2013 FJ Mods - Where to start? Recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Hey everyone! @Uber is a good friend of mine, and he's starting off on a build for a 2013 FJ.

Where does a guy go in these parts to start wrapping his brain around this? :)

And... Welcome to the forums, Bill!

Corrie

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Uber

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oh hi, Corrie! Mostly I'm interested in where to start, and what to avoid.

Also, I'm looking right now at a Rocketbox (or similar) to expand storage. Thanks for any advice given!

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

FJ's are pretty capable right out of the box. Mostly it will be the same regardless of vehicle. Tires first, lift, recovery gear, lights, bumpers, traction aids, coms etc. The one major thing most people do is to replace the rear lower control arm. They are not real strong and can break if hit.

Build threads on here and other forums really help to see what can be done.

This thread has some good info. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/what-mods-are-there-for-2014-fjs.4607/#post-71545

On my Tacoma I find that the first things I've done and enjoyed the most are items that improve our comfort and convenience for when we get out. I'd rather have a well set up storage, convenience lights, comfort items rather than bumpers.

My Red FJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Virginia
Member #

YES the spot mirrors! Haha. Tires were a must for me. My 285's are the perfect match between MPG and off road capability. It really depends on what your doing. One of the first mods I did was redirect the rear differential breather hose to the engine compartment. Cheap and a must if you do a lot of river crossing. I got a snorkel as well because the stock air intake is in the fender where you kick up the most dirt. And obviously some compartments for the trunk if you plan on keeping your gear in one place on the trails. Haha congrats on the rig and hope you have a fun build!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Big question, are you planning on an off-road rig or more expedition style?

+1 to the mirrors, +1 to the rear diff breather, just did this as well. For the price and simplicity it's a quick improvement. As far as the rear lower control arms, I haven't had any problems with mine, and they have lots of battle scars on them, once again, depends on how you plan on using the vehicle.

My FJ came with a 3"OME lift and 33" tires, and ARB roof rack already, so my first real mod was rock sliders, they saved the rig from some serious damage early on. I used the factory skid plates for a couple runs until they were bent beyond repair, and then replaced with a Ricochet HD aluminum skid set. I haven't hit anything that they couldn't handle yet.

I love the OME lift for the smooth ride, but I have always had it so can't compare to stock. My ARB roof rack is great, but I am thinking about replacing it/modifying now that I am thinking about a RTT. I would probably go with a low profile style like a Baja rack expedition or utility if I had to buy a new one.

and as @ASNOBODY said, the Blue Room is a great wealth of info/pics/and vids for FJs

Reactions: My Red FJ