Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Thought I'd drop a line on some long term travel and lessons learned along the way. Experience has been overwhelming at times. Freedom to move and explore is underrated. LOL. I think the biggest problems we've experienced has been finding places to stay and making reservations. Seems like when making reservations online, every park and RV park is full but when we get there, no one is there. Very strange and typical in about 4 states. Our first part of this journey was to see family members that are sick with cancer and then move on to seeing the Country again. The places we've stayed are magnificent. The pure beauty is astounding. No problems with the rig yet but the trailer has a bad toilet (gaskets weep) and we'll replace that when we get to our base of operations in Missouri. Other than that it's been amazing.
Y'all be safe out there and if you have the chance, get out. Don't wait.
Zim
IMG-2067.JPG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Thought I'd add some pictures and edit the title.
Turned out to be 50 days, 13 States, 10 Camps and 5,200 miles.
Zim

Mike Roess State Park, Keystone Heights Florida
DSC05311.jpg

These are some Civilian Conservation Corps cabins constructed in the mid 1930's.

DSC05407.jpg

Colleton State Park Waltersboro South Carolina
DSC05418.jpg

One of my favorites was Staunton River State Park on the John H. Kerr Dam and Reservoir.
DSC05503.jpg

DSC05513-2.jpg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Huge fan of Virginia State Parks.

DSC05613.jpg

My old stomping grounds outside Washington DC, Cedarville State Park in Maryland.
DSC05662.jpg

And of course the C&O Canal from Washington DC to Cumberland WVA. 125 miles.
DSC05688-2.jpg

Very fortunate to camp at Patuxent River Naval Air Station. Dragging a 21 trailer over active runways is interesting. LOL. Just blessed to stay here.
DSC05887.jpg

Then off to West Virginia. Seneca Rocks is a favorite of mine since the 1960's. Climbed
this rock many times and signed the log at the summit.
DSC05942.jpg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Wow it's been a week. Headed down to Springfield Missouri and spent some time with family and friends. Worked there for about 5 years prior but left the town due to crime and drugs.
Nice to come back, but glad to leave too. LOL
Arrived in Oklahoma this afternoon. Ft. Gibson Lake near Prior OK. Beautiful Lake and no one is here.
Zim

IMG-0174.jpg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Dave, thank you for sharing your pictures and adventures! Looks like some amazing memories are being created, adding some places to see to our list:)
That lake in Oklahoma was "money" LOL. The campground is called Wildwood Recreation Area and was empty almost. Hundreds of white and grey Heron's and some Osprey also. Lake is amazing
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
So after some heavy traveling we ended up in North Texas to help a family member dying from cancer. It's not a fun thing to do but service to others is important to us. We arrived in September and it's a beautiful area with a lake very close by. We done some short trips around and love the area.
Knowing we might be here a while, and me with not much to do, I picked up what I consider a dream job building new cars. Shelbys to be exact. Loving the work and still able to take care of our loved one.
I encourage everyone to hug and kiss their loved one today, and everyday. Like is short sometimes and you will not regret it.
Zim

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
So after some heavy traveling we ended up in North Texas to help a family member dying from cancer. It's not a fun thing to do but service to others is important to us. We arrived in September and it's a beautiful area with a lake very close by. We done some short trips around and love the area.
Knowing we might be here a while, and me with not much to do, I picked up what I consider a dream job building new cars. Shelbys to be exact. Loving the work and still able to take care of our loved one.
I encourage everyone to hug and kiss their loved one today, and everyday. Like is short sometimes and you will not regret it.
Zim
awesome!
you are right about service to others. society has been accelerating toward a very self-centered way of living and its nice to have folk like you who havent lost sight of how things are supposed to be...

and again, your pictures are simply amazing. i'm sure you could take pics that would even make south louisiana look good!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
awesome!
you are right about service to others. society has been accelerating toward a very self-centered way of living and its nice to have folk like you who havent lost sight of how things are supposed to be...

and again, your pictures are simply amazing. i'm sure you could take pics that would even make south louisiana look good!
Thanks Grub. Louisiana is a beautiful state and especially the wetlands and marsh areas. Most folks ignore those areas but I love them. Dangerous but beautiful. LOL
Thanks
Zim

Reactions: Shahn and grubworm

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Update from Texas.
Well as we expected our family member passed away and we're helping the kids process her death, estate and some other things. I actually took a job through this process while Deborah took care of her sister. Getting ready to head north again into the Ozarks and Missouri. We survived 28* weather, ice storm and 80mph side winds throughout our stay here so adventure was had by all.
I'll update y'all when we take off probably in the next 30-45 days.
We will be Campground Host in Missouri this summer and fall also.
Zim

IMG-0655.jpg
DSC07517.JPG
IMG-0803.jpg
DSC07386.JPG

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Sorry to hear of the loss but glad to hear of people stepping up to support other.
Great pictures!

In your first post you wrote, "Seems like when making reservations online, every park and RV park is full but when we get there, no one is there." That is SO true! So many of the trips we've done over the last couple of years have been through "Fully reserved" campgrounds that no one is at! Only the first come first served seem to be full. It's frustrating because sometimes you want to be around like-minded people and chit-chat over different rigs and set ups.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Sorry to hear of the loss but glad to hear of people stepping up to support other.
Great pictures!

In your first post you wrote, "Seems like when making reservations online, every park and RV park is full but when we get there, no one is there." That is SO true! So many of the trips we've done over the last couple of years have been through "Fully reserved" campgrounds that no one is at! Only the first come first served seem to be full. It's frustrating because sometimes you want to be around like-minded people and chit-chat over different rigs and set ups.
As soon as we get back I'm finding out. We'll be campground host in September and October. I will report back. lol
Zim

Reactions: Shahn and AggieOE

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
And we're off. Headed out of North Texas day before yesterday and so glad for it. Love Texas but too much hustle and Bussel for me. Trip was sketch as the weather was junk. Wind, rain and lots of 18 wheelers for the stress bank. LOL. Currently resting in Oklahoma and leaving for Springfield Missouri in a few hours. Can't wait to be down in the mountains for a few months. We need the rest.
Zim
IMG-0883.jpg
My view out the front door this morning.
IMG-0882.jpg