg
Also, I started to plastidip the chrome bits up front, and then purchased some door handle and mirror covers in black to accent the rest of the black paint. Here's another picture in OR2 (as it's got the QL).
20170610_181158.jpg

Next up was finishing up the black decals and chrome up front. Took it to Cape Hatteras in OBX, NC for a few weeks trip to do some kitesurfing with all the family joining up! The tie downs used are called "stratchits" and they are PHENOMENAL.
20170817_211237.jpg

So far, this is where I'm at. Just finished making the rear decals black (except the Overland badge on the right, keeping it as is). Tomorrow (8/18) my Front Runner Outfitters 40" light bar arrives, and will be going on immediately. More to follow!
20170816_193723.jpg

Last edited:

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Nice looking rig, keep up the good work. This was my first choice in rigs but needed the additional everyday cargo space so I ended up with a Ram 1500 with the eco-diesel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Nice looking rig, keep up the good work. This was my first choice in rigs but needed the additional everyday cargo space so I ended up with a Ram 1500 with the eco-diesel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
Understandable. I think I'd get a truck next time around for that added bed space... and because I want a Raptor :grin:

Last edited:

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

So I finished installing the Front Runner Outfitters 40" light bar this afternoon. Took me longer than I thought due to some inaccuracies in spacing between spots from the factory, but I got it up and it's sitting nice and fit in its spot. I'll likely start wiring the bar's wire into the vehicle this weekend, then have some gurus actually get it wired professionally. Here's a shot of it mounted and all.

My first thought was a quote from The Fifth Element:
"Aziz, LIGHT!!"
*Alien ship lights up the place with serious light*
"Thank you Aziz!"

20170818_183144.jpg

20170818_182432.jpg

20170818_182450.jpg

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Great start to your build! Big fan of keeping everything looking clean and you have done just that!

Not sure what part of N. VA your in but I have had all my electrical work done at Trick Trucks in Frederick MD and they have done a great job tailoring everything the way I want.

Reactions: DanMetiv and CO_R1T

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Great start to your build! Big fan of keeping everything looking clean and you have done just that!

Not sure what part of N. VA your in but I have had all my electrical work done at Trick Trucks in Frederick MD and they have done a great job tailoring everything the way I want.
Thanks! Yeah I wanted to keep some of the small chrome vestigials so it's not completely black everything. Also, I opted for OEM JGC 18 inch wheels to maintain an OEM look. The one thing upcoming that will change the overall look is an ARB bumper up front... Although that's a bit of a ways away still.

Frederick is about an hour away from me, although I think there's another Trick Trucks in the Dulles area which would be more accessible to me. I'll check it out in case of anything then! Thanks for the info.

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

So today I wired up the light bar to the battery distribution lugs (the smaller connection points) that attach to the battery under the seat. Took a while to get it wired in there, since there's almost no room to work and you have to awkwardly lean on the rear bench...

Anyways, wiring was easy after that. Now just waiting on a wiring extension to come in, since there wasn't enough wire to route it the way I wanted. Here are a few shots with the shutter speed at about 1/1000 and ISO at 80. It's difficult when there's so much light! :laughing:

Standard lights with fogs on:
20170821_213952.jpg

From the side so you can see some effect:
20170821_214036.jpg

Other side:
20170821_214048.jpg

And finally, after setting the shutter speed to 1/24000, here's my own version of capturing an eclipse today :yum:
20170821_214005.jpg

md_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia, Maryland
Member #

How are you liking the KO2's on the WK2? I opted to go with the Wildpeak AT3W's on my wife's WK2 after 1 winter on the factory tires. We love the AT3W's in the wet winter weather we get in the DC area.

I like the direction you're going with your rig! Keep it up man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mexica

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

How are you liking the KO2's on the WK2? I opted to go with the Wildpeak AT3W's on my wife's WK2 after 1 winter on the factory tires. We love the AT3W's in the wet winter weather we get in the DC area.

I like the direction you're going with your rig! Keep it up man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They've proven to be significantly better in every condition over the stock Forteras on the 20" wheels. They air down and ride like butter over soft sand in OBX. They are a bit louder than I would've hoped (loudest between 25-40mph), but not terrible. On top of that, they come highly rated!

And thanks! Here's a few pictures of it after I put the badge on today :sunglasses:
20170829_230242.jpg

20170829_230303.jpg

20170829_230257.jpg

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Just ordered the following from Chief Products:
- Sump Protection Plate
- Lower Front Guard (w/ ACC Guard)
- Recovery Hooks

It would essentially look like the picture below, minus the nudge/light bar combo. Eventually I'll order the nudge bar and ARB light bar (or a Rigid 20" bar), but the price tag on those items are a bit steep. I'll wait a bit before I jump on that one.
12322863_920972747981217_8301072466974282165_o.jpg
TBD!!

Last edited:

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Rendering looks great! It has such a aggressive stance!
That's Chief Product's own Grand Cherokee, which is real! (I assume you said rendering as though it weren't?) They have a TON of awesome shots of their Jeep overlanding in AUS. Check their Facebook page!

wk2blackpearl

Rank II

Advocate I

How is your QL doing with the 265/65/18 size tires? I'm trying to decide on my tire upgrade... Still riding on the OEM 20" rims though, not sure if I'll change them out yet.

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

How is your QL doing with the 265/65/18 size tires? I'm trying to decide on my tire upgrade... Still riding on the OEM 20" rims though, not sure if I'll change them out yet.
Quadra Lift and the tires match well. I have turned the wheel for lock-to-lock at Entry/Exit, NRH, OR1, and OR2 with no rubbing or drama. I still have my 20" set of wheels, although eventually I'll get around to just selling them.

Reactions: wk2blackpearl