Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
With no one administering tests, is there a good second choice for a radio that you’re using on the trail?
Trying to complete my Yukon XL build and want to get the right stuff the first time.
Should I just wait? Thanks for any advice.
They are testing. Taking my test tomorrow.

Reactions: RAMXPLR

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

With no one administering tests, is there a good second choice for a radio that you’re using on the trail?
Trying to complete my Yukon XL build and want to get the right stuff the first time.
Some clubs are testing in person and you can seach for one near you HERE, BUT also check HERE for remote testing too.

But, if that doesn't work for you, my choice would be a Midland MXT-275 GMRS radio. With a length of Cat5/Cat6 cable, you can mount the radio body anywhere, and put an RJ45 mic pass-thru (like THIS or THIS or THIS for your make/model vehicle) on your dash to mount the mic where it's convenient.

Last edited:

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I’ll check into that. Thanks for answering!
Some clubs are testing in person and you can seach for one near you HERE, BUT also check HERE for remote testing too.

But, if that doesn't work for you, my choice would be a Midland MXT-275 GMRS radio. With a length of Cat5/Cat6 cable, you can mount the radio body anywhere, and put an RJ45 mic pass-thru (like THIS or THIS or THIS for your make/model vehicle) on your dash to mount the mic where it's convenient.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I’ll check into that. Thanks for answering!

Thanks for the easy links to Amazon. Very helpful. Being a complete novice with ground based comms for my truck (Im an airline pilot using HF’s across the Atlantic every week) with Midland radio you suggested be able to communicate with guys on the trail using hams and vice versa?

Reactions: LostInThought

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

They are testing. Taking my test tomorrow.
Good luck! Thanks!

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Thanks for the easy links to Amazon. Very helpful. Being a complete novice with ground based comms for my truck (Im an airline pilot using HF’s across the Atlantic every week) with Midland radio you suggested be able to communicate with guys on the trail using hams and vice versa?
GMRS and ham are two different animals. Usually clubs use one or the other. Many hams (like me) keep both in their vehicle.

GMRS uses discrete frequencies around 462MHz and 467MHz (voice only). Mobile ham is typically ~144MHz or ~440MHz (voice and/or digital), though many of the ham rigs can also receive on the GMRS frequencies, and while not legal according to the FCC's regulations, some ham rigs can also transmit on GMRS frequencies. However, others have pointed out here that legality and enforcement are two different things - not that I'm encouraging anyone to break the law, but in an actual emergency, any usage a licensed ham believes is necessary to save life or limb is explicitly permitted under the FCC regulations.

Both ham and (some) GMRS radios are capable of using repeaters to relay their signal beyond line-of-sight. Here in New Mexico, there are ~28 GMRS repeaters and over 320 ham repeaters. Many of the ham repeaters are additionally linked together, so if you can reach ANY one of them, you can be heard on ALL of them, potentially extending your communication range to hundreds of miles - one can talk to Fort Collins, Colorado from Albuquerque, New Mexico using one of the linked repeater systems. Even with a fairly low power radio, I'm able to reach repeaters ~50miles away. (There are also digital repeaters, that can pass a transmission over the internet and out of another repeater in a very remote location - I've talked to Australia, but that's not as useful for overlanders. :wink:)

Both ham and GMRS are available in vehicle mounted units (GMRS typically 15-40 Watts and ham typically 20-100 Watts) or handheld units (aka handy talkies or HTs, around 5 Watts).

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

GMRS and ham are two different animals. Usually clubs use one or the other. Many hams (like me) keep both in their vehicle.

GMRS uses discrete frequencies around 462MHz and 467MHz (voice only). Mobile ham is typically ~144MHz or ~440MHz (voice and/or digital), though many of the ham rigs can also receive on the GMRS frequencies, and while not legal according to the FCC's regulations, some ham rigs can also transmit on GMRS frequencies. However, others have pointed out here that legality and enforcement are two different things - not that I'm encouraging anyone to break the law, but in an actual emergency, any usage a licensed ham believes is necessary to save life or limb is explicitly permitted under the FCC regulations.

Both ham and (some) GMRS radios are capable of using repeaters to relay their signal beyond line-of-sight. Here in New Mexico, there are ~28 GMRS repeaters and over 320 ham repeaters. Many of the ham repeaters are additionally linked together, so if you can reach ANY one of them, you can be heard on ALL of them, potentially extending your communication range to hundreds of miles - one can talk to Fort Collins, Colorado from Albuquerque, New Mexico using one of the linked repeater systems. Even with a fairly low power radio, I'm able to reach repeaters ~50miles away. (There are also digital repeaters, that can pass a transmission over the internet and out of another repeater in a very remote location - I've talked to Australia, but that's not as useful for overlanders. :wink:)

Both ham and GMRS are available in vehicle mounted units (GMRS typically 15-40 Watts and ham typically 20-100 Watts) or handheld units (aka handy talkies or HTs, around 5 Watts).
Thank you for forwarding all your knowledge. I greatly appreciate it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Apparently one still needs a license for gmrs radio?
Yes license is required
Looking for a quick and easy solution to getting comms set up to fit in with overlanding. I want a radio that can communicate with most everyone on the trail, and family members that hike away from the rig?
GMRS fits the bill for family members... to communicate with other Overlanders you should have all three... In my primary trail truck I run Ham and have a cb that hasn’t been turned in I years, in my secondary rig, I’m not allowed to install Comms gear (it’s actually my wife’s car), so I run strictly a Ham handheld radio... most of the guys I run with run ham, so it was an obvious choice for me to select ham. If your group is running CB, then get a CB... if the group is running GMRS and all you have is CB you’re out of luck.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
I may be incorrect, but are you not allowed to take the Ham test online now? Not sure what the URL is and bet someone on the site has or knows the link.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's a family license for about $75. No test involved
Linky?

OP, none of the locals here, have a license for their hams. They sure as heck aren't going to jump through hoops for one.