Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Recent update: Just finished a few upgrades to the rig.

1. Installed a new 24 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the spare tire void.
2. Complete undercarriage cleaning and painting.
3. Removed second battery under hood and relocated a new lithium battery bank with 200AH inside rig next to Goose Gear cabinet. Built a cage around them to prevent electrical shorts caused by items falling into the space on top of the new batteries. Saved a bunch of weight by losing one of my heavy 31 series AGM batteries.
4. Swapped out front seats to Scheelmann seats with seat heaters and extended tracks. They now slide all the way back. Total game changer for my 6'4" height!!!! Thank you Scheelmann!!!
5. Installed a flexible solar panel on the hood dedicated solely to my cranking battery.
6. Installed a 200watt rigid solar panel on the roof rack for the lithium coach battery system.
7. Replaced my heavy Dobinson springs with ex-heavy rear springs to level the rig from sagging.
8. Replaced front brakes with PowerBrakes....huge upgrade and well worth the spend. OMG, total game changer. My heavy rig wasn't stopping with stock brakes. Also swapped out rears with slotted rotors and high heat pads.
9. Redirected exhaust around new fuel tank.

I'll post more photos later.Front undercarriage repaint 02142024.jpgrear undercarriage repaint 02142024.jpg

Reactions: GLOCKer

BFR812

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Reno, Washoe County, Nevada, United States
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Wanted to show a couple of fabrications we collaborated with Alex at American Overland Expeditions on that came out great. First was an interior mounted ARB dual air compressor. We removed the rear seats and he used the existing bolt holes in the wheel hump to fasten the custom fabbed mounting bracket. He hooked up the electrical, ran the air lines to my rear and front air lockers, installed the switches in the dash, and everything works awesome.

Then I had seen a RAM mounting bar in a Jeep that I wanted in the 80. Scoured the internet and couldn’t find one anywhere. Spoke with Alex, asked if he could build one, and so he did. This thing is da bomb! Rock solid mounting rack for everything RAM. I have my SPOD lighting and battery management tablet mounted, my Magellan TRX7CS, iPhone, iPad, and 2 RAM oscillating cup holders that do not spill! Oh, and also a mount for my GoPro. It’s ridiculously functional. While I was at it, we removed the clock and replaced it with a 2 port USB charger station. I am able to keep all devices on the bar charging when enroute.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
What an awesome build. I have a question however.

How loud is the twin ARB compressor in side the cab?

I would assume that it turns on for a short time when you engage the lockers and when you use it to air up your tires.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Hey Russel, sorry for the late reply. I don't keep up with my OB comms very well. Too many comms portals between 4 email addresses, text messages, social media, you name it. I'm about to throw it all in and get me an old school land line!! Anyway, the dual air compressor is loud inside the cab. When the system is loaded, it shuts down. Doesn't take long, but irritating as hell for a short time. I think it's worth the hassle. My rig has historically run hot under the hood and cooking my compressor, or adding the heat under there didn't make sense. It runs great, stays clean, and when I'm packed, it's very muffled. The dual compressor in the case is another nice option. It comes with a tank as well, so air tools can be run and tires inflate quicker....or so I understand. I'm thinking of adding a larger tank underneath my rig for air storage. I also have an ARB single chamber compressor in my trailer so both are running when airing up. I have 6 35" tires to fill up, so I need all the power I can get!!

Reactions: BFR812

GoogsPlay

Rank I

Contributor II

Hey Russel, sorry for the late reply. I don't keep up with my OB comms very well. Too many comms portals between 4 email addresses, text messages, social media, you name it. I'm about to throw it all in and get me an old school land line!! Anyway, the dual air compressor is loud inside the cab. When the system is loaded, it shuts down. Doesn't take long, but irritating as hell for a short time. I think it's worth the hassle. My rig has historically run hot under the hood and cooking my compressor, or adding the heat under there didn't make sense. It runs great, stays clean, and when I'm packed, it's very muffled. The dual compressor in the case is another nice option. It comes with a tank as well, so air tools can be run and tires inflate quicker....or so I understand. I'm thinking of adding a larger tank underneath my rig for air storage. I also have an ARB single chamber compressor in my trailer so both are running when airing up. I have 6 35" tires to fill up, so I need all the power I can get!!
jpbwyw

Reactions: BFR812