Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

My old rig was sent off to a new owner. I partially had a build thread here. But here she was:

She was getting old, and I've really been wanting a single rear wheel box truck. They make a 10ft version, and a 12ft. I went for the 12ft for the extra room. And I still think I can go anywhere my old rig could.

The box truck I purchased is a 2014 Ford E-350 with 140k miles. I paid $17k for it, and it used to be a FedEx truck.

Sales photos:

Driving home. It was a 10hr drive from Chicago to NC.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

It doesn't have cruise control, and the stock radio blows. I ordered everything to make it have cruise.

The first thing I did was add a new head unit.

Alpine iLX-407 with Apple CarPlay. I added a USB outlet for the CarPlay in a available spot on the dash. It looks Factory!

Next thing I did was paint the wheels...

Then I had old running boards from the old van. I cut the pass side down to match the driver's side:

Next up was maintenance. On the way home I was getting a squeaking sound, so I replaced the pulleys and belt. New air filter, PCV, and oil change.

Air filter hasn't been changed in a while.....

When I saw the air filter date, I realized I needed to make sure that I go through everything. I sent the oil off for analysis, and it came back with mixed reviews. I'm not gonna jump the gun on that. I'm gonna wait until the next one to see what's really going on with it.

I am getting a check engine light for code FORD P0420. Which is catalytic converter issues. I replaced the rear O2 sensor, reset the code, and it still showed up again.

I am going to replace the front sensor, and probably will replace the catalytic converter anyway. I'm also going to change the plugs and put new coils on.

Reactions: MazeVX and Padams7

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Onto the RV conversion....

With my old van, I had a roof top AC. Hated it. Decided to go with a mini split:

I'm starting on the roof rack first. I'm planning on 800w of solar, skylight, 80/20 roof rack, and all the mounts for the weBoost RV booster, Wifi booster, and HAM radio antenna.

Solar panels are already here, so is the weBoost. Need to order a few things and then I'll put everything together.

The RV section of the rig will have a shower / toilet, elevator bed, 1100ah LifePo4 battery bank, 3000w inverter/charger, RV type tankless water heater with 30 gallon tank, etc...

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Looks like a fun project man! Can’t wait to see your progress!

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I'm definitely interested to see this one! Do you plan on keeping the roll up door? I would hate to get locked in there by some hooligan. Will you add a door between the cab and box? Keep up the good work and the pictures.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Will love to see where you go with this! Me.. I'd have the hardest time not cutting off the top and making a pop top out of it.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

My old rig was sent off to a new owner. I partially had a build thread here. But here she was:

She was getting old, and I've really been wanting a single rear wheel box truck. They make a 10ft version, and a 12ft. I went for the 12ft for the extra room. And I still think I can go anywhere my old rig could.

The box truck I purchased is a 2014 Ford E-350 with 140k miles. I paid $17k for it, and it used to be a FedEx truck.

Sales photos:

Driving home. It was a 10hr drive from Chicago to NC.

Definitely a nice place to start.
I agree, I love the single wheel skinny box trucks.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

The rear roll up door will go away. I will be adding a RV side door. On the back wall will have the spare tire, mini split condenser and a truck box.

Been chipping away at it. I've been having issues with getting the old van to the new owner....

Here is the roof rack as it sits:
I didn't realize how bad the wind noise was going to be in it's current setup, but it's BAD.

The front 2 panels will be pushed back and make room for a roof rack faring.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Just a little something extra to add....

The box truck has a Dana 70 rear axle. A locker for that axle is around $1500. Add gears, and then when I convert it to 4WD, wheel spacers, PLUS a master diff rebuild kit, etc, etc... Not a cheap endeavor.

BUT, I've priced Sterling axles (05-07) around me and they're $450. Plus a 2011+ OEM e locker, $500, and all the extras, I'm still under the price of just the locker for the Dana 70.

And to add to all this, my father in law gave me a 1983 Jeep CJ7 that he had for Christmas! Lots of projects lined up.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

congrats dude! that’s awesome! what are your plans with the jeep?
Thanks!

Right now, my main goal will be to get it running again. It's been sitting 5-6 years. Fix everything that needs fixing, new tires, and just drive it.

My wife drove this Jeep when she was in college, and she is SUPER pumped about us getting it. So I think it will probably be more of what she wants done to it more than me. We just wanna be able to ride some forest roads, light trails, and scoot around town with it.

Reactions: snomonster

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

As mentioned before, my older 7.3 4WD van was "supposed" to be sold.

Long story short is, the transmission shop that was fixing it, didn't. I still have the van. It has 400k on the clock and getting rusty. It also has LOTS of goodies on it, that I think I'm going to keep.

Like, OBA system, lockers, sPod system, bitchin stereo system, the entire 4wd drivetrain, etc....

I'm going to pull everything off of it, and put it on the new rig.

I also added to the new box truck, HAM / GMRS / and CB radio.

Chicken lights!

Oh yea, and a RV door:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
The rear roll up door will go away. I will be adding a RV side door. On the back wall will have the spare tire, mini split condenser and a truck box.

Been chipping away at it. I've been having issues with getting the old van to the new owner....

Here is the roof rack as it sits:
I didn't realize how bad the wind noise was going to be in it's current setup, but it's BAD.

The front 2 panels will be pushed back and make room for a roof rack faring.

Those are great lights you used. I got them for my camper build. Heavy duty for sure.
Outstanding build. Congrats and scribed to see more.
Zim

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Thanks!

Right now, my main goal will be to get it running again. It's been sitting 5-6 years. Fix everything that needs fixing, new tires, and just drive it.

My wife drove this Jeep when she was in college, and she is SUPER pumped about us getting it. So I think it will probably be more of what she wants done to it more than me. We just wanna be able to ride some forest roads, light trails, and scoot around town with it.
My son an d I built an 80' for him to drive to HS. The best thing we did was to source an injected 4.0L motor with the NV3500 standard for it.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Those are great lights you used. I got them for my camper build. Heavy duty for sure.
Outstanding build. Congrats and scribed to see more.
Zim
Thanks! I have more videos in the pipeline, just waiting on finishing a few things first.

My son an d I built an 80' for him to drive to HS. The best thing we did was to source an injected 4.0L motor with the NV3500 standard for it.
That's my plan too! Gonna be a fun rig to fart around with. Not gonna go crazy with it, just wanna be able to do some forest road stuff.

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Thanks! I have more videos in the pipeline, just waiting on finishing a few things first.

That's my plan too! Gonna be a fun rig to fart around with. Not gonna go crazy with it, just wanna be able to do some forest road stuff.
Our Jeep was the same looking one. Black with the Laredo trim on it. You will be amazed at how well the grill will come back with some Flitz on it or some toothpaste and some polish.

Love the box van too. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Reactions: CaptainBuilt

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Our Jeep was the same looking one. Black with the Laredo trim on it. You will be amazed at how well the grill will come back with some Flitz on it or some toothpaste and some polish.

Love the box van too. Can't wait to see where it goes.
Thanks!

I still haven't picked it up yet. Gotta finish some things up first. But I should have it in a couple months.

Last edited: