Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Started working on electrical and dash. Pedals from 80 series are in. Needed a bit of mods. It’s all good (I think…)

got support from iH8mud on the puzzle of routing the harness and all the brackets. I was so excited about taking all apart that did not take enough photos. Also the wire loom is from a Euro model because the original was toast.

IMG_2543.jpegIMG_2529.jpeg

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Lord I love a Troopy... and it's awesome to see it rebuilt with such attention to detail and planning. exactly what I would be doing if I had the funds/opportunity/time. I hope one day I can drool over it in person! but even if not, Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Ob1

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Lord I love a Troopy... and it's awesome to see it rebuilt with such attention to detail and planning. exactly what I would be doing if I had the funds/opportunity/time. I hope one day I can drool over it in person! but even if not, Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words. I am curious how it will be overall compared t our 80 expedition build. I hope to be done by end of year.

Reactions: Ebbs

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
So some bad new and some good news. I am pulling the drivetrain out and swapping the engine.

I just came across a 1HDFT that a good friend sold me. Less than 100k miles. Could not resist. Would be nice to have both 80 and the troopy with the same engine. I know it's a bit insane, but none of us is really normal people...

First photo is the 1HDT that is coming out.

IMG_8646.JPGtempImageWpL5ev.pngtempImage1KQrAu.pngtempImagen0OeWB.png

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
I'm a little underinformed on the HD series of engines, but does the 1HD-FT mean that it has a more optimal valve and combustion chamber configuration for economy?
Kinda like how the 5VZ-FE means that it's the fifth generation VZ engine with EFI and economy valve/combustion chamber configuration?
Does that make it a better get than the 1HD-T because it's a revised and modernized design?

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hey Sam,

The 1HDFT (FT) engine is the last mechanical engine Toyota built. It’s from the 1Hx family. 4.2 liter 6 cyl. It’s a direct injection 24 valves. It runs cooler and smoother and has more power then the 1HZ (no turbo) and 1HDT. The next one in the family is the 1HDFTE that has electronic control.

Reactions: Wildcat-01

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
Hey Sam,

The 1HDFT (FT) engine is the last mechanical engine Toyota built. It’s from the 1Hx family. 4.2 liter 6 cyl. It’s a direct injection 24 valves. It runs cooler and smoother then the 1HZ (no turbo) and 1HDT.
Nice. So more grunt, mechanical FI, better cooling, no precups to drop. Sounds like a solid deal to me. Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't spent much time around the non IDI engines.

Reactions: Ob1

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
This weekend I spent doing little things. I’ll change some connectors to Deutsch. I’m missing the mating connectors to some harnesses and have unlimited supply of all Deutsch products. Also a $1500 crisper that kept after a project ended.

I can’t find the two hoses that come out of the evaporator in the firewall. We are machining the nuts and tubes that fit there and TIG weld it to crimp fittings.

I am also missing the harness that connects to the two connectors in the evaporator and the AC controller. I have an after market evaporator and debating to use it.

One of the spider bearings in the steering wheel is ‘loose’ so I have to deal with that. But then again… I asked for this project.

Front photo, it looks like a pirate with one headlight.

IMG_2831.jpegIMG_2833.jpegIMG_2836.jpegIMG_2838.jpegIMG_2839.jpeg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Incredible build Ofer! Is the wife having input or is this all you?

Looking great!

Jim

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Incredible build Ofer! Is the wife having input or is this all you?

Looking great!

Jim
Hey Jim,

thanks. Tali will have input once the body is driving and we start the build in the back.
I figured when all said and done it will cost as much as a brand new Bronco or Jeep. But, I need to keep busy, otherwise probably be robbing banks (for excitement!).

today I finished making and installing the fire wall brake lines. Loaded brake oil and bled the lines. 2 minor leaks. They are fixed and I think at this point I can stop.

IMG_2868.jpeg