12v Basics | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

12v Basics

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Advocate III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
This is the way.

I've not installed my DC-DC charger yet. I'm not going to bother with solar in my rig. I'll save that for the trailer.

I'd rather use a lifepo4 battery in the rig, but may end up going agm just to save cost. At least to start.

HYRYSC

Rank III
Adventure

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD0YIN
This is the way.

I've not installed my DC-DC charger yet. I'm not going to bother with solar in my rig. I'll save that for the trailer.

I'd rather use a lifepo4 battery in the rig, but may end up going agm just to save cost. At least to start.
LifePo4 is awesome technology and I have a solar generator (Bluetti EB70) that uses that technology. I see that you are in Idaho, so one thing that you will need to consider (and one reason that I have decided to use a 2nd battery setup in addition to the LifePo) is that they don't react well to being charged with the internal temp is below freezing. From what I have read it will basically brick your battery. There are some new ones that are coming out that reduce the input charge down to a level that they will tolerate when the temperature is low so that is good.

I think that I will relegate my EB70 to a role as backup and remote camp power and use my 2nd AGM battery as main vehicle power for refrigerator, lights etc while I am at camp.

Reactions: reaver

K12

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Enthusiast III

Middleton, Canyon County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
cold weather can brick the battery and a lot of technology is out to prevent this. battle born batteries have a heated battery to prevent low temperatures and keep batteries warm enough to be able to charge at a full rate. they also have an amazing warranty and customer service from everyone I know who has ordered anything from them.

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Advocate III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
LifePo4 is awesome technology and I have a solar generator (Bluetti EB70) that uses that technology. I see that you are in Idaho, so one thing that you will need to consider (and one reason that I have decided to use a 2nd battery setup in addition to the LifePo) is that they don't react well to being charged with the internal temp is below freezing. From what I have read it will basically brick your battery. There are some new ones that are coming out that reduce the input charge down to a level that they will tolerate when the temperature is low so that is good.

I think that I will relegate my EB70 to a role as backup and remote camp power and use my 2nd AGM battery as main vehicle power for refrigerator, lights etc while I am at camp.
I'm well aware of the cold charging limitations of lifepo4 batteries. That's part of the reason I'm contemplating going agm as well. While I love the idea of lifepo4, and the charging cycles, to get a good quality 50ah lifepo4 battery (what I want inside the truck), I'm looking at 600-750 bucks. I can get a 100ah agm for 200. Yes, it's heavier, but that's not a huge deal for me. So, for my needs, the cost/performance ratio just isn't there yet.

jmcgilroy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Central California, CA, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Callahan
Ham Callsign
KJ6KAV
I'd like to add a second battery in my 2019 Silverado (just because there's room and a second battery tray already there). I intended to just use a battery isolator and an AGM deep cycle for the "house" battery. Now I read about "smart alternators" and I'm befuddled and unsure if this will work.

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Advocate III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'd like to add a second battery in my 2019 Silverado (just because there's room and a second battery tray already there). I intended to just use a battery isolator and an AGM deep cycle for the "house" battery. Now I read about "smart alternators" and I'm befuddled and unsure if this will work.
It will not. The reason why is because the computer is constantly adjusting the voltage to maintain the required systems, and improve fuel economy and reduce engine load.

Standard alternators attempt to maintain a constant voltage, and can reasonably charge an AGM or deep cycle battery.

For charging with smart alternators, you need to use a DC-DC charger. You can pick up a renogy 20a charger for 120.not really that much more than a cheap isolator system.

jmcgilroy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Callahan
Ham Callsign
KJ6KAV
It will not. The reason why is because the computer is constantly adjusting the voltage to maintain the required systems, and improve fuel economy and reduce engine load.

Standard alternators attempt to maintain a constant voltage, and can reasonably charge an AGM or deep cycle battery.

For charging with smart alternators, you need to use a DC-DC charger. You can pick up a renogy 20a charger for 120.not really that much more than a cheap isolator system.
Thanks....my education continues....

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Advocate III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, you don't want debris blocking the vent fan, as it could overheat and burn up the electronics, but I would refer to the manual of whatever dc charger you buy.

The advantage to dc chargers though, is that you can run a smaller fused line to the charger. I have a 20a dc charger. I'm going to use my existing 4ga wires to hook it up, but easily could swap it for 8 gauge due to it only pulling 25 or so amps at the battery.

jmcgilroy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Callahan
Ham Callsign
KJ6KAV
OK, thanks guys. Looking at options now. I understand there are brands with a solar charge controller and MPPT input...if I'm going to spend money, I might as well do it right.

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Advocate III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Redarc, and renogy have really good ones. Victron is also really good, but I think each module is separate.

I'm planning on running this in my trailer once it's built.

This is what I have for my Xterra

leeloo

Rank V

Member III

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Anyone with thoughts on mounting these DC-DC chargers inside the engine compartment? Heat issues?
Redarc is rated for use in the engine bay. Some others are not. At the very least, even for the ones rated for engine bay use, they will be less efficient in heat, so might a a bit longer to get a full charge.
Just something to be aware.