Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
So I just took delivery of a brand new CVT roof top tent and awning and needed to change my setup. My old RTT didn't have a anex so I kept it low on the truck bed by just sitting it on top of the bed. Being that my new tent had and anex and I was also wanting to add an awning to my rig I had to come up with a new plan. So my first idea was to get some kind of topper and mount the tent to it but I thought it might be to hard to remove all in one piece if I needed to take it off. So with that out of the picture I desided to build my own rack so I called up my local steel yard and order some 3" angle iron, 2x2 tubing and some 1 1/2x1 1/2 tubing and started building my rack

Attachments

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
After I got everything welded up I started thinking about my next problem. How to keep honest people honest and keep stuff from getting stolen I looked at covers netting systems putting wire mesh. After a couple of days of racking my brain trying to find a way to make it happen I was walking through Walmart and seen Cisco 6' folding plastic tables being in white I really wasn't that fond of them but I took some measurements and when home to do some more research. After getting on the internet I found out that I could get them in black so I order up with two

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
IMG_1425.JPG With the table finally coming in a few days later the next task was to find away to attach them to my rack like a bed cover. So haveing a locking tail gate I besided to make them side in from the back and the I could shut and lock my tailgate and my gear would be locked underneath. After welding up the bars for the table and welding on an ax/shovel mount my rack was finally finished

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
IMG_1431.JPG IMG_1430.JPG A few days after getting the rack welded and finished up I got it back from the powder coater and ready to mount to the truck. The next day my RTT arrived at work.IMG_1437.JPG So being like a little kid a Christmas I had to open and mount it to the rack when I got home.IMG_1439.JPGIMG_1449.JPG IMG_1448.JPG

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
Thanks!! Yea I told myself I would never buy another black truck this is number 4 and it has pinstripes like the rest haha I'm hoping to see a white 4Runner in my near future

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
When I got home last night the FedEx guy left me a box so that means I had to head out to the shop for a much needed upgrade. After putting the new tent and rack I need to up in a add-a-leaf to get the truck back up to ride height being that I have a lift only took about hour and half I also took off my factory running boards didn't talk pics during installation but here are a couple of where it sits now IMG_1480.JPGIMG_1477.JPGIMG_1479.JPGIMG_1481.JPG

Reactions: Raul B

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
No it's just a 3.7 I never planned on using it for overlanding. I had a 99 grand Cherokee that was just for overlanding but it started having a lot of problems so I let it go the truck is just a temporary rig for now that's why I have built the trailer. I've got the approval from the wife to get another rig so my plan is to go pick up a new 5 gen 4Runner trail edition

Reactions: WillysDave

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

Out of curiosity, how did you secure the rack to your bed? From what I can see in the pictures it looks like you used 4 bolts about 1/4" or 3/8" in diameter?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
4 3/8" bolts and I put a 1" strip of metal under the bed lip so they couldn't pull through I was going to put 3 bolts but didn't see the need with grade 8 bolts

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

Thanks for the response. I've been looking at fabing my own bed rack and I wanted to see how everyone secures their own version.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
I didn't mind drilling holes in the top of my bed rail so I mounted mine that way I built a rack for a friend not to long ago and used jhooks to hook the rail but he takes his on and off all the time