Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Hoping someone on here is smarter than I am. I'm currently running a single Bosch 94R AGM 80AH battery in my tacoma.

I've ordered this kit:

My goal is to be able to run my SnoMaster fridge for 2 days parked:

Now, here's where my issue lays. I suck at math. Looking to see if this kit would be sufficient to run the fridge for 2 days (given there's sun).

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Note sure if I did the math correctly either, but if you do this: 12v x 80AH = 960 Watt Hours 960 Watt Hours/66 Watts of your fridge = 14.54 hours on a fully charged battery.

I don't know what the math would be for your 100W solar panel and charge controller and amount of watt hours it will provide your battery? Guess it would depend on how much sun you get in a day to make up for what it'd be using. A 100 watt panel produces an average of about 6 amps per peak sun hour, or about 30 amp-hours per day. Based on this simple math, you could possibly get by with 2 days. Maybe turn off fridge at night and only turn on for like 10 hours during the day?

Reactions: diabetiktaco

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hoping someone on here is smarter than I am. I'm currently running a single Bosch 94R AGM 80AH battery in my tacoma.

I've ordered this kit:

My goal is to be able to run my SnoMaster fridge for 2 days parked:

Now, here's where my issue lays. I suck at math. Looking to see if this kit would be sufficient to run the fridge for 2 days (given there's sun).
how many panels are you getting. Outdoor RV puts 3 of the 100 watt panels on their trailers... but they power more than a fridge with them. I would say for fridge and possibly camp lights you should be good.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

how many panels are you getting. Outdoor RV puts 3 of the 100 watt panels on their trailers... but they power more than a fridge with them. I would say for fridge and possibly camp lights you should be good.
Just the one. I'm not even sure if I can make room for the one yet. I need to do some shuffling around now.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
From the solar side you are fine. Having a 95-100ah battery would be better. You will likely be fine but see below...

There are way too many variables to give you an exact answer. What is the temperature outside and inside the vehicle? What do you have the fridge temperature set at? What is the amp draw of the fridge while running? How full is it? (The more full the better), what kind of sun are you getting? Winter (lower angles) summer higher angles. This is one reason why I like to have portable panels. Put my vehicle in the shade and my panel(s) in the sun.

Reactions: diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

This is one reason why I like to have portable panels. Put my vehicle in the shade and my panel(s) in the sun.
Good point. I do have a Zamp portable as well. It's a 90W. I was just looking for something more set it and forget it. Maybe I'll stick w/ the portable for the time being.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I have 420 watts on the roof of my trailer. And a 120w portable folding panel. Many, many times, my portable panel, angled to the sun greatly outperforms the roof panels. There is nothing like having the panels angled to the sun with no shade obstructing the sun.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Mounted the panel today which fit very nicely. Ignore the mounting feet. I realized after I took pics I did it wrong and then went and re did it. I'm going to get a solar controller and use this and my portable.

85240856_10157973148903544_2631464112218963968_o.jpg