'14 JKU Overhaul

• HTML tutorial

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

As our Jeep sneaks up on 50,000 miles we felt it was time to start hitting those items that tend to have wear issues. The intention is to change out the factory items and replace them with upgraded, aftermarket, items to reduce the possibility of breakage in the middle of nowhere and provide more durability. The first round involved replacing the weak drag link that came with our lift kit years ago, replacing the front lower control arms with upgraded adjustable arms to fix some alignment issues and bump steer issues, and replacing the worn sway bar links. All the parts were supplied by Teraflex (they have been great at getting us what we needed). At the same time we replaced the front driveshaft with a 1310 shaft from Adams Driveshafts. We knew the shaft would need replacing due to us running a 3-inch lift but were surprised the rear CV had gone with only 45,000 on it. Shortly we will be contacting Teraflex again to address the tie rod and tie rod ends as well as ball joints.

After testing and experimenting with different setups and gear over the years, we set our minds on the direction we want to go with overlanding and the gear we want to run. To accomplish this we have a separate phase of our overhaul and that is centered on gearing out the Jeep. The first mod was to get with Kargo Master Safari for a Congo Pro rack, cat walk, door hing steps on the front doors, and a Stealth platform. We then picked up an ARB Simpson III roof top tent. While outfitting the outside of the Jeep we picked up an Engel 35l fridge and tested it on a couple trips. Why we waited so long to get one was beyond me.

The main focus of our overhaul, and the main focus of this thread, is in the cargo area of our Jeep. The intention of the overhaul is to get things organized and user-friendly, and to reduce weight or try to move it around. Weight has become a big issue since adding the rack and RTT. All of our modifications are limited to the cargo area since we need the back seat to stay usable for day-to-day use and since the dog goes with us on trips (she stretches out on the back seat and sleeps while we are driving).

The first step started yesterday with removal of everything in the back of the Jeep leaving a massive pile of stuff on the garage floor. We then started pulling interior panels from the cargo area before the rain started ending our day. The interior panels are coming out to make room for the kitchen modifications we want to make. The kitchen we have in the Jeep I made myself and we have gone through several versions over the last couple years to figure out what works and what doesn’t before building the final version. Replacing the panels with panels I am making will allow us to include drawers to store gear we presently have in molle bags hanging from the cargo net.

I will be posting as much information as I can remember so others can see what we are doing and how we go about it.

DSCF6510.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG View attachment 37954

Attachments

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

We weren't planning any engine modifications. The '14 has the 3.6l which a good strong engine and we've had no issues with power yet. Also, we are pulling 19-20 mpg on our trips, depending on load and roads, and can't complain about that. I ran the Jeep for a couple weeks with the RTT mounted and the fridge and kitchen in the back and didn't notice any big difference in mileage. Of course, this was in traffic with only about 10 minutes each trip at 65-7o. The Jeep gets it's best mileage at 55-60 and I don't think the RTT is going to catch enough wind at that speed to have a big effect on mileage.

The only performance mod we have talked about is possibly re-gearing. With the 35's and the added weight gearing up may help but I am worried about it effecting our mileage. Also, if we do it will include lockers and an aftermarket 44 front axle. At the time the cost out weighs the benefits.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

yes, a gear change will no doubt help in the future, just don't go too tall. My son swapped to 5.13 gears, and his mpg dropped to 13-14. We swapped in a 5.7 last July, and mileage increased to almost 15 mpg with 37" tires. I have a 2014 Rubicon with 4.10 gears stock, have run 35's since day 1, and get 16-17. I can pull my 14 foot enclosed (3500 pounds) with only a little trouble on steep hills, and pull the Smittybilt trailer (2000 pounds) without any trouble.

Reactions: RescueRangers

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

We usually recommend 4.56 gears on a 2012+ JK/JKU with 35" tires. You can step up to 4.88 gears if you run around in high elevations or tow a heavy/wind sock trailer.

Reactions: professorkx

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

yes, a gear change will no doubt help in the future, just don't go too tall. My son swapped to 5.13 gears, and his mpg dropped to 13-14. We swapped in a 5.7 last July, and mileage increased to almost 15 mpg with 37" tires. I have a 2014 Rubicon with 4.10 gears stock, have run 35's since day 1, and get 16-17. I can pull my 14 foot enclosed (3500 pounds) with only a little trouble on steep hills, and pull the Smittybilt trailer (2000 pounds) without any trouble.
I think the 4.10 would be the tallest I would go. Since we don't have issues right now and only see a mild lag when loaded during a trip I don't see it as a priority right now. Once we get everything done that we are planning we will see how things go. We have a trip planned for May and will see how he preforms then.

We had been trying to figure out how we wanted to evolve our style of overlanding, mainly do we want to invest in a trailer or go the Jeep only route with a RTT. We decided to build out the Jeep with the RTT so we will not have the towing issue. Wind drag will only be the RTT and roof top storage box. The Smittybilt trailer, as well as the CVT trailer, were on our list of possible trailers. Its our overland style that pushed us to Jeep only but loved the idea of just hooking up and going.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Update: I never said this was going to be a quick project. Got the left upper and side panels done. There is a lot of custom fitting because Jeep doesn't like flat panels on the inside of the Jeep. I already started the next step which is making the drawer for the front of the panel.

DSCF6520.JPG

bluefalconjku

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wake Forest NC
Member #

Like the start of the rear cargo area, I have the same intensions next spring. Curious, what dimension and wood are you using for the back, Ive been looking at a Baltic birch but haven't decided on a thickness as of yet, don't want to make the thing too heavy.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

1/2 inch Birch plywood. Some of the bracing inside I am using 3/4 Pine so I have a good side grain to side grain glue joint. With the plywood I would have an end grain joint which is not as strong.

bluefalconjku

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wake Forest NC
Member #

nice, I'm thinking of using the 1/2 inch for the drawers and 3/4 inch for the top with vertical braces from the top to base in 3/4 inch as well just so I can stack other items on afterward. I'm new to the forum but I'm gonna start a build thread to post up some of the things I have done thus far.