Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
11.11.0 Ironhorse Release (@Firemom @Magic Mike ) - Route Planning with Route Snapping
Overland Bound Members Mike and Deb aka Ironhorse Overland are full-time overlanders in their 4Runner. One of the must have features for Deb, and many overland travelers is route planning! Now we have it.

It wasn't enough to create just a route planner that snaps to the roads with multiple routing types, or to be able to change the color of your route for better visibility or organization, we also had to make routes shareable because Overland Bound is founded on community. Routes can also be exported as a GPX.

Release List:
Feature
Route Planning
Feature Route sharing
Feature Save/Delete a route
Feature Add "never sleep" option to settings
Improvement Pop Up when selecting "Off-Road" routing mode - first time
Improvement Route Planning Intro Tutorial Pop-up
Improvement
On Route Waypoint Edit, Show a Magnifying Glass
Improvement Route Planning: Ability to delete a waypoint that is in edit mode
Improvement Add waypoint numbers in route planner waypoints
Improvement Route line is under gpx tracks
Improvement Haptic vibrate on waypoint edit mode
Improvement Show waypoints on saved routes
Improvement Change Route banner color to blue
Improvement Edit Route Button
Improvement Disable share for quick saves
Improvement Share Route as GPX Button
Improvement Remove privacy for Routes - they are private by default
Improvement Privacy notification the first time a shared Route is opened by a user
Improvement Create "Delete Account" button in settings
Improvement Add Route Planning Icon to POI type
Improvement Filter Route location type client side to not show up in Add Location list
Improvement In the change color picker screen, change button text to “Change color”
Improvement Quick-Saves do not show saved trail color in Detail screen map
Improvement Clean up Map and GPX button spacing in POI location detail screens
Improvement Make the Route color swatch tappable to edit color
Improvement Allow app font icons to be used for information types
Improvement Disable (or hide) Reviews in Private Routes
TaskNew POI Location Type "Route"
Task Go Live: Marketing Website
Task Create Route Icon
Bug Bad Platform Redirect: Rally Point Announcement comments button
Bug w3w Lookup Crashing
Bug App is not "locking" conversations to replies on Rally Point invite conversations.
Bug Editing Rally Point Dates switches it to day of month rather than day of week.
Bug Dark mode mile and kilometer button font color
Bug Editing the start date of a rally point crashes the app iOS 15.5, Latest app ver
Bug fix default repeat mode when CREATING rally point
Bug Messages don't find user, event though they exist
Bug Sending message to user that is not found results in white screen
Bug Pasting a YouTube link hard crash in forums
Bug Opening the Member tab on the map crashes the app
Bug Tapping the Message Members button on the Member tab crashes app

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@Michael , Quite the list of updates and fixes on this release! See at least a few that I have been looking for, Thanks for listening to the peanut gallery:) and to all those that made this happen

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
@Michael
This is on android (maybe other platforms) but sattelite view on the map, esspecially for Idaho is no longer sattelite view but adventure view. I attached a picture of what it looks like. I much prefer sattelite view to plan trips in hopes of seeing possible camping area.

Attachments

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael
This is on android (maybe other platforms) but sattelite view on the map, esspecially for Idaho is no longer sattelite view but adventure view. I attached a picture of what it looks like. I much prefer sattelite view to plan trips in hopes of seeing possible camping area.
You are seeing the USFS 2016 layer I believe. Turn it off in the layers screen and see if that does it.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
@Michael
You are seeing the USFS 2016 layer I believe. Turn it off in the layers screen and see if that does it.
That does it... I didn't realize there where other filters on the different views.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Michael
It’s a setting… I had that too on my iPhone 13…under map layers turn off NFS 2016 (deselect the check mark) The picture tutorial below is backwards (starting off in satellite view). But shows the process.
693ED447-C3DE-4CE9-B56A-48D1B7D6186D.jpeg6AF4A4D8-A6FD-4E37-8B39-2DBC5754F81B.jpegE826A7FA-5CD3-470D-833A-A6F8B9447992.jpeg12ACD315-D9A4-4B69-A955-D398F6B0FB42.png

Last edited:

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
11.11.0 Ironhorse Release (@Firemom @Magic Mike ) - Route Planning with Route Snapping
Overland Bound Members Mike and Deb aka Ironhorse Overland are full-time overlanders in their 4Runner. One of the must have features for Deb, and many overland travelers is route planning! Now we have it.

It wasn't enough to create just a route planner that snaps to the roads with multiple routing types, or to be able to change the color of your route for better visibility or organization, we also had to make routes shareable because Overland Bound is founded on community. Routes can also be exported as a GPX.

Release List:
Feature
Route Planning
Feature Route sharing
Improvement
Improvement Privacy notification the first time a shared Route is opened by a user
Improvement Filter Route location type client side to not show up in Add Location list
Improvement In the change color picker screen, change button text to “Change color”
Task Create Route Icon
Bug w3w Lookup Crashing
Bug App is not "locking" conversations to replies on Rally Point invite conversations.
Bug Editing Rally Point Dates switches it to day of month rather than day of week.
Bug Editing the start date of a rally point crashes the app iOS 15.5, Latest app ver

Release List:
Feature
Route Planning
Feature Route sharing
Improvement
Task Create Route Icon
Bug w3w Lookup Crashing
Now for someone to do a tutorial start to finish on route planning.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The first time you use it, there should be a quick tutorial. Also, there is this: OB1 Route Planning
man you are an early riser.

When I tap on a trail nothing happens, long press = temporary pin. Im in plan mode, so unfortunately for me it isn't acting as is described in the guide you posted.

Also made sure to update in the App Store, using iPad OS.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: M Rose and Michael

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

When I tap on a trail nothing happens, long press = temporary pin. Im in plan mode, so unfortunately for me it isn't acting as is described in the guide you posted.

AHA, I had skipped the "To start route planning, on the map plan tab, and select the route planning icon highlighted in yellow in the figure to the right." and went to the numbered steps and so doh.

All the words Erich, ALL the words...words are important...time for coffee.

Reactions: Michael

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Trying it out some, looking at local trails the behavior is kind of interesting. Trying to get it to go on the trail is finicky...it likes hiking trails more than dirt roads in a couple instances...cant drag the line thats created so have to adjust the waypoint, then it reroutes down to the city again and goes the long way around staying off trail then picks another hiking trail. Will p[lay around with it some more and see, lots of time needed to try and understand the algorithm logic. Its different from Gaia planning. very cool update though! now that the foundation is laid I imagine it will quickly improve.

Reactions: M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Route creation on an iPad with a Magic Mouse works well and gives me near the experience that I am looking for; the one caveat is that I am not seeing how to zoom the map out with the mouse. I can zoom in by double clicking with the mouse but no form of gesturing, etc., allows me to zoom out (or zoom in via gesture). I mention this in case someone else tries it - once web planning is available I will likely not plan much on the device.

Kudos
- The magnifier that pops up when clicking/poking to move a waypoint is brilliant! Not only does it signal that you are now in "move mode" but it is also very helpful to get it in the right spot. Awesome!
- In a very quick look routing between points works well
- I am thrilled at how well this is working! This is very usable and I will be exploring it in more depth over the upcoming weeks/months! Kudos!!!

Nits
- I am unable to create a route point on or near a previously saved waypoint (temporary pin). Tried starting my route at home which has a temporary pin, no amount of clicking/poking will start the route, I have to move down the street to start the route. Verified it is temporary pin related by starting a route in a random spot which worked fine, then canceled route and added a temporary pin in that random spot and could no longer start a route there. Possibly this is related to the collision detection that does not allow me to drop route points on top of each other? This likely affects continuing a route but I noticed it starting a route.
- The route planning panel takes up a lot of screen real estate and cannot be hidden.
- As reported by @kunstmilch lines cannot be dragged to change the route (I use this a lot in other products). I'll buy you a milkshake if you address this as it is important to me ;)
- While the route snaps to roads the actual route points do not. Upon zooming into my route and looking around I see many of the route points are off of the road (but the route is on the road other than to go to that point and back to the road
1660917872912.png
- When changing the color of my route I cannot exit the color picker panel. A set of static standard colors would be nice here ;)

Other
- I cannot remove a single temporary pin? I have to remove all temporary pins? That is unfortunate :(
- Request. If I create a route that passes another road and then add a route point to the "other road" the route backtracks to the other road instead of directing me along the other road first. Perhaps a picture will help. Notice that route point 4 is created and then backtracks to route point 5. IMO it would be better if route point 5 became route point 4 and route point 4 became route point 5.
1660918622574.png
I tried dragging route points 4 and 5 around to get the affect that I desire and the route went a little cray cray - why does it extend beyond route point 4?
1660918923863.png

I'll continue to use this AWESOME feature and will let all y'all know what I like and dislike ;) Super happy with it!!!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
The first time you use it, there should be a quick tutorial. Also, there is this: OB1 Route Planning

and you are changing the route mode appropriately?

A note: it ignores our custom MVUM layer for now unless the mvum is in the base layer. Turn off mvum layer for a better idea of auto routing.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I should not post before coffee but ubeity has great feedback and I echo much of theirs.

and you are changing the route mode appropriately?

A note: it ignores our custom MVUM layer for now unless the mvum is in the base layer. Turn off mvum layer for a better idea of auto routing.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Initial testing indicates that this is VERY promising! Nice work OB team!

I've got to say, mobile route planning on Gaia (for me, anyways) sucks. It's super slow, after briefly testing this, it's WAY faster. I'll have to load it up on my tablet to see how it does.