Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Hey guys and girls,
We are planning on heading to Chech republic and Slovakia this summer. We do not like campsites very much and were wondering what the standpoint is with regards to wildcampig or bivouac in these 2 countries. As far as I know by law it is not allowed but is it tolerated? For example in France it is by law not allowed but this law is almost never applied (in the countryside that is). Is it similar in Chech republic and Slovakia?

Toon

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In the Czech Republic, as in many regions of Europe, wild camping away from campsites is prohibited. As far as I know, this is regulated by the local Forest Act and the Nature and Landscape Act in CZ. As in many other countries, this does not apply to bivouacking or only to a certain extent, i.e. when you are on foot with simple equipment. In parts of the Czech Republic, for example, there are even simple campsites along the main hiking trails for exactly that. A nice thing. Wild camping with a vehicle is also not permitted in Slovakia.

By the way, we are currently working on an idea to raise more awareness for the topic of wild camping and land use and adherence to these rules and to provide members with better information for each region. If you stumble across links to official sites and sources for the laws and regulations during your research, please post them here, as this would be a good source for the little project and other members. Thank you.

I would also have a look at so-called nature campsites. They are often in beautiful locations and are a great alternative to the usual campsites.

Enjoy plannig the trip,
Bjoern

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

In the Czech Republic, as in many regions of Europe, wild camping away from campsites is prohibited. As far as I know, this is regulated by the local Forest Act and the Nature and Landscape Act in CZ. As in many other countries, this does not apply to bivouacking or only to a certain extent, i.e. when you are on foot with simple equipment. In parts of the Czech Republic, for example, there are even simple campsites along the main hiking trails for exactly that. A nice thing. Wild camping with a vehicle is also not permitted in Slovakia.

By the way, we are currently working on an idea to raise more awareness for the topic of wild camping and land use and adherence to these rules and to provide members with better information for each region. If you stumble across links to official sites and sources for the laws and regulations during your research, please post them here, as this would be a good source for the little project and other members. Thank you.

I would also have a look at so-called nature campsites. They are often in beautiful locations and are a great alternative to the usual campsites.

Enjoy plannig the trip,
Bjoern
I'm aware of the official rules. But I'm more interested in the unofficial rules. Like in France it is not allowed as well but it is almost never enforced and people don't mind you do it as long as you are discreet. So was wondering if Chech republic was the same.