Washington
First Name
David
Last Name
Uthmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7LZJ
Yesterday morning started as a great day. Woke up in a beautiful location with bats flying overhead, the quiet gurgle of a nearby river, and a beautiful sky. We started a small fire to sit around while we made our coffee and ate some donuts. As we sat there looking across the valley, we say an odd cloud poke it's head over the mountain peak on the other side of the valley. And, something seemed a bit odd. I fired up my new drone and flew up above the trees to take a hyperlapse of the cloud, while someone called the ranger station. We knew the area had been close to a burn ban, and with the odd cloud, we wanted to be sure what we were seeing. Sure enough, after just a couple of moments, we were told to evacuate the area by the rangers because of the rapidly developing Bolt Creek Fire.

We never got an alert, and were lucky enough to be awake and in cell coverage - 2 miles up the road, and cell signal goes from pretty good to non-existent in the space of about 100 feet. So, what do you use to get weather, fire and other emergency alerts when you are out of cell (and possibly radio) range?

Reactions: zgfiredude

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

National Weather Service radio channels are used to notify people of all hazards. I do not know if woodland fires use the codes to set off tone alerts based on location. Any weather radio can do this. Ham radios can listen to NWS but I am not aware of any that can use the tone alert by location feature.

Reactions: Kardolf

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
National Weather Service radio channels are used to notify people of all hazards. I do not know if woodland fires use the codes to set off tone alerts based on location. Any weather radio can do this. Ham radios can listen to NWS but I am not aware of any that can use the tone alert by location feature.
I’m pretty sure the Icom Ic-7100 has the ability to use tone alerts by location if a person has the optional gps antenna. I know there is a setting for WX Alerts in the menus, I have never tried myself because I don’t have the gps antenna.

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I’m pretty sure the Icom Ic-7100 has the ability to use tone alerts by location if a person has the optional gps antenna. I know there is a setting for WX Alerts in the menus, I have never tried myself because I don’t have the gps antenna.
Yeah I have the 5100. While the 7100 could have a feature I haven’t seen, the weather services uses PL codes that are different than what repeaters use. Why ham radio manufacturers don’t include these tones as well is beyond me but they have their reasons I guess.

Bad Sport

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

National City, CA, USA
First Name
Lyle
Last Name
Mardis
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Yesterday morning started as a great day. Woke up in a beautiful location with bats flying overhead, the quiet gurgle of a nearby river, and a beautiful sky. We started a small fire to sit around while we made our coffee and ate some donuts. As we sat there looking across the valley, we say an odd cloud poke it's head over the mountain peak on the other side of the valley. And, something seemed a bit odd. I fired up my new drone and flew up above the trees to take a hyperlapse of the cloud, while someone called the ranger station. We knew the area had been close to a burn ban, and with the odd cloud, we wanted to be sure what we were seeing. Sure enough, after just a couple of moments, we were told to evacuate the area by the rangers because of the rapidly developing Bolt Creek Fire.

We never got an alert, and were lucky enough to be awake and in cell coverage - 2 miles up the road, and cell signal goes from pretty good to non-existent in the space of about 100 feet. So, what do you use to get weather, fire and other emergency alerts when you are out of cell (and possibly radio) range?
It pays to keep your head on a swivel. Good job David.