D-Subie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Angwin, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Urbina
I recently purchased this Subaru and I’m hearing very loud wind noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side mirror. Does anyone or has anyone felt with this issue or has any ideas on how to fix this?

Darren C Kern

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ridgeway, VA, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Kern
Member #

It is a very well known problem, noise from the window gusset, the little triangle piece in the front corner of your window. There are different ways of addressing it, here is one that I bookmarked when I was thinking about buying a Forester. I noticed the same issue in the ones I test drove.

---------------------------

I was getting really ticked off by wind noise when on the highway at 80mph. So much so that I decided to do something about it.

I tried lubricating and rejuvenating the rubber, but that didn't work.

So I went to Pepboys in search of a solution.

I picked up some LifeLine brand vinyl tubing. I believe it was 5/32" vinyl tubing. I have the part number in the car.

The OD of the tubing is just over 1/4". It's sold in 6 foot lengths, and you'll need one package for each window (I've only done the drivers window and it took about 5.5 feet).

The process is simple.

Start stuffing the tubing between the weather stripping and the interior trim panel. Run it all the way around the window. Then, go back and pull back on the stripping so that it fully encapsulates the vinyl tubing.

This will push the weather stripping out a bit more, and help it seal against the window.

I'll post pictures with the other windows.

The tubing costs about $5 a package, but the results were great. $20 and you don't have to worry about it anymore. I might do the hatch stripping as well, to try and get a better seal around that.

D-Subie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Angwin, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Urbina
It is a very well known problem, noise from the window gusset, the little triangle piece in the front corner of your window. There are different ways of addressing it, here is one that I bookmarked when I was thinking about buying a Forester. I noticed the same issue in the ones I test drove.

---------------------------

I was getting really ticked off by wind noise when on the highway at 80mph. So much so that I decided to do something about it.

I tried lubricating and rejuvenating the rubber, but that didn't work.

So I went to Pepboys in search of a solution.

I picked up some LifeLine brand vinyl tubing. I believe it was 5/32" vinyl tubing. I have the part number in the car.

The OD of the tubing is just over 1/4". It's sold in 6 foot lengths, and you'll need one package for each window (I've only done the drivers window and it took about 5.5 feet).

The process is simple.

Start stuffing the tubing between the weather stripping and the interior trim panel. Run it all the way around the window. Then, go back and pull back on the stripping so that it fully encapsulates the vinyl tubing.

This will push the weather stripping out a bit more, and help it seal against the window.

I'll post pictures with the other windows.

The tubing costs about $5 a package, but the results were great. $20 and you don't have to worry about it anymore. I might do the hatch stripping as well, to try and get a better seal around that.
I tried it with some paracord to see if it would work and it did! I’ll head out to pep boys for some tubing later this week. Thanks so much for the help!