First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

To all the off road mothers raising kids with adventure and play, you are awesome! Few are as hard-working and brave as you are to bring your kids into the wild! Great job mothering!

A tribute song for you

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
OnX has updated their "recent imagery" as of May 13th and Snow levels look promising for June 7-9th BDR trip. I think we'll still have snow to get through but who knows what 3 weeks will do. Section 3 I think will need to be bi-passed, and I have a tentative route in mind starting at Bethal Ridge (section 2, and 4 (bypass 3)) should be some awesome views.
Our trip this weekend around section's 5 and 6 of the BDR will tell us a lot I think.

Here are a couple shots from the areas we'll see.
These are from July 2021
PXL_20210706_121228015.jpgPXL_20210706_032037911.jpgDSC03057.JPG
PXL_20210706_160749461.jpg
and June 2022
PXL_20220615_142329839-01.jpegPXL_20220616_123838392-02-01.jpegPXL_20220614_214020676-01.jpeg

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
OnX has updated their "recent imagery" as of May 13th and Snow levels look promising for June 7-9th BDR trip. I think we'll still have snow to get through but who knows what 3 weeks will do. Section 3 I think will need to be bi-passed, and I have a tentative route in mind starting at Bethal Ridge (section 2, and 4 (bypass 3)) should be some awesome views.
Our trip this weekend around section's 5 and 6 of the BDR will tell us a lot I think.

Here are a couple shots from the areas we'll see.
These are from July 2021
View attachment 278920View attachment 278925View attachment 278926
View attachment 278924
and June 2022
View attachment 278921View attachment 278922View attachment 278923
This is gonna be a fun trip

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Curious who all is running OnX and who's running Gaia? I run both, I'd previously been Gaia bias, but after the last couple updates, I'm more OnX as my main with Gaia as a backup for information.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Curious who all is running OnX and who's running Gaia? I run both, I'd previously been Gaia bias, but after the last couple updates, I'm more OnX as my main with Gaia as a backup for information.
We’re on Gaia. Never tried OnX but might one day.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
We’re on Gaia. Never tried OnX but might one day.
I think as much as I'm liking OnX, this trip proved it's not ready to be a stand alone solution. several flaws showed through that I think just mean I will keep Gaia as well. I'm not sure if I had to choose one which one I'd choose... I kinda feel like OnX, at least recently is making more improvements, but Gaia still has a lot of good aspects that OnX is lacking. Especially for planning/exporting.

It was nice to have John running Gaia while I had OnX and there were a couple instances where he gave me some guidance I didn't have. I think I'll just run both on my tablet on the trip. not sure which one I'll record on, Gaia has turn by turn guidance even on user created routes which is awesome... something that bit me once with OnX (Sorry again Erin!)

OnX definitely has good info on ideas for routes... several of the sections we did this last trip were linking "trails" off OnX together.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
One Discussion a few of us had around the campfire one night was about doing a "meetup" at the OHV park just outside of Spokane.
The thought would be this would be a (Somewhat) controlled environment for folks to test their skills/limits, as well as their vehicles limits/capabilities to hopefully feel more comfortable out on the trail. The OHV park goes from extremely mild, to fairly wild for 4x4's. while it's mostly geared for dirtbikes/ATV's/SXS's there are plenty of hill climbs, off camber, whoops (think GIANT washboard) even a small rock garden.

I also would like to do some recoveries so I'll be contacting the parks department to see if I'm allowed to intentionally stick a rig or two, and recover them to help folks get used to the process, that being said, I'm not a recovery expert by any means, and expect that many of you will have insights I will learn from as well. My intention is to hopefully take some of the PANIC and Fear out of getting stuck, pulling winch line, and just general recovery.

I'm not sure exactly when we would do it... just want to see who's interested. it would be a single day (probably a couple hours) for those coming from way out of town, there a few places I could suggest for camping near-ish to the OHV park