Anderson Sb50 Connectors under water? Or what 50 amp connectors for 6 gauge wire under water?

• HTML tutorial

NoMoreGreen

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Mckinney Texas
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Redacted
Member #

Looking at getting My Red Arc BCDC 1225 hooked up and looking for connectors that will withstand water and 50 amps to quickly disconnect.

For deep water crossings is this something I need to worry about?

IF so, will anderson Sb50s / anderson powerpolesdo thet rick?

feelfree to tell me im over thinking this....

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Normally not a problem. Water is a terrible conductor and at 12v DC it isn't going to have any effect on an Anderson connector.
Getting the contacts wet may lead to corrosion. Putting grease or Vaseline on the contacts before plugging them together will solve that.
Also, mount the plugs high up in the engine bay/vehicle, they will get wet less often.

Reactions: NoMoreGreen

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Filling the back of the connector with something like sikaflex takes care of most corrosion issues you might have. They also make weatherproof boots for the back of sb50 connectors.

I also found these the other day. They look like they should be compatible with a standard sb50 connector as well....

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I have an sb5o on my bumper to plug in my compressor that's been submerged in water quite a few times, not to mention just being out in the rain and elements and it's fine. It used to be hot all the time until I ran it to a solenoid and aux switch to actually turn it off. 2+ years later, it works fine and have had no issues about it shorting.

Reactions: SemperParatus