Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I have a Razor-Back, 26", Spade Head Shovel and a Estwing Campers Axe on mine....both purchased from my local Home Depot. I thought about the fancy shovel and axe combos available online and from different manufacturers...but....when i thought about it... how often was I going to use it...maybe a couple times a year. I leave both strapped to the bed of my truck and they have held up solidly to South Florida weather for the past 3 years with no issues. Still work how I need them to work when I need them to work. You can buy both for $70 or less. I chose to spend the money saved on some fishing equipment instead :grin:

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Don’t have a lot of experience in this field but I can say I have the friskar 14” & 28” & they work awesome & keep a great edge. Just my 2 cents.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Don’t have a lot of experience in this field but I can say I have the friskar 14” & 28” & they work awesome & keep a great edge. Just my 2 cents.
I have a Fiskars splitting axe and hatchet at home, great tools.

Reactions: Lead K9

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
Currently I have on of the Stanley Fat Max Shovels onboard - Seems well built and can be had for a good deal at Tractor Supply esp. in the fall when they clearance them.

And for Axe's - The Husqvarna Wood handle axes have the same head as the expensive Swedish Axe's (Hults Bruk) - Made in the same foundry. Not sure about their Plastic handled ones.
Review - Husqvarna Carpenter’s Axe Review – Is This Any Good? (2019)

Last edited:

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I just realized I never posted an update to this thread. I did eventually purchase both an axe and a shovel.

For the axe, I bought a Hults Bruk Akka Forester’s Axe thanks to my REI dividend. It will serve double duty as an emergency tool in the Rubi as well as a new toy for camping and playing bushcraft.

For the shovel, I bought a spade from the local Ace Hardware. I considered one of the multi-axe/shovel combos mentioned in this thread as well as a couple collapsible shovels. But in the end I decided on a dedicated shovel with a 3' handle. It is small enough to store, long enough to use comfortably, and didn't break the bank for something that will not see a lot of use.

At first I thought I would be storing both attached to a cargo rack on top of the Jeep. This would definitely look the best! However a couple things came to mind. I didn't want to leave them up there as a tempting target for thieves or vandals. Also, I do not always keep the hardtop, to which the rack is attached, or the rack on the Jeep. But I still want the tools with me for emergencies. Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, it had to be reminded to me that there is empty space below the rear seat. So in using that more efficiently, the axe and shovel are both placed nicely under it with some other gear and hidden out of sight.

I'm very pleased with the purchases and their placement. Now on to upgrading my cargo rack setup and augmenting my recovery kit... :)

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
With regards an axe and shovel just a reminder that having a wooden shaft can cause problems entering some countries like for instance Australia.
For that very resaon we run with composite tools.

bert_t4r

Rank 0

Traveler I

ABQ, NM
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Smith
I roll with an old school True Temper FSS double bit axe. Wood handle. I keep it sanded and use linseed oil between trips. Holds up well. One side sharp for falling and other side a bit limbing and splitting. Also a Wyoming folding saw for little jobs.

Marc_Cross

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm new here...I can attest to the fact that one of those tiny folding U.S military shovel's sold at surplus stores everywhere...will in fact wear your azz out shoveling sand from under your rig stuck at the beach. I'm 6'1" and had to wallow under the vehicle like a mole to clear a high-center.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Skip the Axe, Get a Sevn-saw it's far better. Axes for the most part a waste of time. I carry a full size shovel, the shovels with handles will kill you if you are digging yourself out. A military shovel is good for getting deep under you rig.