Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Hello. I’m about to install a Sherpa roof rack on my 01 sequoia For carrying kayaks. One of the projects I have planned is to add a solar panel (100 watts or slightly less) to keep a power station charged and fridge running. Ive looked at portable solar but the scenario this will be used most is that I want the panel to charge during the day while we are kayaking. When we come back to camp, the jackery is ready to charge phones and run the fridge overnight. I don’t want to leave a portable panel out all day as I would assume it would disappear before too long.

In my head I see a small panel towards the front of the roof rack where I would have it set down just below the crossbars so the kayaks won’t sit on it. If it needs protection, maybe a plexiglass cover over the top. For ease of installation and to keep costs down, I THINK I can just wire this to the vehicle battery as the sequoia has plenty of stock 12 volt connections already.

What I would like your assistance with is;

1) Will this accomplish what I hope it will?

2) Will this cause any issues with the stock alternator or battery?

3). Where would I be best served to run the cables from the solar panel into the vehicle? I want a clean looking install. * Would KCLites universal wire hider be a good product for this job?

4). Would I be best served to install the charge controller in the engine bay or the cab?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Visiontrd

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Below is the solar panel I have mounted on the roof rack on the top of my F-150. My setup is different than yours as I have a second battery at the back of the truck. I ran the solar cables under the truck and then came into the bed of the truck through the taillight area. Instead of a charge control I have a Redarc DC-DC controller that handles the solar input and doubles as a charger when the truck is running. I've had the panel below on the roof of my truck for a couple of years now and it's still in good shape.

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Below is the solar panel I have mounted on the roof rack on the top of my F-150. My setup is different than yours as I have a second battery at the back of the truck. I ran the solar cables under the truck and then came into the bed of the truck through the taillight area. Instead of a charge control I have a Redarc DC-DC controller that handles the solar input and doubles as a charger when the truck is running. I've had the panel below on the roof of my truck for a couple of years now and it's still in good shape.

Thanks for the reply. The link isn’t there, I just see the Amazon “A”, but nothing happens.

When researching this topic, I see some people mention a “smart alternator”. Am I correct in the assumption my 01 sequoia does not have this and it would not be a factor in my install?

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Not sure if this will help but here is a Sequoia with our rack installing a pnl like you want, have not watched (But will) so might have answers for you:

Jim
I’ve watched a few of their videos. They label their videos as an “install” video, but then don't really show much of the actual install. Thanks for your help. How’s the build coming along?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok I watched it just now, he tells you about cables and such and at the end it shows the brackets for his pnl, so it worked for me and I think I am doing it......I got 2 power packs but I am installing a 31AGM battery and doing the diode mod, in a few months...... Or I will do a dual battery set up like Michael did here:
Jim

Reactions: El-Dracho and Ryker

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In my head I see a small panel towards the front of the roof rack where I would have it set down just below the crossbars so the kayaks won’t sit on it. If it needs protection, maybe a plexiglass cover over the top.
Anything you put over the panel diminishes its output.
I've had mine uncovered on my roof rack for years. I made a set of brackets so it's about a half inch down. Now if I have to load cargo over it, I don't worry. To run the power into the truck, I used a gland nut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryker

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Would I be best served to install the charge controller in the engine bay or the cab?
I prefer my controllers in the vehicle. Most of the controllers don't care. A lifetime of diagnosing and repairing "waterproof" modules has me pretty set on this.

Reactions: Ryker

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Ok I watched it just now, he tells you about cables and such and at the end it shows the brackets for his pnl, so it worked for me and I think I am doing it......I got 2 power packs but I am installing a 31AGM battery and doing the diode mod, in a few months...... Or I will do a dual battery set up like Michael did here:
Jim
Awesome. I’ll watch that video. Thanks!

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
Anything you put over the panel diminishes its output.
I've had mine uncovered on my roof rack for years. I made a set of brackets so it's about a half inch down. Now if I have to load cargo over it, I don't worry. To run the power into the truck, I used a gland nut.
Glad to hear it. I figure if a solar panel can withstand hail, a nudge from a kayak shouldn’t be a big concern. Thanks for the reply.

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Hello. I’m about to install a Sherpa roof rack on my 01 sequoia For carrying kayaks. One of the projects I have planned is to add a solar panel (100 watts or slightly less) to keep a power station charged and fridge running. Ive looked at portable solar but the scenario this will be used most is that I want the panel to charge during the day while we are kayaking. When we come back to camp, the jackery is ready to charge phones and run the fridge overnight. I don’t want to leave a portable panel out all day as I would assume it would disappear before too long.

In my head I see a small panel towards the front of the roof rack where I would have it set down just below the crossbars so the kayaks won’t sit on it. If it needs protection, maybe a plexiglass cover over the top. For ease of installation and to keep costs down, I THINK I can just wire this to the vehicle battery as the sequoia has plenty of stock 12 volt connections already.

What I would like your assistance with is;

1) Will this accomplish what I hope it will?

2) Will this cause any issues with the stock alternator or battery?

3). Where would I be best served to run the cables from the solar panels into the vehicle? I want a clean looking install. * Would KCLites universal wire hider be a good product for this job?

4). Would I be best served to install the charge controller in the engine bay or the cab?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I am looking to add a solar panel on the roof of my 2003 Sequoia. If anybody done that before, how did you route the power cable from the panel to the interior to the charge controller? I would need to route it somewhere in the rear hatch area as the battery pack is in the back.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am looking to add a solar panel on the roof of my 2003 Sequoia. If anybody done that before, how did you route the power cable from the panel to the interior to the charge controller? I would need to route it somewhere in the rear hatch area as the battery pack is in the back.
Drill a hole in your roof and get pass through solar gland housing.

Renogy Solar Cable Entry Gland Housing Mount for RV, Boats, Caravans, Marine https://a.co/d/cYyQHvV

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Drill a hole in your roof and get pass through solar gland housing.

Renogy Solar Cable Entry Gland Housing Mount for RV, Boats, Caravans, Marine https://a.co/d/cYyQHvV
That's good advice. I did the cable grommet for my solar panel like this. It's working perfectly for more than ten years.

Reactions: Jim SoG