Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I found a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 160k miles for sale a couple hours from me. It was incredibly cheap due to the massive dent down the driver side. I waited a couple months and watched the price drop lower and lower till I couldn’t help myself and went and picked it up. She has a few issues but overall has been really well put together. She came with 265/75/16 Duratracs with barely a season left in them so after the winter I took them off and put on a new set of 265/75/16 General Grabber ATX’s and have been pleased so far.

Reactions: {Nate10920}

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

The downside to this year is because of the three door system I cant put a roof rack on. Its a hard tonneau cover on the back right now but I am leaning towards either installing a metal cage on the back or getting a topper. It has enough room for my military foot lockers but would prefer more space for my bike and other gear. I also have a set of Orcish Recovery Traction Boards that i picked up from Amazon that i have to figure out where to mount. They've worked well so far and seem to be holding up from the abuse I've put them through so far.

Here\s the link for the boards:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You modernized it with the phone mount and Gaia GPS mounts already. Plus the badge makes it capable. :)

On my 02 Silverado I have a Yakima roof rack which clips to the top. No drilling required.

AC8924CE-2771-4F2A-8686-2A3FE19818C0.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Where did you clip in on the driver side? Which clips/tower did you use?
I used the Yakima Q109 Clips

With the Q Towers

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My Silverado is the three door style. The driver side is just one door while the passenger side is a suicide door.
Oh sorry that's what I thought you meant by suicide door. Yes main doors or normal while passenger doors are suicide doors.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

My Silverado is the three door style. The driver side is just one door while the passenger side is a suicide door.
Oh sorry that's what I thought you meant by suicide door. Yes main doors or normal while passenger doors are suicide doors.
Haha I apologize for the confusion. I’ll check them out though.

Reactions: RoarinRow

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I used the Yakima Q109 Clips

With the Q Towers

Man, it looks like Q-109 clips for the Yakima rack are impossible to find. The ones that are available are $$$$

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
How does your truck ride with the 6 inch? Any wobble to it?
No wobble that I'm aware of. I had wobble with some old Duratrac tires, it was scary. With the lift I had to replace those tires so I ended with Toyo Open Country A/T II. No wobble tire-wise. My 2500hd is heavy to begin with and the Pro Comp suspension took bumps very well, but not intending her to be a rock crawler by any means. I went with 6" lift because the 45-gallon tank that previous owner installed hangs lower that stock tank (at least it looks that way). I wanted to be able to clear it over most obstacles if/when possible.

Reactions: FJ Montana

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Man, it looks like Q-109 clips for the Yakima rack are impossible to find. The ones that are available are $$$$
I don't know what other sites have it, but at least on Amazon it looks like the price is somewhat discounted?