SOLVED: Very rough idle/Misfiring after engine wash

• HTML tutorial
1989 Jeep Cherokee. Well, I washed my engine with some degreaser and a light flow of water. (I know, better to just leave it dirty next time.) I didn't go crazy. Now, it starts up but sounds like it's misfiring and it's idling very rough. I checked distributor cap and didn't see any moisture, but i dried everything up anyways. Still the same. Any ideas? I did have a vaccum line going to my throttle body that snapped while washing, but I repaired it with some spare vaccum tube. My throttle position sensor still gives good readings. (On my model of XJ it requires you to manually adjust your TPS) One weird thing is that it starts up much faster than before, but misfires after and continues to idle rough. Any ideas?

Miguel Garcia

Rank 0

Traveler I

El Monte
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Garcia
Have you tried checking the spark plugs to see if any water might have seeped in?

If it did, try cranking the engine without turning it on.

Reactions: zachtyler

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I second checking the spark plugs. Any moisture can cause faulty spark which leads to rough idle and misfire. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago because water got under my coil pack. I recommend using dielectric grease on all spark plugs, etc to deter water from getting in.

Reactions: zachtyler