Zoleo or other satellite GPS device data to APRS?

• HTML tutorial

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Would you be interested in such a feature or think it would be beneficial to the overland community?
If you are on Facebook join the APRS users group and see a recent post by Michael Phelps. He has worked to resurrect the SMS messaging capability to APRS and is willing to work with satellite GPS providers to get the GPS data forwarded to the APRS system if there is enough interest.

Just passing the word as it seems it could be useful.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for sharing. So that I understand correctly, what is the aim of the initiative? For example, that we then not only see data points on aprs fi that are transmitted by aprs-capable amateur radios and other transmitters, but also those from GPS messengers such as inReach and the like?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks for sharing. So that I understand correctly, what is the aim of the initiative? For example, that we then not only see data points on aprs fi that are transmitted by aprs-capable amateur radios and other transmitters, but also those from GPS messengers such as inReach and the like?
That is my understanding, not for everyone using GPS satellite devices but amateur radio operators that also use such devices. I do not know if it will be ported to RF or if it will be internet only.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That is my understanding, not for everyone using GPS satellite devices but amateur radio operators that also use such devices. I do not know if it will be ported to RF or if it will be internet only.
That would be an interesting option. I'm often in regions where I can't get a position submitted via the 2m band, for example. The inReach, on the other hand, transmits the position very reliably. It would be great to have both data in one display.

Reactions: Prerunner1982