Your favorite chair

• HTML tutorial

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Gee, I like my "scissors" folding chairs. Very comfortable.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Scissor chair is too long when they are folded. Remember most SUV's distance between rear pass bench and tali gate is about 40 in, so folding chair length is about 40 in too. it's too bulky to take, consider other staff.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

We finally got tired of cheap, uncomfortable chairs and decided to splurge on a pair of Coleman suspension chairs. They are extremely comfortable. The downside is they are not cheap, and they take up a lot of room. Totally worth it, though.

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

Helinox Sunset Chair is the best I've had. Sits a bit higher off the ground then your average light weight chair, but has a high back that is comfortable and doesn't make you slouch over. It is extremely light, packs up small and takes a few seconds to setup. Bought one for both my parents and looking to get my brother one next as a holiday gift. Most importantly, takes up minimal space in my 2 door JK.

Only con I would say is there are no arm rests, but that doesn't bother me at all. You can find them on sale every so often from REI, I think I bought mine from MooseJaw for 15% or 20% off

Reactions: Shamu

Tres

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

I hate scissor folding chairs, it's very uncomfortable. Costco sells chair with tray on side, it comfy, but transportation size is huge. Look front runners chair:
Expander Camping Chair - by Front Runner

looks nice but more looking at it feels like filmmaker chair.
I have had good look with a Helinox Chair One when I hunt. Packs up tiny and just the right height for a ground blind. Now I pack a couple in my overland rig. I also have 4 of the Front Runner chairs, and like them. They pack up smaller than a normal folding scissor chair. The legs fold in the middle as well.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Totally dig my Helinox One as well! It's amazing how comfortable these little lightweight chairs are. AND, it fits neatly inside my ARB drawers-can't ask for more than that.

FYI, just got my 20% off One Full Price REI coupon in the mail yesterday. There's one way to save on Helinox!

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I heard about Helix is really good. it's not cheap ~ 65 some bucks but more likely its worth it.

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

In my search stemming from having the same Costco chairs in my Tacoma, here's where I ended up.

I wanted a scissor-style chair without the sag in the middle, weird sitting angle, and sucky armrests. I looked at helinox but no armrests, lack of stability when compared to traditional footprints, and I wanted quick setup time.

Here's what I found after way too much searching online:

Eureka has a new line of chairs bother regular ($70) and low height ($50) (shorter packed length for your rig).

Alps Mountaineering Leisure chair which is identical to the Eureka I found cheap ($30) on Sierra TP vs Amazon ($60).

And lastly a nice Alps Rendezvous low chair for a good price ($30) on Amazon.

All had good reviews and met my requirements. Hope this helps!

Reactions: phlfly

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
We were also tired of the sagging, mesh tear prone, cheap chairs. It also was a packing nuisance to figure out the cargo tetris of 2 beach chairs. After much exploring we found the Kelty loveseat. This would also allow us to sit together when by the campfire. Be honest, we all end up trying to sit as close as possible with the saggy armrest overlapping our loved ones to get those campfire snuggles.

Notable things when figuring out if you'd like the low or regular height.

I'm 6'5 and being able to sit and have my legs straight out to relax was something I wanted. The low will give you this, which is what we chose, but you'll sacrifice being able to stand up with a drink and plate in hand gracefully (especially for those of us over 30 ) Haha.

We are considering purchasing the regular height also and having both with us.

It's nice having the loveseat with children, another reason for the purchase. Our 1 year old daughter can now sit between us for meals or by the fire.

Good luck on your purchase. It's hard to decide with so many choices, but it looks like the others here have great choices for you also.

Happy trails!

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
1 other detail on the kelty chairs. The cupholders have a piece in the them that folds flush to the rear to create a large pocket for items such as a phone, keys, flashlight etc that tends to be bigger than a 12oz can. Or, you can fold out to create a2 part pocket and still able to sit your yeti rambler in it and a pack of nabs in the rear of pocket. This was also a deciding factor for us on purchasing.

Also, the bag doubles as a carry bag for all your gear or firewood. They actually advertise this with the chair.

Check REI if near you and you can score one 20% off. MSRP is usually $100-$110.

Reactions: Willp_07

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

BigBlueOx_trd I forgot to mention the Kelty Low Loveseat. I have one as well, they're great! Got to chill with the kiddos too.

Check ExpertVoice or OutdoorProLink for deals, that's how I got mine for significantly less. You have to qualify first (Military/First Responder/Outdoor Company Employee/Guide/etc)

Reactions: BigBlueOx_TRD

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

I bought my Aluminum folding directors style chair at Harbor Freight for $19.99 (with coupon, I think they are $21.99 now). They weigh about 2lbs ea and have a folding table on 1 side and pouchs on the other. They are made with a green material and aluminum.

Last edited:

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

ARB EMU Directors chairs. I have smaller Helx one, which are great but the ARB are pure comfort. They also fold into a small square size. They are cheaper and look more durable than the front runner equivalent.