• HTML tutorial

Dan Hartman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Thousand Oaks, CA
Member #

2011 Z71 LT 1500 Suburban

Well this should be a good spot to start documenting the build on my Suburban! I've got a wife, 3 kids and a dog... we use this thing as a daily driver and a tow vehicle for our travel trailer (wife's version of camping!). When i got this rig a few years ago it was on 22's with thin street tires, looked like a lowrider. I quickly added a 2.5/1" leveling kit and 33" mud terrains. Kept that set up for a year or so, and just recently added a 4" lift and 34" all-terrains (MT's were heavy and loud).

I usually camp and go on trips with my two oldest sons (8 & 11 years old). The wife and 2 year old stay home. We sleep in the back of the suburban on top of the folded down 3rd row seats and drawer system. A full size air mattress works well back there!

Current Setup:
4" Fabtech lift
Bilstein 5100's up front
Fox 2.0's in the rear
Airlift air bags in rear to support when towing
295/70/18 Toyo AT2's (34"x11.6")
Flowmaster muffler
DIY drawer system/sleeping platform
Tow mirrors
Mosquito screens over the sunroof and rear windows (magnetic DIY)
Yakima sky box

Upcoming projects/additions:
will document the installs here
Roof rack (still researching)
Lighting
Dual battery system
onboard air compressor
Gears (currently 3.43 going to 4.10's)
possible 6" lift
hitch mounted winch setup for front and rear
.... taking suggestions!

Here are some photos after a recent wash
Burban Side shot edit.jpg
Burban rear driver angle 2.JPG

recent "glamping" trip up at Mammoth Mountain, back when it was just leveled on 33" MT's
Burban with Trailer.JPG

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Your rig looks great! How do you like how it rides? Is the Fabtech doing well for you? I've got an old 2500hd Silverado I'm wanting to toy with some. It won't be a great hardcore offroader but I hope it will make a good camping rig. I think you have a great start and some good goals.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Dan Hartman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Thousand Oaks, CA
Member #

It rides great, however the tires rub pretty bad. That's why i'm thinking of going to a 6" lift. The Fabtech is ok. I was expecting 4 inches, however it only got me slightly over 3" which is near what I had with the leveling kit. However my CV angles are better now. I went with the budget kit (upper control arms & diff drop bracket). I upgraded to Bilstein 5100's in the front which feel much better than the stock shocks and leveling kit that I had on prior.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Nice Z71; rare to see a Z71 in the GMT900. I like the stance and agree 6-7" to clear the 34"-35" tires. That's what I love about the burb you can bring everything and still sleep in it on quick camping road trips. Curious to see why your running Bilstein up front and Fox in the rear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

tsingson

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

RTP, NC
Member #

I love this. I had looked at Suburbans before I decided on the Expedition EL. Ford guy at heart, I guess. Truck looks so good though. Can't wait to read more!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Full size SUV for the win , because it's a lot easier than telling the wife and kids "hey you need to bring less stuff"
This is very true! Hauls everything and goes most places with the entire family...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk