The Quest for the Best Knife.

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

I have a Ka-Bar Becker BK2 that I use for car camping and backpacking. Have never had any issues using it whether it be cutting up wood for a fire or food and other things. Thing is literally a beast. It does weigh a bit more than most knives however.

Grant H

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
Member #

The price on those is a lot more affordable than I would have guessed from the appearance.
if you are talking about the LT Wrights they are also handmade in Ohio if that
The price on those is a lot more affordable than I would have guessed from the appearance.
for handmade in the USA and unmatched customer service I think they are a great value. They even have one called the overland machete

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I've also found the CRKT M16 series to be great everyday knives that tolerate a good amount of use and abuse. Depending on size and version/features, they range anywhere from $20 to a little over $100. They are very easy to disassemble if they ever get really dirty or worn and need to be cleaned/repaired. I have one that I've carried daily for 12 years and it's still kicking!
Crkt m16 holds my vote. I carry a m16-01ks daily... actually used it last night to cut my steak at longhorn steakhouse haha. I carry it for a reason huh?

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Morakniv makes some of the best, affordable knives around. You can beat them up and move on to the next one - but you'll find yourself hard-pressed to beat one for good.
I have a couple of their standard Adventure Knives, their full-tang Garberg, and their little Eldris neck knife - which I would recommend to anyone and everyone to pick up.

Eldris - http://morakniv.se/en/produkter/eldris/

I picked up a CRKT Homefront not too long ago and have been nothing but pleased with it. Not only is it a stout knife with a seriously admirable flipper action, but the whole thing can be broken down to be cleaned in seconds.
https://www.crkt.com/homefront.html
Plan to get a CRKT Homefront but going to be hard to set aside my CRKT m16. Great quality.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

My daily carry is a Kershaw Volt ll , camping a SOG Seal Pup, what is nice the sheath for the SOG has a pouch in front for a sharpening stone, that the Kershaw fits perfectly, so I do not have to carry two sheaths, small job the Kershaw large job the SOG

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

The Schrade SCHF9 is my favorite knife, it is great all around knife and less than $40 on amazon. It is if the same quality of knives that cost 5 or 6 times as much. I also carrier a Buck 110 that I have had for 41 years daily.

61pwc3pYLPL._SL1000_.jpg 814eEdD+5-L._SL1500_.jpg buck 110.jpg

Reactions: Flipper

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
A cheap knife for camp tasks might be an Opinel No 8. Locking folder that comes in stainless or carbon steel. Good for slicing all manner of things, but useless for chopping or heavier tasks. The up side is they are very light and float in water. I EDC the slightly shorter No 7 in stainless and love it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I was always told the best knife is the one you have on you at the time. Just recently I got a load of mora clippers brilliant knife for the money I have 9 or 10 floating around in the vehicle, tool boxes camping boxes. The knife that is always with me even now is my Buck folder 110 great knife strong well made.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Ugh, this is a question that will never be answered. Too many cool knives and pieces of gear out there to settle on one. I have a few custom knives that I love but will probably never use as they are too nice haha. My favorite that I actually use at home and on the road are these ESEE knives. Pretty much a photo of my cutting tools in the truck.

The one knife I have with me all the time though is this simple Kershaw Cryo. I keep buying them thinking the old one is going to start showing its age but they keep on working beautifully. This is the only one that really matters.

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I keep a Smith & Wesson Search & Rescue CKSUR1 on my BOB, makes a good camp knife, not a lot invested.

I also keep a Morakniv Companion in my camp gear and a generic decent filet knife in the fishing gear.

I have multiple single blade folders around all the time. My truck bag/GHB has Classic Enlan EL-01A Bee on it. Also have a smaller gerber in the center console and a harbor freight machete behind the back seat (with a little work on the edge it makes a great light brush clearer)

Daily carry is a Schrade Old Timer triblade.

Reactions: Kelly

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I used to think having a good knife meant a sharp blade on my Leatherman but over the last couple of years I've started to appreciate the difference. I was given a Joker knife recently www.joker.es and now really see what it is to have a decent well made knife. I really like the wooden handle and design.

I also have a inexpensive Opinel which is very practical and gets used all the time both out and about and in the kitchen at home.
https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-knives/classic-blades/classic-carbon-steel/no-08-carbon

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

theNAST1EST

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Through many years and many, many knives, I find that the more money I have in a blade, the more I tend to care for it and keep an eye on it. That said, you can easily overspend...kinda like sunglasses.

The best blades to fit my personal budget and expected quality have been the offerings from Spyderco.

I usually always have an Endura 4 or a Delica 4 on me. I'm a huge fan of the full flat grind...you can get them scary sharp without a ton of effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I carry a buck rush assisted opening knife every day. That little knife has cleaned and quartered more game than I care to remember. 2 years ago I shot a cow elk a half mile from my truck and pack, which has several knives in it. The little buck knife skinned and quartered that entire cow. I'd be lost without that knife

Reactions: huachuca

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I just got a CRKT Fossil. absolutely love it as a EDC.
the blade is on the bigger side tho. So a cop may give you crap for it if he sees it.
But this past Christmas my grandma used it to carve the turkey and cut pretty much anything that needed be cut and it worked flawlessly. its also got a decently thick blade so you could pry with it if need be. Its definetly not a benchmade but for 50-80 bucks (depending where you buy and if you get the serrated or not) its a great all around knife. Plus it looks cool as shit lol
View attachment 19831
I just bought my wife that knife yesterday for a camp knife.
My knife is a Kershaw Blur with the Ken Onion blade. It is an awesome knife. I got this knife when I chipped the blade on my Benchmade Mini Barrage. Id gotten my kid one and really liked it, and figured it would work while my Benchmade was out for repair. Well, its been a couple years, and I still haven't sent in my Benchmade, I like the Blur that much.
For the truck I have a good old fashioned K-BAR. I figure if it has worked for the Marines since 1942 it would work for me.
Ive got my eye on a couple other knives Im thinking about picking up for overlanding expeditions, and I also have an interest in taking up knife making.

Reactions: TerryD