Contributor III

Bristol, TN
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baker
Service Branch
Army
I have been off roading for years in 2 separate Jeep Wranglers. I just got rid of my 2015 Jeep jku sahara that was fairly built and very capable offroad. I never did any overnight trips or long trips in it tho. My new to me vehicle is a 2013 Ford Svt Raptor with the 6.2l super crew cab. It's pretty much stock besides exhaust and programmer on it. It is a Raptor tho so it sits up around 2 inches higher than a normal F150 and comes stock with 35x12.50r17 tires. It also has a electronic locker in the rear and torsen limited slip in the front. I needed something a little more drivable everyday with more room. I absolutely love the truck but it does have longer beefier axles and with the baja fenders it is 7 inches wider than your everyday F150. So I am worried that may hinder me on the trails. Does anyone else here user a wide body vehicle such as a Raptor and do you have any problems? I am not looking to rock crawl or anything like I use to do in my JKU. Just wanting to get out and enjoy some nature and travel through some moderate difficulty trails. One last question, what upgrades would you all consider with a vehicle such as this? Maybe a winch or even a rail system over the bed for a off the ground tent? Or is my normal tent on the ground just as good? Sorry if the questions are easy to answer I am still learning my way around the forum.

Reactions: Camp_Llama

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
Seeing as you're in the Southeast, the Raptor is a big truck to the tight trees we have down here. I'd say protection is the main goal. Even easy trails have ways to tear up your truck, for example; my 1996 Land Cruiser had a big hole in the bumper from a green marked trail at Hale Mountain Off Road Park because of a turn that was too tight, and probably a bad driver (16-17 years old at the time).

The Raptor comes with some fairly good underbody protection already I believe so i'd look for a high clearance winch bumper with a winch. Then I would get some camping gear if you plan to camp, and get out there. Test and tune your truck, see where it excels and where it falls short. You don't want to spend money on something that your truck is already great at, and realize that you should have bought something else.

Get out there and have fun. There are a few trails around the Southeast. Just drive carefully!