• HTML tutorial

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

The thread title has changed! A omen of the future

Big Ellie is getting a face lift (body swap). My thoughts, I'm building a skoolie for me n the family to go camping in but it won't be 4x4 / overland capable, however that leaves my sudo camper 4x4 van being rather superfluous. With 4 kiddos I can't fit them all in the van as-is nor can I tow a jeep behind the skoolie since it won't hold 4 kids either.

My solution? Go full circle back to a passenger van by body swapping with a 1988 Ford Econoline Club Wagon!
KIMG0271.JPG

With my more modern '06 chassis as I built it I can already flat tow her, so that's checked. I plan on installing a set of Aerostar bench seats (which can fold flat into a bed) which will give me seating for 5 kiddos in the rear with ample storage and Dog space, so that's checked. I've also already taken preliminary measurements of the body mounts and they're identical so far, so that's checked.

Now it's just up to me to combine the two vans into one Frankenvan! The plan is to make it more offroad capable, keep it capable of overlanding by itself, and suitable to flat tow behind the school bus RV thing. Oh, and now Ellie will have the classic good looks of my old Wagoneer ;)

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Got the Aerostar seats mocked up. They need to be reupholstered but I'm going to work on the brackets first since that should be an easy task.
KIMG0280.JPG KIMG0282.JPG
KIMG0283.JPG

Where I need to make adapt seat brackets for these Aerostar benches lines up okay with the factory bolt locations, better that they did with the 2006 body anyway. The locking lugs will need to be just on the outside of each bolt set and 8 inches back (or forward for the rear).
KIMG0287.JPG KIMG0288.JPG
KIMG0289.JPG
After doing a little Cardboard Aided Design I've settled on a basic layout I'm happy with and will start translating this into an actual CAD file to punch out of the plasma table. In any case I will be able to make 4 identical brackets that can bolt to any one spot. How they'll end up will allow plenty of leg room for the first bench and about 2 ft of storage in the rear even when in bed mode.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

What took weeks to build took less than an hour and a half to dismantle...
KIMG0291.JPG

Things will start getting real once I have her in a bay with a lift and am removing components actually required to drive it, but its a start

Reactions: MazeVX

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So because I'm fickle and can't make up my mind, I also am having a hard time getting to grips pulling apart two perfectly functional vans, I may just build out the 1988 as a 4x4 van and redo the interior of Big Ellie.

If that happens the 1988 will get her own build thread and I'll continue documenting the interior redo of the '06 here. But I'm open to comments or suggestions, if anyone has advice. My Hightop van is build out mechanically the exact way I want her (save for a diesel engine) and is low mileage, she'd make a great base for a 4x4 1988 body style van.
On the other hand, both are working and driving, and the 1988 has a solid frame and no body-rust, she'd also be a prime candidate for a rebuild and 4x4 conversion (though I'd probably keep the auto and go with a TTB Dana 50 this time around)

My main trepidation with the body swap, besides the fact both are running fine, is setting up a stand-alone ECU for the 5.4 modular engine so I can keep the 1988 wiring as simple as possible (wiring is not my strong suite). If anyone knows any possible solutions there, I'm all ears.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
So because I'm fickle and can't make up my mind, I also am having a hard time getting to grips pulling apart two perfectly functional vans, I may just build out the 1988 as a 4x4 van and redo the interior of Big Ellie.

If that happens the 1988 will get her own build thread and I'll continue documenting the interior redo of the '06 here. But I'm open to comments or suggestions, if anyone has advice. My Hightop van is build out mechanically the exact way I want her (save for a diesel engine) and is low mileage, she'd make a great base for a 4x4 1988 body style van.
On the other hand, both are working and driving, and the 1988 has a solid frame and no body-rust, she'd also be a prime candidate for a rebuild and 4x4 conversion (though I'd probably keep the auto and go with a TTB Dana 50 this time around)

My main trepidation with the body swap, besides the fact both are running fine, is setting up a stand-alone ECU for the 5.4 modular engine so I can keep the 1988 wiring as simple as possible (wiring is not my strong suite). If anyone knows any possible solutions there, I'm all ears.
I like the idea of building out the 88 as a separate build. I would try to hit up a throw-back vibe with it!

Blanch09

Rank I

Contributor III

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Yunk
Member #

The tubes are all bent and the brackets made, I just need to weld things together and the van will have bolt on rock sliders.

I'm using polyurethane bushings I had left over from a different build for the frame side connection points. I also have some diamond plate I'll use to make some side steps.
The dual battery box will also be be attached to these rock rails, just above them and between the body panel and the frame rail.
Is this a kit? I have a 2004 e350 Quigley I purchased last year that I am still fixing up the rusty parts. Would love to collaborate on your build...

Blanch09

Rank I

Contributor III

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Yunk
Member #

Finally finished bending and welding the rock rails. Still need to attach them to the Van, hopefully I can get that done this weekend.
View attachment 91408
As they are, I like them, but I might add some diamond grating to the top of them to make a proper stepping surface.

View attachment 91409

We also installed the swivel seats, these things really opened up the interior!
View attachment 91410
Where did you get your swivels? My research showed a ton of options but I feel like it could be hit or miss.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Is this a kit? I have a 2004 e350 Quigley I purchased last year that I am still fixing up the rusty parts. Would love to collaborate on your build...
Where did you get your swivels? My research showed a ton of options but I feel like it could be hit or miss.
The 4x4 was a weld on kit made by UJOINT 4x4, very well made and the only leaf-spring kit out there but you do need some fab skills in order to install it. The rock sliders I bent and welded up myself but I ended up ditching the poly mounts and just welded them directly to the frame at 4 locations per side. I don't regret making it weld-on vs bolt-on, I figured it's no biggie if they're dented up and it's unlikely I'd do so to such an extent that they'd need to be replaced.
That said, I don't know of any company that makes a true rock slider for these vans, it's something you'll either have to make yourself or have a welder make for you.

As for the swivels, they were a weld-on hinge from EMS Offroad: Tire Carrier Hinge
I bent and fabricated the rest of the tire carrier, basket and bumper.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Made my choice, goin full bore into the body swap. I also have another interesting plan while the frame is out for me to work on, details to come

For now disassembly continues. Goin a little slow due to various reasons, to include the whole family gettin sick, but I'm hoping I can have her in the shop next weekend to pull off the body. So far the bumper swing outs and the rear gas tank are removed, among some smaller things:
KIMG0376.JPG KIMG0381.JPG

She's lookin a little naked now... BUT I think the project will turn out great. If anyone is interested in an econoline high-top, feel free to give me a shout

• Wow
Reactions: GLOCKer

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

The deed is done, no turning back now...
KIMG0397.JPG KIMG0404.JPG

Going to have to organize my garage a bit to be able to work in there, but I should have enough room. I plan on putting all four wheels on dollies to help move the chassis around as needed. There are some areas on the chassis (rock rails, shock towers, etc) that now that I have better access to I want to wire brush clean and re-weld.
KIMG0406.JPG KIMG0408.JPG

I'm thinkin I might remove the coil-buckets turned shock-towers and redo them. The UJOINT kit just has you weld in a bracket for a new shock location, I want to put in larger shocks up front necessitating the connection be 4" higher than it is. That and removing the track bar, which I view as useless in a leaf sprung application, should drastically increase my up-travel and hopefully keep or increase down-travel.
I may also try and figure out how to do sway-bar disconnects with the super-duty style axle (where the sway-bar is on the axle not on the frame) but that may be later on down the road.

• Wow
Reactions: loper and GLOCKer

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Well, it arrived...
KIMG0412.JPG KIMG0411.JPG

I'd be way more excited but I paid the junkyard for a Turbo om606, they even sent pictures that are clearly different than the engine here, and instead I've got a n/a om606. I've got to decide now if I build and try to turbo an engine with weaker rods and springs or fight with the junkyard to get the proper engine. Supposedly this one was low mileage but now I'm doubting even that.

That said, revealed be my other interesting plan, merc diesel swap. I was planning a modded om603 mechanical pump, Holset HX30 turbo, and an om648 oil pan. Might not be able to build up to the same hp & torque of the v8 with a n/a engine but hopefully she'll still double my MPGs :)

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Also if it were me... I'd be on that junkyard like "stink on sh*t! Not only is "bait & switch" illegal, it is bad behavior!

Where in California are you located?
Trust me, I'm angry enough. But I'm not located in CA and unfortunately the junkyard is, distance won't be my friend in getting this fixed. They supposedly specialize in European car parts and had a few of these motors.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Good news story today actually. Got a hold of the wrecking yard and the guy I've been working with checked back in their stock and confirmed they loaded up and sent the wrong engine. He seemed to take responsibility for it and said he'd schedule it for shipping asap and just asked I had the wrong engine crated back up and ready for the shipper once they arrive. Can't ask for fairer than that

It's a further weeks delay but at least they're making it right and it's no further headache on my part. I'll update once the proper engine arrives, at the very least I can take some measurements off of the n/a om606 while it's still here.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Good news story today actually. Got a hold of the wrecking yard and the guy I've been working with checked back in their stock and confirmed they loaded up and sent the wrong engine. He seemed to take responsibility for it and said he'd schedule it for shipping asap and just asked I had the wrong engine crated back up and ready for the shipper once they arrive. Can't ask for fairer than that

It's a further weeks delay but at least they're making it right and it's no further headache on my part. I'll update once the proper engine arrives, at the very least I can take some measurements off of the n/a om606 while it's still here.
In a world were it seems people no longer take responsibility for their f--- ups, it's refreshing to hear that they're going to take care of it and get you the motor you ordered!

Reactions: Built By Fluffy

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Annoying engine update: apparently the "turbo" engine the parts yard was trying to source, he was sent images of one engine and then a NA engine showed up at his shop. It took a bit of self restraint not to reply "I can relate" to the owner over the phone...

Long story short, I'm getting a refund. But I got this news 4 days after I sold the perfectly low mileage v8 that was already in the chassis. I'm past the point of no return, so now I need to source an engine. I'm going to open up my options a bit to basically any straight six that's easy to adapt to my ZF-5 manual, we'll see what I can source

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

IT"S HERE!!!
KIMG0588.JPG KIMG0589.JPG

Cost me an extra $1100 but finally it is the correct, actually TURBO, diesel engine! Working with Montoya's Auto Wrecking was an absolute nightmare but at least it's over.

They sent me video of the engine running before sending and the dash picture showed it had 140,000 miles on. Odd thing tho is this came out of an E300TD Wagon, which I didn't think the wagons were offered in the US with the om60X series of diesels.
In any case I have it up on the engine stand. One thing I'm really loving about these Merc diesel engines is that they have engine lift tabs like the bigger industrial diesels. My wife's Sprinter has the same on it's engine and it makes it very easy to set up a lift. I punched out a quick engine hoist bracket since I had the steel and got her plugged up and ready for a good power washing.
I have a rear sump already from a local-ish Mercedes engine parts supplier (seems he specializes in rebuilding the injectors, might need to pick some up) and the adapter for my ZF-5 manual comes in next week. Hopefully I'll have it bolted in the frame by next weekend!

I also have been working on the new shock towers. I had to redo the design a bit after the first iteration I made on the plasma table but I think I have a winning design now. It should provide me with a further 3" of up travel (after deleting the track bar) and 2" in down travel. I may have to bang out or cut the inner fender well but I think it'll be worth it.
KIMG0592.JPG

The only other thing I want to figure out is how to make or redesign the Ford sway bar for quick disconnects. You can kindof see in the pic above that the sway bar is located on the axle itself and the links go up to the frame. If I did add disconnects as is then the links and bar would be sitting on the travelling axle and I'd have to figure out some way to keep it tucked up and out of the way.

Reactions: GLOCKer and loper