Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Signal is stronger in the direction with the most metal mass.
Antenna on driver side rear corner, signal will be skewed to the passenger front.
Yes, thats what I meant. They discuss this some in the Marine Corps radio guide, also.

wsquared

Rank 0

Traveler I

So Im guessing, after doing some more reading, that the corner mounts and Comet mounts give a ground plane effect in some or most directions, depending on the mounting locations, but not in all directions. Would not be apparent in close distance comms. Would give directional sensitivities as the distances lengthened.
Yes - that is very much my experience. Having my 2 meter/70 cm mount on my tailgate (the only place where it is protected from damage from tree limbs and the like) provides shockingly good signal in some directions, and moderately good in other directions. When trying to get into a repeater, I've been able to cover as much as 78 miles (as the crow flies) if the terrain is on my side. Other times I'm finding maybe half that performance.

Reactions: KC2BUN

Enthusiast I

Burlington, Vermont
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Hyde
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1DGT
i used to have my Comet antenna on the passenger side lip of my hood with a Motorola NMO lip mount but it hit everything so i switched it to the drivers side of the hood but still doesn't work as well as it did when i had it on the center of the trunk of my old Crown Victoria police car