Is your Toyota rusty? Do you want $15k? Read this...

• HTML tutorial

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/14/toyota-to-pay-up-to-3-4-billion-to-resolve-rust-claims-from-truck-owners.html

"From Article"
Rust can be a problem on nearly any vehicle, but on 1.5 million Toyota trucks and SUVs, it's proven to be especially bad. Now, the Japanese automaker has agreed to pony up $3.4 billion to settle a federal class action lawsuit related to rust.

The lawsuits claim that Toyota provided inadequate rust protection on certain Sequoia, Tacoma, and Tundra models. As a result, owners say that those vehicles' frames can corrode, ruining their structural integrity. Affected vehicles include:

• 2005-2008 Toyota Sequoia
  • 2005-2010 Toyota Tacoma
  • 2007-2008 Toyota Tundra
Toyota agreed to a settlement that amounts to roughly $15,060 per affected vehicle. That sum is based on an average figure of $60 for a vehicle inspection and $15,000 for frame replacement.

Note, however, that this isn't a recall, and that Toyota isn't planning to replace 1.5 million vehicle frames. In fact, the automaker admitted no liability or wrongdoing in agreeing to the settlement.

Instead, Toyota will:

• provide compensation to owners;
  • inspect frames for 12 years from the day that vehicles were first sold/leased; and,
  • reimburse owners who've already paid for frame replacement.
In addition to the $3.4 billion settlement, Toyota will also pay $10 million for costs related to the lawsuit, $9.75 million of which will go to plaintiffs' attorneys.

Can you say... New overland gear fund?!

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

You only get $15k if you had the frame replaced before the settlement as reimbursement since owners paid out of pocket. Otherwise you just get a new frame and that's it...My brother in law just went through this and they only gave him the option of getting the frame replaced and that's it.

E

expeditionnorth

You only get $15k if you had the frame replaced before the settlement as reimbursement since owners paid out of pocket. Otherwise you just get a new frame and that's it...My brother in law just went through this and they only gave him the option of getting the frame replaced and that's it.
thats sad

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Toyota just put a new frame under my '04 Doublecab at 159k. New frame, brake lines, lower control arms, body mounts, leaf springs, gas tank straps and ball joints. I had them put in a new steering rack since mine was leaking. No cost for installation. It rides like new! The gas gauge wasn't working when I got it back. It turned out there was a crack around where the inlet on the tank goes. I picked up a used one and had them put that in.

I guess the good part is that it will help with a possible sale come spring time.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Reliable...yes....nothing is rustproof
My truck has been in Michigan all it's life. It has a little spot on the lower corner of the tailgate and that is it. There is a spot on the driver's door that has been bare metal since a couple months after I got it in '05 and it barely even has surface rust. The frame on the other hand, that was bad. They inspected and coated it back in '09. I would have been about a grand short of what I paid for it had they bought it back.

Another good thing is I probably won't be driving it much at all this winter seeing I have a kidney surgery coming up next month fingers crossed. That is going to lay me up for a while. That should keep it nice and clean!

Its tough to find a Dodge/Ram around here 5 years or older without rust on the rear fenders. The Upper Peninsula is even worse on vehicles.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

My truck has been in Michigan all it's life. It has a little spot on the lower corner of the tailgate and that is it. There is a spot on the driver's door that has been bare metal since a couple months after I got it in '05 and it barely even has surface rust. The frame on the other hand, that was bad. They inspected and coated it back in '09. I would have been about a grand short of what I paid for it had they bought it back.

Another good thing is I probably won't be driving it much at all this winter seeing I have a kidney surgery coming up next month fingers crossed. That is going to lay me up for a while. That should keep it nice and clean!

Its tough to find a Dodge/Ram around here 5 years or older without rust on the rear fenders. The Upper Peninsula is even worse on vehicles.
Glad you got pretty much everything fixed or replaced...i'll keep you in my prayers for the surgery and speedy recovery so you can get back to the adventures

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Yep, my brother got a new frame out of the deal. He took the opportunity to have a bunch of work done since a lot of things were easily accessible at that time and they've continued to run it. His was really bad...mine wasn't nearly as bad as his. At the time, he had to really fight to get them to do the replacement, but there is no way that thing was safe at the time.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Yep, my brother got a new frame out of the deal. He took the opportunity to have a bunch of work done since a lot of things were easily accessible at that time and they've continued to run it. His was really bad...mine wasn't nearly as bad as his. At the time, he had to really fight to get them to do the replacement, but there is no way that thing was safe at the time.
My service writer has been there as long as I have had the truck and is really good. He did the inspection a couple days after I spoke with Toyota. Mine was rusted out on the axle arches instead of by the spring mounts like they usually do.

My nephew bought a 2001 XtraCab last summer that had a new frame under it. I initially went and looked at it for him. The owner and his son both bought new Tacomas back in '01. His son lifted his and yanked all the suspension out of it not long after he got it. The old man had the dealer put that stuff on his when they did the frame swap. It rides like new and has 189k on it.