Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
Hello All,

I am in the midst of planning our first major trip. We are going to be camping around the Grand Canyon. I visited the GC 10 years ago over Memorial Day weekend, and will now be taking my 10 and 8 year old for their first time.

Last time I was with 4 buddies and we drove up from Luke AFB(Phoenix) where we were doing some training.

I am fairly new to all of this still. I am specifically looking for recommendations for the Grand Canyon. Also generally looking for recommendations on how to plan these types of trips.

We're driving down from Idaho, to Las Vegas to spend a few days with my mom. After that, we intend to visit Bearizona, and then actually start our trip. We will be coming up from the Flagstaff area to start. I want to find some great locations to explore and relax.

After a few days at the GC I think we will head up to Zion before heading back home.

Las Vegas will be 24-26th of this Month. Then starting on the 27th(Memorial Day) we will begin the actual adventure, returning home to ID on the 1st of June. So anything from Flagstaff to Boise is kind of in play if I am able to fit it in.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would use ioverlander for camp sites. The south side is most likely booked solid, check the nat'l park site. Look at the north rim or Williams. Nat'l park camp sites go up 1 year in advance mostly. I book a year in advance. I would check Zion also.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Questions, What will you be driving, How much and how hard of trails you looking for? Do you disperse camp or need camp sites?
Off the top of my head, Dispersed camping near Williams Az, great area lots of pines , several lakes and a lot of free camping in some great forest area. Fr140 just outside Williams has a lot of dispersed camp spots , with Kaibab lake and Dogtown lake within a few miles.
GC, North Rim is the place to camp, a couple cg's:
North Rim Campground
DeMotte Campground

More info: Your Ultimate Guide to Campgrounds North Rim Grand Canyon

Jim

'52Chevy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
Questions, What will you be driving, How much and how hard of trails you looking for? Do you disperse camp or need camp sites?
Off the top of my head, Dispersed camping near Williams Az, great area lots of pines , several lakes and a lot of free camping in some great forest area. Fr140 just outside Williams has a lot of dispersed camp spots , with Kaibab lake and Dogtown lake within a few miles.
GC, North Rim is the place to camp, a couple cg's:
North Rim Campground
DeMotte Campground

More info: Your Ultimate Guide to Campgrounds North Rim Grand Canyon

Jim
Very valid point. I could have sworn I typed out that info, but that must have been on another forum.

Driving a 3/4 ton Suburban, with RTT. Not looking for anything extremely difficult, but the rig is capable. Dispersed camping.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I always tell folks to go to Meteor Crater if they can, it will impress the hell out of 10-8yo! Speaking of them what are they interested in? Do they know anything about Mountain Men or Pioneers, geology of the West? I would then plan my trip around seeing that kind of stuff. Plenty of it out there and on the University of YouTube.

Reactions: '52Chevy

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello David, first off blessings for your service, thank you. I lived in Az for 60 years and I would suggest you go to the North rim. Two links below for some ideas. It would be a longer drive than the South rim, but far less crowded and much closer to Utah when you leave. In the Page Az area be sure to stop by the Horseshoe bend overlook,
Horseshoe Bend Overlook - Grand Canyon Visitor Center
Also in the Page area are the Antelope slot canyons, well worth a side trip.
Antelope Canyon Photos: Where Water Runs Through Rocks.
A little time seeing the Vermillion Cliffs area is nice as well.
If you are up for a hike and can get in, (lottery) the Wave is awesome.

Links for the North Rim.
DM me if you have questions and bring a camera, you will not regret that area.
Rich

slowcarfast

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sunshine State
First Name
James
Last Name
Barber
I've been researching for a similar trip later this summer. Some searches brought up some boondocking options near both parks. There's national forest with dispersed camping close to both rims of GC. And BLM and national forest South of Rockville, West of Zion, and some other public land options east, although likely a longer drive to get to the main part of the park. I've done some just searching maps for roads on public land close by, then some google searches to gauge road condition and camping availability.

I think overland journal also has an off pavement route detailed from South of Sedona to GC that might give some ideas too. Just google for their overland routes. (Edit: Overland Routes | Northern Arizona Traverse - Expedition Portal )

Edit: Random ideas found via the google box. No first hand experience!
Boondocking Near Zion National Park (Free Camping For Everyone) | by Frank Foley | Medium
The BEST Free Dispersed Camping Near Grand Canyon National Park - TMBtent

Last edited: