Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Looking for advice on the best 2.5 to 3 inch lift for overlanding?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Looking for advice on the best 2.5 to 3 inch lift for overlanding?
what type of terrain do you tend to see more? rocks? mud? water? sand? how much weight do you carry? I have been through many suspensions, but my needs will differ from yours.

I have found that I like Synergy progressive rate springs for load and comfort, but if you go with them , order a 1" taller spring in the front because they say their springs "maintain factory rake" which according to them is up to 2". Rough country springs sag ( not that I think anyone will recommend rough country) in less than a year. I am on Rock Krawler springs now and they seem decent but will sag with a large amount of load ( I also have the coils corrected in the rear now to not only to help with flex but with load). A lot of people recommend OME but I have never tried them.
Now control arms! if you travel through a lot of mud I would stick to a rubber or poly bushing. if you do more rock crawling I would go with a flex joint on one end, which I have used a Lot of Rubicon express joints which seem fine as long as you keep them greased ( like a shot of grease after every trip). a lot of Rock crawling will destroy Poly bushings quickly ( may just be my experience but I was replacing the poly hour glass bushings in my RE arms more than I felt I should be).
I mentioned the rear coil correction before, I run the Teraflex Speed bump kit which will move the top of the coil to the top of the arch in the frame and will help to soften the hit of you like to move a little quicker like I do.
I am sure I am forgetting a thing of 2 but basically it will depend a lot on where you travel.Untitled.png13 Camp Crawl Photo Brad Morris.jpeg

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Also I know it doesn't look like a typical "overland" vehicle but in these pictures it has 2 sleeping accomodations, tarps for poor weather, tools and spares for myself and a clue others, food, water, and en extra tank of gas.

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

I've had my 02 TJ Sport for 19 years and she's been through the ringer with all the changes I've made to the suspension over the years. Currently at 2.5 with 31's. This is perfect for my application. Off road, I can go anywhere I want and on blacktop I can cruise at 80 no worries. Here in N GA you spend more time on paved getting to the woods than actually running on dirt so I need a balance between off and on road. Could be different in your part of the world.

NCGRIZ

Rank I

Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
I've had my 02 TJ Sport for 19 years and she's been through the ringer with all the changes I've made to the suspension over the years. Currently at 2.5 with 31's. This is perfect for my application. Off road, I can go anywhere I want and on blacktop I can cruise at 80 no worries. Here in N GA you spend more time on paved getting to the woods than actually running on dirt so I need a balance between off and on road. Could be different in your part of the world.
I have a 2001 TJ and run 31's as well. I have no plans to crawl over anything but enjoy the back roads. I am in the process of looking at new springs and shocks as well. After 20 years it needs it. Would love to level it out too.

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Awesome, sounds like you have had yours since it was a baby like me. I don't do the rock stuff but I do a ton of dispersed camping. I currently have the rough country 2.5 full lift kit installed on 31's and it's more than enough for me to get down rutted forrest service roads. If I run into something that makes me pucker I can just turn around my little TJ and head the other way. Love having the short wheel base.

Reactions: NCGRIZ